This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it necessary to update to the newest Drivers every time they're available?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it necessary to update to the newest Drivers every time they're available?

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
2 months ago#21
Update and let my nvidia GPU be gimped when I only play older games? Absolutely not. The only game I play that is even remotely recent is Witcher 3 and it runs fine, no reason to update drivers.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: SnakePlisken94

SnakePlisken94
2 months ago#22
if it ain't broke.......
just your typical butthurt basement dweller

User Info: _GRIM_FANDANGO_

_GRIM_FANDANGO_
2 months ago#23
I only do it when I start playing a game for which my current driver is not optimized. So based on need really. Other than that there is little reason up update your drivers if everything is running fine.
I5 3570 | GTX 970 | Samsung 840 EVO x 3 | Corsair RM750 | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair 400c | AKG k550 | Realforce 87U | Logitech G Pro |

User Info: -5xad0w-

-5xad0w-
2 months ago#24
Rarely.

And then it would only be if they fixed a specific issue that affected you.
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
2 months ago#25
holy f***ing s*** guys seriously at least try to contribute to data that can be used for better support.
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
2 months ago#26
Some drivers specifically mention security improvements.

I've only had true driver issues on laptops. Otherwise, updating drivers hasn't been problematic since moving from XP.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
2 months ago#27
Killah Priest posted...
holy f***ing s*** guys seriously at least try to contribute to data that can be used for better support.

I'd contribute if it didn't feel like there was a 50-50 chance of something going wrong when I installed them through no fault of my own. If it's not broke I'm not going to try and fix it.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: PhazonReborn

PhazonReborn
2 months ago#28
I must be one of those rare people that experience bad driver issues no matter the card or brand.

My AMD R9 390 had such bad issues with Drivers, I was constantly rolling back and downloading third party programs to stabilize my framerate. Some drivers worked better for some games. I couldn't play the Wither 3 for instance smoothly with the same Driver that seemed to be great for Battlfield 1. I got stuck into basically having to play one type of game at the same time. It actually gave me a complex about drivers.

My current Nvidia card has had some issues with Drivers. I had some crashing on an earlier driver version while trying to get Total War: Warhammer to run decently. I still can't figure that game out. I cannot maintain a decent framerate in that game, it chugs and plays like s*** on my system with a 1060, i5 4690K and 8GB Ram. The optimization of games in general seems to be lacking these days. I avoid most new releases simply because I don't want to have a headache trying to get it to run. Gone are the days of "setting and forgetting" for me. Each new game is a struggle with optimization and framerate.

I want to play DOOM but I'm concerned I will just be stuck with s***ty framerate and performance and it's going to turn me away from a great experience.
The Phazon you know and trust since 2004

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
2 months ago#29
Killah Priest posted...
no wonder new drivers always suck, nobody f***ing downloads them and tests them because they're too scared lol.

I've got better things to do than use each new iteration of AMD drivers hoping that this one finally stops blue-screening EVE Online or gives back my performance boost for Skyrim.

Not recent concerns, but I've been through two separate 6+ month periods where one or the other was applicable.

Had one patch where I had to use third-party-modified "Omega" drivers for my AMD card because AMD's official stuff BSOD'd my PC when I played EVE Online and the game tried displaying a Nightmare class battleship; got a display/GPU error when the game tried launching with me flying one and a HDD error if I tried swapping into one after logging into the game.

Had another patch where AMD's "Rage Optimized" drivers did absolutely nothing of benefit for Rage, at least not on my PC, but yielded a substantial 13% FPS boost in Skyrim, but driver releases for the next six months failed to incorporate whatever changes in the "Rage Optimized" release allowed for that performance boost.

Killah Priest posted...

Can is the operative term. Considering that I tend to play Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Zombasite, Drox Operative, Van Helsing, Torchlight 1 & 2, Skyrim, the Borderlands games, and other titles that are generally 3-5+ years old or are based on even older engines or are of low priority in driver development terms I see zero benefit to nVidia, AMD, or whatever to me playing guinea pig with their most recent driver releases.

Besides that, when a crash happens due to drivers I generally want to get back to the game AFAP, often with the hopes of preventing character death because half the time or more the game is on-line-only, rather than putz around with crash reporting and all the hoops you have to go through to "properly" do it.

PhazonReborn posted...
system with a 1060, i5 4690K and 8GB Ram.

I want to play DOOM but I'm concerned I will just be stuck with s***ty framerate and performance and it's going to turn me away from a great experience.

FWIW, I'm using an i5-4690k and a 6GB model 1060 along with 16GB system RAM, and Doom, or at least the demo for it, was quite playable for me, even with the options cranked up to or near max.

The full game should do better since AFAIK the demo only got updates to patch in Vulkan support and hasn't incorporated any fixes such as being able to rebind all commands properly so that you aren't faced with a f***ton of "Press to interact" messages because you unbound an invisible command and can't fix the problem yourself, at least not without the console or external file manipulation.

Can't say anything about Warhammer one way or the other though. Only Warhammer games I've ever played are Vermintide, briefly, and Space Hulk, the original Space Hulk.
___
Edit: As for the topic question. Nope! I might download driver releases when they become available, at this point I have a small library of said releases, but I tend to only install the most recent releases once every 6+ months because I just can't be assed to reboot my PC more than is absolutely necessary.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
2 months ago#30
kobalobasileus posted...
I used to keep my GPU driver up to date, but then Nvidia started making us login to use their stupid GeForce Experience, so I uninstalled it and haven't updated my driver in a year and a half.

I'm not alone!

It's such a ridiculously transparent way to data mine customers it's pathetic. It's downright sleazy they don't even allow driver updates without a login unless you do so manually.

The worst is while I do update every few months this time when I did it the most recent driver broke a game for me (Ark, which I play with a family member).

I'm torn if I do buy stuff soon though since I keep hearing the GTX 1080 is a very good card. I once said I'd never pay more than ~$300 for a card though...
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it necessary to update to the newest Drivers every time they're available?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived