This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"B-b-b-b-b-but it's only cosmetics"

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. "B-b-b-b-b-but it's only cosmetics"

User Info: daemon_dan

daemon_dan
4 weeks ago#21
For those living under a rock:
Lootboxes in both Shadow of War, Battlefront 2, and CoD: WW2 give you actual P2W elements, and what's worse about CoD is that to open a loot box, you're thrown into a lobby where people WATCH you open it. In Battlefront 2, to get upgrade cards, you need to get loot boxes. You can earn them with in-game money, but the way it's set up is set to make it grindy as hell to get it in-game. So you can just buy them outright. Also, Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker originally cost like 80 dollars each of corresponding in-game money, or you can grind for them. 40 hours each. While not getting lootboxes with that in-game currency to upgrade what you DO have.
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."
~DevilDriver: I Could Care Less

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 weeks ago#22
Where's the "Didn't give a f*** then, don't give a f*** now and will continue to make purchasing decisions based on the merits of the product" option?
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 weeks ago#23
That's the problem with people being able to make their own poll. You can be as biased as f*** and make the only logical move is not to vote.

I guess that it's bad polls that get the most comments though because if your view is perfectly stated by one of the options, why leave a post saying so?

TF2 did "loot boxes" right. For one thing, it was all cosmetics, even the weapons were mostly cosmetic (Christmas Lights on one set, another kept count of your kills...I'm unaware if they did anything more involved than that). For another thing, if you didn't want the box you could sell it on the market...and someone with a gambling problem could buy them all up and spend $300 (or whatever) opening 120 crates (or whatever) in hopes of getting an unusual hat (or whatever).

Of course, nothing stopped terrible companies from being terrible, and it doesn't matter what the current form of popular gaming is, the terrible companies will find a way to do it terribly. I mean,when your main focus is just "make more money" then you'll find yourself doing all sorts of things that other companies might avoid doing

So if this is about EA being a terrible company, so what else is new?
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 weeks ago#24
daemon_dan posted...
Lootboxes in both Shadow of War, Battlefront 2, and CoD: WW2 give you actual P2W elements, and what's worse about CoD is that to open a loot box, you're thrown into a lobby where people WATCH you open it. In Battlefront 2, to get upgrade cards, you need to get loot boxes. You can earn them with in-game money, but the way it's set up is set to make it grindy as hell to get it in-game. So you can just buy them outright. Also, Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker originally cost like 80 dollars each of corresponding in-game money, or you can grind for them. 40 hours each. While not getting lootboxes with that in-game currency to upgrade what you DO have.

Well, that sort of s*** is not OK. It actually has direct effect on the gameplay, and encourages pay2win. For the record, I don't see a huge difference between P2W and "pay2bypassgrind" or whatever you want to call it, because those sort of systems still effectively try to punish people into spending money to unlock gameplay-altering elements.

None of this changes my opinion that loot boxes for cosmetic-only items are fine. I draw a very clear line there still. If the game mechanics include upgrades you earn, characters you unlock, etc., that's fine as they build it into the game system (ideally still in a way that's balanced and fun). If they also allow you to pay money to bypass the in-game system for unlocks, that definitely unbalances it, and turns it into P2W.

I'll cut games a *little* slack if they're free to play, as long as they don't make it totally P2W style still. HotS is an example of something I don't have much problem with. All gameplay content is available to everyone without paying a cent (even to buy the game) in two different ways: There's a weekly hero rotation, with more hero slots open the more you play, up to a set amount. Additionally, you earn in-game gold for playing matches and doing daily quests, which you can use to permanently unlock your favorite heroes. The fact that the free heroes rotate every week, plus the fact you earn gold at a pretty respectable pace to unlock new heroes, plus the fact that the entire game itself is free, means I'm OK if someone wants to pay X dollars to unlock some heroes early. Even then, it's not really pay2win, as there are no heroes that are necessarily "guaranteed" better than others.

If they pulled that in a game you already pay to purchase though, like if HotS was a $40 or $60 game and *then* you had to pay even more to unlock heroes you wanted, that wouldn't fly at all. If Battlefront is charging you AAA price to purchase, and then allows you to pay MORE money to instantly unlock obviously powerful heroes others have to grind a lot for, that's just bullcrap, pure and simple. Not even a little bit interested in a game that does that.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: gwizzler

gwizzler
4 weeks ago#25
m0986-8 posted...
Where is the "lootboxes are only cosmetics that ensure future dlc characters, stages, etc are free" option? Because the game that I play that uses lootboxes works like this.

Go look up an EA or Activision quarterly report. They are made available to the public. Publishers spend less money than they did 10 years ago, but make more money. Go figure.
"If the animals can find the strength, why can't we?" - Casey Foster

User Info: pothocket

pothocket
4 weeks ago#26
daemon_dan posted...
Lootboxes in both Shadow of War, Battlefront 2, and CoD: WW2 give you actual P2W elements

Don't lump SoW in with those MP games. That accusation is based on ignorance and people who continue to fling it around are ignorant.
http://www.koalastothemax.com/?aHR0cDovL2kuaW1ndXIuY29tL3pnMGpYWDcuanBn

daemon_dan
4 weeks ago#27
pothocket posted...
daemon_dan posted...
Lootboxes in both Shadow of War, Battlefront 2, and CoD: WW2 give you actual P2W elements

Don't lump SoW in with those MP games. That accusation is based on ignorance and people who continue to fling it around are ignorant.

No they're not. I've played the game. And the last part of it is an insufferable slog without using microtransactions, devaluing the gameplay design considerably.

Sorry, but WB doesn't get a pass for putting P2W in a god damn single player game. If anything it's worse, cause they devalue actually playing the game you payed to obtain and play on your own.
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."

pothocket
4 weeks ago#28
daemon_dan posted...
pothocket posted...
daemon_dan posted...

No they're not. I've played the game. And the last part of it is an insufferable slog

I played it too and no it's not. It's like hearing people complain about Darkest Dungeon being a "grind"

daemon_dan
4 weeks ago#29
pothocket posted...
daemon_dan posted...
pothocket posted...
daemon_dan posted...

No they're not. I've played the game. And the last part of it is an insufferable slog

I played it too and no it's not. It's like hearing people complain about Darkest Dungeon being a "grind"

Those things aren't remotely comparable. You might not like to think it, but the endgame grind of SoW is there intentionally to funnel you to the lootboxes.

pothocket
4 weeks ago#30
Oh, I'm sorry. When you said "slog" I thought you referring to how much of a grind it was.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. "B-b-b-b-b-but it's only cosmetics"

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived