This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it necessary to update to the newest Drivers every time they're available?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it necessary to update to the newest Drivers every time they're available?

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
4 weeks ago#11
I only update drivers when I have a problem or if I'm playing a newish game and the driver notes promise a big improvement for that game in particular.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 weeks ago#12
No and actually can screw you over. So if you are currently playing a game you really enjoy and not intending on playing any other games for awhile, don't upgrade. Forza Horizon 3 worked well with one driver but then keeps crashing after I updated.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
4 weeks ago#13
no wonder new drivers always suck, nobody f***ing downloads them and tests them because they're too scared lol.
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.

User Info: Maximoom

Maximoom
4 weeks ago#14
nominturddaddy posted...
I only update when a game is giving me significant performance issues or when I buy a major release that *just* came out, as there are often driver updates to coincide.
Gigabyte H81M-H | i5 4460 3.2Ghz | Zotac GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3-1333 | 1TB HDD | C3Tech 500W Bronze

User Info: Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon
4 weeks ago#15
Like most in this thread, I only update a drive if there's a good reason to. Let others be the unpaid beta testers, I prefer to save myself as much trouble as possible.
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
4 weeks ago#16
I used to keep my GPU driver up to date, but then Nvidia started making us login to use their stupid GeForce Experience, so I uninstalled it and haven't updated my driver in a year and a half.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
4 weeks ago#17
SinisterSlay posted...
Only trouble is Windows likes to update drivers too, and that's almost guaranteed to be the broken one. By staying ahead, you can roll back if it goes wrong

I'm on 10 and I tend to be 1-3 driver releases behind and Windows Update has yet to update me to the latest GeForce drivers. Might want to check your driver settings.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
4 weeks ago#18
kobalobasileus posted...
GeForce Experience

If you choose custom install, you can uncheck GFE and only install the actual drivers.
As far as the install failing, try doing a clean install. That used to be the only way I could update my GPU driver.
You can also try running DDU (display driver uninstaller) and letting it completely wipe your GPU drivers and reinstall from scratch.
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 weeks ago#19
JKatarn posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Only trouble is Windows likes to update drivers too, and that's almost guaranteed to be the broken one. By staying ahead, you can roll back if it goes wrong

I'm on 10 and I tend to be 1-3 driver releases behind and Windows Update has yet to update me to the latest GeForce drivers. Might want to check your driver settings.

I usually see windows about 6 months behind.
I'm still on anniversary update, so no worries for me :D.
381.65 for my 970. Runs great.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: SaiDucc

SaiDucc
4 weeks ago#20
Most driver updates are for specific game optimization so it's pointless to update unless you have a newly released game that's been optimized by a driver update.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it necessary to update to the newest Drivers every time they're available?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived