This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

games that will be looked back on in 20 years as our age's mario 3s

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. games that will be looked back on in 20 years as our age's mario 3s

User Info: Pox

Pox
4 weeks ago#51
Skyrim (like people still talk about morrowind)
Assassin's Creed 2 (back when AC was good)
gofccyourself.com - Save Net Neutrality
(message deleted)

User Info: 2DJunky

2DJunky
4 weeks ago#53
Apart for a few.....games these days is so unappealing with bland style that I doubt any of them will be remembered as a true classics.
Dell Inspiron 15 5566 (15.6") / i3-7100U / 6GB RAM / 120GB SSD

User Info: wentzelot

wentzelot
4 weeks ago#54
Bleu_Skie posted...
After some thought, I still have no idea. Maybe a pokemon game?

Just being a good or popular game isn't enough imo. It has to be highly replayable (or incredibly unique I suppose) and be a part of a series to be remembered that long. Dark souls has a shot. Undertale doesn't.

20 years is a really long time.

Undertale is extremely replayable

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
4 weeks ago#55
Different routes arent very replayable. Once you've done them, you probably arent playing it again. Not like mario or dark souls imo.

Even so, it's not part of a series. Lasting appeal is tough without that.

Edit: especially for as long as 20 years.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.
The last game I can really think of that will be remembered fondly for being really good in innovative in 20 years is Halo: CE (didn't realize it celebrated it's 16th anniversary 3 days ago). I agree with people saying Skyrim, but that's mostly due to the insane amount it's been ported. It's basically impossible to forget about. A bit of a stretch but maybe The Last of Us. I know especially online people have very mixed opinions, but it is very highly rated, sold great, and spawned a lot of conversations about the state of modern video games. My only concern is that it might end up like Shadow of the Colossus, which after a recent playthrough I can vouch did not age well.
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher

User Info: Rand_Aybara

Rand_Aybara
4 weeks ago#57
revolver posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Dark Souls will be remembered more like Final Fantasy VII; More and more people will realize it was never actually much good and just kind of there when they wanted it to be, and some diehards will insist that the newer generation "just doesn't understand" and "you had to play it then" rather than admitting it's a mediocre game.

Eh sorry, Dark Souls is pretty much universally acclaimed and it's game design is respected across the industry. It truly is a top tier game. Few games do almost everything so well from gameplay to art design and atmosphere.

From a technical perspective it's one of the worst AAA games to come out in the last decade.

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
4 weeks ago#58
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Dark Souls will be remembered more like Final Fantasy VII; More and more people will realize it was never actually much good and just kind of there when they wanted it to be, and some diehards will insist that the newer generation "just doesn't understand" and "you had to play it then" rather than admitting it's a mediocre game.

This is the first well-thought-out discussion of s*** Souls in this entire thread. IF it is remembered at all in 20 years, it will be remembered as that one niche Hard Game that a few people couldn't shut up about.

As for current-gen games that will be looked back upon with the same fondness as Super Mario 3... It's gotta be Skyrim or Witcher 3. Action/Sandbox is currently as over-populated as Action/2D Platformers were in the 3rd Gen. Everyone seems to love these two games, and they're competent at what they do, just not completely mind-blowing.

The-19th-Sparta posted...
People look back to the 80s and think of Super Mario Brothers. Others look to the 90s and think of Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy 7. The current adults look back to the 00s and remember Halo 2.

The current generation of young gamers will look back to this decade and remember DLC, microtransactions and loot crates.

Failing Skyrim or Witcher 3, this is the best bet. Or maybe Angry Birds.

User Info: MabMyCatHasAHat

MabMyCatHasAHat
3 weeks ago#59
My bet would be Mass Effect: Andromeda
My favorite word is "concur". I'm sure you are glad to know that.

User Info: Charged151

Charged151
3 weeks ago#60
A few guesses...
Bloodborne
Nier Automata
Mario Odyssey
Persona 5
Skyrim
Witcher 3
I'm...the...official...master...of...ellipses...
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. games that will be looked back on in 20 years as our age's mario 3s

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived