This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Stylish and Complex Combat in a Game

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Stylish and Complex Combat in a Game

User Info: zKanoe

zKanoe
4 weeks ago#11
hanaluluelle posted...

In your opinion, is its combat better/funner than berseria?

Thanks for all the games guys. I'm eyeing all of them. They all look promising!

Keep on posting suggestions. I truly appreciate them.

@hanaluluelle

Tales of Berseria is my favorite Tales of game so I may be a little biased for it, but Xillia 2 floats at the peak of the series (along with Tales of Hearts R, Innocence R, Tales of Destiny 2 PS2, Destiny Remake and Graces f for me combat wise) to me. I personally had more fun with Berseria, but I feel like Xillia 2 would be more fun/better for you.

Tales of Xillia 2's main character is essentially like Dante because of his weapon switching on the fly mechanic and the huge move pool that comes along with it (48 moves available at once with all weapons combined) and more moves and ability that comes exclusively with Corpse Shell (pretty much Devil Trigger).

The game's mechanics revolve around hitting weaknesses to push move proration and using the link system where you pair up with your other deployed party members to capitalize on their unique tag abilities and stat increases (though it comes with the drawback of sharing status effects with your partner if you get hit by something); you also can use special team attacks as well once you enter the overlimit state. Each character also plays very different with them all having their own unique mechanics like charging moves to hit harder and change it to something else completely, having teleports, counter systems, levitation/changing magic attacks into physical, etc. Since it is an ARPG, you have meter management to deal with in the game as well (less of a concern by the end of the game). AC is essentially a stamina bar, and TP (like MP in regular RPGs) is also used up for special attacks.

Also, unlike Berseria, Xillia 2 has aerial combat/manual jumping whereas Berseria is more grounded like Onimusha/Souls/Nioh. Xillia 2 has a universal launcher for all characters as well as back steps, forward steps, and side steps for evasion/misc effects; both games do have OTG combos btw. Overall, there is a lot of fun to be had with the bad system, and you can do set play with some characters moves, and many other flashy things later on with some practice. The gameplay is really fun and my only gripes with the combat system was that you had a lot of party member restrictions that are only alleviated a bit on the second playthrough/post game, as well as there being a lot of party member restrictions in general of various segments of the game; Xillia 2 also ditched the inactive party member switch out mechanic present in the first game (games after it like Zestiria and Berseria brought this back).

For Berseria, it is a more grounded game as mentioned already. Unlike Xillia 2 which is built closer to a traditional Tales of title, it doesn't have basic attacks like the majority of the other Tales of games do. The attacks in the game have categories like Martial Artes or Hidden Arte that allow them to chain better with others depending on the category as well as the weakness system. In addition to that, if you hold down an attack, it can turn into a different move as you progress through the game.
http://i.imgur.com/z1jFYDJ.jpg

Moving on, you have tag options in this game. You can tag in inactive members and have them guard, perform an assist attack, or their unique mechanic. You can switch between characters on the fly mid combo (this is in Xillia 2 btw). There are unique mechanics for all characters here too as well as numerous juggles, side steps, back steps, and forward steps that grant you more "meter" essentially through kills, guard breaks, hitting weaknesses/inducing status effects, and perfect dodges. The meter system is bit different here because you're fighting for meter with the enemy from a pool. There is more to say but my character limit is up.
Awaiting: Xenoblade 2, Indivisible (PC/Switch). Ni no Kuni 2 (PC), .hack//G.U. Last Recode (PC), Kirby Star Allies. SMT V

User Info: Lightborne

Lightborne
4 weeks ago#12
hanaluluelle posted...
I'm into games like Devil May Cry 4 and Bayonetta. In my opinion, they have the most aesthetically pleasing combat mechanics of all time. I consider myself a decent DMC4 player as I can utilize all of Dante's style and weapons in my gameplay.

Let me share to you one of my favorite DMC4 gameplay videos of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHrAY6kntIs

The player is Brea who was way ahead of her time.

Can you guys share games that kinda get stylish like this? I'm looking for games with bigger lore. I'm guessing games with a faster paced Dark Souls combat like Nioh or Witcher 3. I know those are of a different genre but it can be from any. I'm looking into Star Ocean, Tales of whatever, Nier Automata, Transformers, and Castelvania though I don't know if I'll like them.

Have you ever heard of blades of time? It is underrated, there is a pc and you can usually find it cheap but I found the game unique in many ways. It is not nier automata quality but its still allot of fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMzJSK3lR8U
The most wasted of all days is a day without laughter.

User Info: UnderwaterAir

UnderwaterAir
4 weeks ago#13
RIP, Vindictus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKnXrxpskFE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl8aSzStbmQ

User Info: hanaluluelle

hanaluluelle
4 weeks ago#14
@UnderwaterAir
I'm from a country where ping is infinite XD.

@Lightborne
I've played that before. Finished it in one night. It was fun but very limiting.

@zKanoe
You're right. Those jump attacks and transformations do give me some dmc vibe. Too bad I don't have a console at the moment. I just bought Berseria. I hope I enjoy it at least.

User Info: wentzelot

wentzelot
4 weeks ago#15
definitely nier

User Info: UnderwaterAir

UnderwaterAir
4 weeks ago#16
hanaluluelle posted...
@UnderwaterAir
I'm from a country where ping is infinite XD.

Vindictus is peer to peer in battles and raids.
Ping to the host is what you would worry about.
When you host the battle your ping is effectively 0.

User Info: hanaluluelle

hanaluluelle
3 weeks ago#17
@UnderwaterAir
yeah but i feel like i'm limiting everybody else when i'm host. i'll definitely consider when i get better internet.

@zKanoe
the community here edges graces f to be a bit better than xillia 2 combat wise. can i get your opinion on why this is so and why you think i would prefer xillia 2 over it?

User Info: zKanoe

zKanoe
3 weeks ago#18
hanaluluelle posted...

the community here edges graces f to be a bit better than xillia 2 combat wise. can i get your opinion on why this is so and why you think i would prefer xillia 2 over it?

@hanaluluelle

I'm not sure personally, but Graces f was my favorite Tales of before Berseria (with Berseria edging it out because of story/presentation). Graces f's combat is top notch to me and Berseria and Zestiria are pretty much deviations of Graces f (used Graces' battle system as a base for themselves) that jacked up the execution in some aspects (Zestiria significantly so, Berseria is more of a preference I think).

I can't recall if I remember or not, but gameplay wise, Xillia 2's weakness system in conjunction with the length of time can it takes to use power charge 3 (a skill that lets anything hit a weakness for the first hit) takes 4 seconds while the max charge in Graces f is roughly less than half of that; some folks may not like the pacing as much. Also, Xillia 2 has TP which is like MP in other RPGs or akin to special meter in most 2D fighters.

Graces f has CC only as a meter/gauge which acts like a stamina bar found in other action games and ultimately allows it to be one of the most fast paced battle systems. It recharges back to full or higher increments with perfect side/back/forward steps (these act like parries/just defense), using guard charges, hitting weaknesses/getting criticals, and just standing there (the slowest option of course). The game is much more back and forth with the options enemies have since they have lot of the tools you have to defend themselves with for the most. Note: stepping in Xillia 2 doesn't provide the benefits it does in Graces f. Another thing Graces f has going for it is that the gameplay opens up pretty quickly.

Graces f allows you much more party freedom in the fact that it doesn't have a lot of forced parties/restrictions that Xillia 2 has the majority of the game and it has cosplay dolls that allow you to use multiples of the same characters with other characters' stats (to help with shortcomings). It also doesn't have linking mechanics where you're tethered to your ally for additional options. A lot of folks enjoyed not having to be linked with other characters in other Tales of games to explore/utilize the depth of that character (not to say solo isn't viable, but the difference is highly noticeable since the Xillias are built on team play).

Bottom line:

I could write a book on the mechanics of these entries as some of the Tales of titles are significantly different from one another gameplay wise. Xillia 2 plays much differently from Graces f, Graces f plays much differently than Tales of Destiny 2, Tales of Destiny 2 plays much differently from Vesperia, much differently than Rebirth.

I'd still recommend Xillia 2 for your tastes honestly. The flow of combat and the options in that game just seems like it may be more your style.
Something goes here...someday I'll remember what it was.

User Info: cuteboi100

cuteboi100
3 weeks ago#19
Try Darksiders.
Attack Jet - Division 1 (World) | Fighter Jet - Division 1 (World)
Fighter Jet - Division 1 (Toronto), Rank #5
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Stylish and Complex Combat in a Game

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived