This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there no way to prevent desktop screen tearing without Aero in Win 7?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is there no way to prevent desktop screen tearing without Aero in Win 7?

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
4 weeks ago#11
zhenghan posted...
Kind of seems like those people who dislike Aero would be better off upgrading to Windows 10.

Not me. I've got a host of issues with Windows 10 ranging from it self-sabotaging and fighting me tooth and nail over driver updates to refusing to let Dragon Age Origins run at all or Blades of Time run with sound. The adware/popup updates don't exactly sit well with me either, and I don't even want to see what the (lack of) support for my wireless USB adapter is like right now.

For reference, Windows 10's support for my wireless adapter was so bad that just having the adapter plugged in while installing Windows 10 caused its installer to crash. :-/ Even after yanking it, installing 10, and then putting it back in and installing correct drivers it didn't function properly, having 2kms lag spikes every 2-5 seconds, so... Yeah.

I like the idea of DirectX 12, and I frankly think that it'll end up being more populous and thus more popular than Vulkan. For that matter I don't much care for the idea of switching to another OS when Windows 7 is no longer able to fill my needs. Hell, the Windows 10 UI wasn't too bad when the Metro/Modern component actually functioned.

Unfortunately Windows 10 just isn't for me, or at least it wasn't last year with nothing said since indicating that it's any better now.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
4 weeks ago#12
Marikhen posted...
Hell, the Windows 10 UI wasn't too bad when the Metro/Modern component actually functioned.

You mean it doesn't function anymore? Isn't Metro just the windows 8 UI lol? Well, I guess even that is better than what it's got currently.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

Marikhen
4 weeks ago#13
zhenghan posted...
Marikhen posted...
Hell, the Windows 10 UI wasn't too bad when the Metro/Modern component actually functioned.

You mean it doesn't function anymore? Isn't Metro just the windows 8 UI lol? Well, I guess even that is better than what it's got currently.

I dunno what Microsoft is that block/edgy modern new age stuff, honestly. All I know is that moving the Users folder off of the OS partition on my desktop caused Windows 10 to self-lobotomize by shutting down all those components.

The old interface stuff from Windows 7 and back that were still in use under Windows 10 worked, but the OS basically had a major stroke for no apparent reason because I'd done the same thing with my laptop over half a year earlier and at that point Windows 10 was still functioning correctly on my laptop.

The icing on the cake was when from that point onward Windows 10's installer refused to finish installing the OS every time I tried moving the Users folder again.

Windows 10 seriously did not like my desktop. :-/
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 weeks ago#14
To me, the worst thing about Aero is when you're playing a demanding game and then after 5 minutes windows breaks in to tell you "excuse me but you're playing a very demanding game and we wondered if you'd like to turn Aero off for more performance" (not in those words of course, too polite). It usually happened at a crucial point too where I'd have to scramble to click that box so I could get back to the game.

If it happened enough, I'd just right click on the EXE and select "disable desktop composition" and it would drop to "classic" any time the game started.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
4 weeks ago#15
arleas posted...
To me, the worst thing about Aero is when you're playing a demanding game and then after 5 minutes windows breaks in to tell you "excuse me but you're playing a very demanding game and we wondered if you'd like to turn Aero off for more performance" (not in those words of course, too polite). It usually happened at a crucial point too where I'd have to scramble to click that box so I could get back to the game.

If it happened enough, I'd just right click on the EXE and select "disable desktop composition" and it would drop to "classic" any time the game started.

Does that really happen for you guys on a regular basis? I can't even remember the last time I saw that lol.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

Marikhen
4 weeks ago#16
zhenghan posted...
Does that really happen for you guys on a regular basis? I can't even remember the last time I saw that lol.

Depending on the game, yeah. I'd get it once per session with Path of Exile, once ever other session or so with Grim Dawn, but I never got it with Fallout 4. Hell, I've gone with the "don't nag me about this" option for those notifications, and I still had them pop up. -_-

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 weeks ago#17
zhenghan posted...
Does that really happen for you guys on a regular basis?

With certain games, yes... and this was with an i7 and a GTX 780 (and later a GTX 1080) so it's not like it was REALLY taxing the computer... just that windows would stop me to tell me that Aero was impacting the performance. Sometimes it only happened once or twice and was just a minor annoyance and sometimes it happened a lot and I had to turn aero off.

One of the games I remember it happening to me on was Bioshock Infinite. If I kept the settings turned down it wouldn't pop up at all, but if I turned settings up then it happened.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is there no way to prevent desktop screen tearing without Aero in Win 7?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived