This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

games that will be looked back on in 20 years as our age's mario 3s

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. games that will be looked back on in 20 years as our age's mario 3s

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
4 weeks ago#41
Minecraft
World of Warcraft
League of Legends
Skyrim

These are already in the mainstream, if only as "Oh yeah, my ex/ <insert family member> used to play that loads".

If you mean as popular 'classics' then it"ll be popular phone games.
Ryzen 1600X @4GHz | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-Sync 1ms
i7 3930K @4.8GHz | 16GB 2133MHz DDR3 | GTX 1080 8GB

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
3 weeks ago#42
Playing with a controller? That's for babies. Sorry all I can think of.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: psyduck151

psyduck151
3 weeks ago#43
wentzelot posted...
dark souls, undertale, what else

These games only became popular becuz youtubers who aren't good at games played them. Once these people move on, so will their fans. Dark Souls is a meme right now and not many people even talk about Undertale anymore. In 20 years these games aren't going to be talked about at all.

The reason people look back at NES games is because how important the NES is to the modern gaming scene... In twenty years anyone whose interested in their hobby is still going to look up where it started. Most people won't care about footnotes along the way.

Mario 3 will be the game that is looked back on as Mario 3.
We Do Not Sow

User Info: LazyyAmerican

LazyyAmerican
3 weeks ago#44
Superman 64
You've got ten minutes. There's policies even your section have to follow
I'll be sure to forward your message to the president.

User Info: Yewolife

Yewolife
3 weeks ago#45
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Dark Souls will be remembered more like Final Fantasy VII; More and more people will realize it was never actually much good and just kind of there when they wanted it to be, and some diehards will insist that the newer generation "just doesn't understand" and "you had to play it then" rather than admitting it's a mediocre game.

It sure is becoming a trend to dislike Dark Souls haha.

Finished the game for the first time earlier this year, and loved the game the whole way through. What amazed me was I was thinking I was clever making shortcuts or getting to places by exploiting the terrain/mechanics and turns out the devs designed the game as if they knew I would do it. Game was really great and worthy of all the praise it gets haha.

Also played Demon Souls as well and that game is also very good, but of course not as great as DS1. Far better then DS2 though in my book. DS2 was a stinker for me. DS1 nuances and design in the level and how it crafts the world you explore is top tier.

That said though, nothing can really top something like Mario3/World/Etc, but I think Dark Souls fits in a high enough tier and cultural significance and gameplay thats ages well enough that it fits in the category TC is looking for.

User Info: revolver

revolver
3 weeks ago#46
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Dark Souls will be remembered more like Final Fantasy VII; More and more people will realize it was never actually much good and just kind of there when they wanted it to be, and some diehards will insist that the newer generation "just doesn't understand" and "you had to play it then" rather than admitting it's a mediocre game.

Eh sorry, Dark Souls is pretty much universally acclaimed and it's game design is respected across the industry. It truly is a top tier game. Few games do almost everything so well from gameplay to art design and atmosphere.

User Info: revolver

revolver
3 weeks ago#47
Yewolife posted...
That said though, nothing can really top something like Mario3/World/Etc, but I think Dark Souls fits in a high enough tier and cultural significance and gameplay thats ages well enough that it fits in the category TC is looking for.

You had me until this, a lot of casual gamers I know haven't even heard of Dark Souls or maybe just vaguely. It's not like mario where almost everyone for multiple generations have fond childhood memories of.

User Info: Yewolife

Yewolife
3 weeks ago#48
revolver posted...
Yewolife posted...

You had me until this, a lot of casual gamers I know haven't even heard of Dark Souls or maybe just vaguely. It's not like mario where almost everyone for multiple generations have fond childhood memories of.

I think you read me wrongly haha. I didn't say it compared to Mario in the same way or as high as it. I just said that I felt Dark Souls is at a state that is good enough to warrant it being commended as culturally significant in the way TC was looking for. Mario by far stands out above all of course. Just think Dark souls is a darn hi-toootin game to, though not as high.

Honestly I'm sorta just repeating what you said in response to DarkZV2Beta but in different words. Haha do think you said it more eloquently though.

User Info: BaldursGate

BaldursGate
3 weeks ago#49
Undertale remembered the same way as SMB 3? It's only available across two platforms and doesn't have the same mainstream reach Mario has.

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
3 weeks ago#50
After some thought, I still have no idea. Maybe a pokemon game?

Just being a good or popular game isn't enough imo. It has to be highly replayable (or incredibly unique I suppose) and be a part of a series to be remembered that long. Dark souls has a shot. Undertale doesn't.

20 years is a really long time.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. games that will be looked back on in 20 years as our age's mario 3s

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived