This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Stylish and Complex Combat in a Game

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Stylish and Complex Combat in a Game

User Info: hanaluluelle

hanaluluelle
1 month ago#1
I'm into games like Devil May Cry 4 and Bayonetta. In my opinion, they have the most aesthetically pleasing combat mechanics of all time. I consider myself a decent DMC4 player as I can utilize all of Dante's style and weapons in my gameplay.

Let me share to you one of my favorite DMC4 gameplay videos of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHrAY6kntIs

The player is Brea who was way ahead of her time.

Can you guys share games that kinda get stylish like this? I'm looking for games with bigger lore. I'm guessing games with a faster paced Dark Souls combat like Nioh or Witcher 3. I know those are of a different genre but it can be from any. I'm looking into Star Ocean, Tales of whatever, Nier Automata, Transformers, and Castelvania though I don't know if I'll like them.

User Info: wantfastcars

wantfastcars
1 month ago#2
NieR Automata is one of the best games released in recent years. It's got excellent combat and a pretty good story to go with it, and if you like Bayonetta you'll feel right at home playing it. It also has some more RPG elements, with leveling up and stuff like that.

Metal Gear Rising is also made by Platinum Games and is worth playing. The combat isn't quite as deep as Bayo/DMC, but it's flashy as f*** and the absolute bats*** insanity of the story has to be seen to be believed. It isn't tied too closely to the main Metal Gear games, so don't worry about missing any context.

Transformers is really fun, but a lot of the fun comes from how close to the original 1984-1986 cartoon/movie it feels. If you're not a big fan of G1 Transformers, it's probably worth waiting for a steep discount or skipping altogether.

Vanquish is my personal favorite game from Platinum. It's not the same visceral melee combat P* is known for from Bayo/DMC/MGR/etc., but the game is still oodles of fun. It's an absolutely joyful third person shooter with spectacular gunplay and a really cool main gimmick with the "adrenaline mode" that the game centers around.

I can't make personal comments on the other games you mentioned, but I've heard good things about Tales of Berseria.

It's not super flashy but you might want to take a look at Dragon's Dogma, too. The combat in that game is rock solid and while it isn't a spectacle brawler, it's very fun in it's own right.
Now Playing: Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
Now, let's count up your sins!

User Info: Jonbazookaboz

Jonbazookaboz
1 month ago#3
hanaluluelle posted...
I'm into games like Devil May Cry 4 and Bayonetta. In my opinion, they have the most aesthetically pleasing combat mechanics of all time. I consider myself a decent DMC4 player as I can utilize all of Dante's style and weapons in my gameplay.

Let me share to you one of my favorite DMC4 gameplay videos of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHrAY6kntIs

The player is Brea who was way ahead of her time.

Can you guys share games that kinda get stylish like this? I'm looking for games with bigger lore. I'm guessing games with a faster paced Dark Souls combat like Nioh or Witcher 3. I know those are of a different genre but it can be from any. I'm looking into Star Ocean, Tales of whatever, Nier Automata, Transformers, and Castelvania though I don't know if I'll like them.

-Bayonetta 2 (the best if all time imo)
-Transformers (i quite enjoyed it.)
-Wonderful 101 (most under rated game in the world)
-Odin sphere leifthrasir (hack n slash combo rpg)
-Nier (ok)
-tales games are great (nice combo building action rpg)
-ninja gaiden 1-3 (the original and best)
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"

User Info: zKanoe

zKanoe
1 month ago#4
On PC (excluding emulation options):

You already have established that you have DMC 4 and Bayonetta TC. If you haven't already TC DMC3 with the style switching mod is great.

Also I definitely recommend checking out the titles mentioned in the topic already.

Transformers is great if you like Platinum/Clover's stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM7SYGNyRHY

Vanquish as well even if it is a 3rd person shooter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJbxPIOmycw

I'd post stuff for Tales of and Nier, but a lot of stuff out there has spoilers. Donguri has some good stuff for a few Tales of titles and Nier, though other channels are better if you want to see more from the different Tales of games. If DMC4 is your thing, then Tales of Xillia 2 may be up your alley if you have a PS3. As it is now, Tales of Berseria, Symphonia, and Zestiria are the only ones with a PC release.

Outside of what has already been mentioned, I personally would recommend Furi, Ys Origins, and Ys VIII on Nightmare/Inferno difficulty (whenever the PC version releases). While they're not combo oriented, you mentioned fast paced Dark Souls combat which translates to me as fast hack n slash where using the environment and reading/adapting to enemy patterns under pressure is key to victory.
Awaiting: Xenoblade 2, Indivisible (PC/Switch). Ni no Kuni 2 (PC), .hack//G.U. Last Recode (PC), Kirby Star Allies. SMT V

User Info: SnakePlisken94

SnakePlisken94
1 month ago#5
nier's combat is nothing like dmc or bayonetta
it's a casual one button crapfest and it's very poorly balanced
just your typical butthurt basement dweller

User Info: hanaluluelle

hanaluluelle
1 month ago#6
Maybe you are just used to spamming op moves which all action games have. You can also treat dmc as a one button crapfest if you don't get creative impulses.

And it doesn't need to be exactly dmc nor bayonetta. For example, I find the evasive options in Nioh to be cool and stylish. Maybe you'd find me weird but they remind me of Vergil's rapid sidestepping in dmc4se. I prefer them than Dark Souls's clunky infinite rolls.

zKanoe posted...
....If DMC4 is your thing, then Tales of Xillia 2 may be up your alley if you have a PS3. As it is now, Tales of Berseria, Symphonia, and Zestiria are the only ones with a PC release.

In your opinion, is its combat better/funner than berseria?

Thanks for all the games guys. I'm eyeing all of them. They all look promising!

Keep on posting suggestions. I truly appreciate them.

User Info: _GRIM_FANDANGO_

_GRIM_FANDANGO_
1 month ago#7
Not sure if it is what you are looking for, but if you want aesthetically pleasing combat you should look into Vanquish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn5_ORAVA9c
I5 3570 | GTX 970 | Samsung 840 EVO x 3 | Corsair RM750 | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair 400c | AKG k550 | Realforce 87U | Logitech G Pro |

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
1 month ago#8
wantfastcars posted...
NieR Automata is one of the best games released in recent years. It's got excellent combat and a pretty good story to go with it, and if you like Bayonetta you'll feel right at home playing it. It also has some more RPG elements, with leveling up and stuff like that.

Metal Gear Rising is also made by Platinum Games and is worth playing. The combat isn't quite as deep as Bayo/DMC, but it's flashy as f*** and the absolute bats*** insanity of the story has to be seen to be believed. It isn't tied too closely to the main Metal Gear games, so don't worry about missing any context.

Transformers is really fun, but a lot of the fun comes from how close to the original 1984-1986 cartoon/movie it feels. If you're not a big fan of G1 Transformers, it's probably worth waiting for a steep discount or skipping altogether.

Vanquish is my personal favorite game from Platinum. It's not the same visceral melee combat P* is known for from Bayo/DMC/MGR/etc., but the game is still oodles of fun. It's an absolutely joyful third person shooter with spectacular gunplay and a really cool main gimmick with the "adrenaline mode" that the game centers around.

I can't make personal comments on the other games you mentioned, but I've heard good things about Tales of Berseria.

It's not super flashy but you might want to take a look at Dragon's Dogma, too. The combat in that game is rock solid and while it isn't a spectacle brawler, it's very fun in it's own right.

If you think Nier has a good story then I do not know what you think is a bad story....
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: Coffee_Nurse

Coffee_Nurse
1 month ago#9
Check out Absolver. The combat in that game is an art form.
Behold, thou art fair, my love; behold, thou art fair; thou hast doves' eyes.
http://isdmxinjail.com/ http://hemansings.com/

User Info: CommunismFTW

CommunismFTW
4 weeks ago#10
Coffee_Nurse posted...
Check out Absolver. The combat in that game is an art form.

Of iframe-power punches and stunlock loops?

The game balance is terrible in the meta, and the community is dead.
Since only from below can one better see the heights.
http://i.imgur.com/OhZgm.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Stylish and Complex Combat in a Game

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived