This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

And now Firefox dropped support for legacy extensions

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. And now Firefox dropped support for legacy extensions

User Info: Amakusa

Amakusa
3 weeks ago#111
Voxwik posted...
Life Sympathy posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Addon writers had literal YEARS to prep for this. If their s*** doesn't work with the new version by now it's 100 percent on them. We're talking notice being given to developers AND users as far back as August 2015.

This so hard. Extensions were marked legacy in at least Firefox 53. There is no excuse for active developers dropping the ball on this.

Yes there is, when the new framework is Fisher-Price in comparison. When it's suddenly difficult to even display files already exist and it's impossible to save things outside of the pre-defined downloads folder it's just plain obnoxious, for example.

It doesn't matter to the layman end user how the addon structure changed-- the addon either works or it doesn't work. Fighting on principle might work for some people, but the signs were there that the ones resisting the migration were the ones that were going to end up screwing people.
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 weeks ago#112
There are some add-ons that cannot be done on the new system. For those, the only avenue is feedback.

Perhaps it changed since I last looked, but for example the add-on I used to run separate profiles at the same time was abandoned by its creators, saying it's not possible with the higher level (less access) restrictions of the new model.

User Info: Kalirion

Kalirion
3 weeks ago#113
Amakusa posted...
Voxwik posted...
Life Sympathy posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Addon writers had literal YEARS to prep for this. If their s*** doesn't work with the new version by now it's 100 percent on them. We're talking notice being given to developers AND users as far back as August 2015.

This so hard. Extensions were marked legacy in at least Firefox 53. There is no excuse for active developers dropping the ball on this.

Yes there is, when the new framework is Fisher-Price in comparison. When it's suddenly difficult to even display files already exist and it's impossible to save things outside of the pre-defined downloads folder it's just plain obnoxious, for example.

It doesn't matter to the layman end user how the addon structure changed-- the addon either works or it doesn't work. Fighting on principle might work for some people, but the signs were there that the ones resisting the migration were the ones that were going to end up screwing people.

If Bethesda changes the Skyrim/Fallout/etc engine so that mods can only change numbers and gun textures, are you going to blame the modders for being unable to port their stuff?
Don't be scared of nightmares; make them be scared of you.

Voxwik
3 weeks ago#114
That's a very real threat unfortunately too. Now that the financial folks have dollar signs in their eyes over user created content, the censorship hammer and clampdown on user tools is a threat. They had better not to pull a "only mods run through Bethesda.net will function" kind of thing.

Their evolving game engines are actually quite an asset on that front. They are well developed, and people wanting them to start from scratch don't quite understand how computer programs work because modifying their Creation Engine or whatever the current iteration is called is the most logical way forward. The only thing that would make a totally new engine make sense would be if the current one is fundamentally flawed in such a way as to make creating a new one more cost effective.

Actually, it was precisely user backlash that stopped the first round of paid mods.

Also, the draconian "check with Big Brother Microsoft every three days to play your games" Xbox One DRM was axed after backlash as well. I'm sure there are many more examples.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 weeks ago#115
Kalirion posted...
If Bethesda changes the Skyrim/Fallout/etc engine so that mods can only change numbers and gun textures, are you going to blame the modders for being unable to port their stuff?

If they give two years notice I'm damn sure going to blame the modders if they fail to adequately communicate what's happening with their mods to the userbase who then turn around screaming bloody murder like the change happened over a weekend.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
3 weeks ago#116
Windows 10 is better than 7. It didn't start that way, but it is now. I was one of these stick-in-the-mud 7 users.
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

Voxwik
3 weeks ago#117
Orestes417 posted...
Kalirion posted...

If they give two years notice I'm damn sure going to blame the modders if they fail to adequately communicate what's happening with their mods to the userbase who then turn around screaming bloody murder like the change happened over a weekend.

You are running under the assumption any outrage is about add-on creators not communicating about this. Not only did they communicate with users, but they gave feedback as to what features are missing from the new severely limited add-on model. Mozilla ignored those creators. Mozilla ignored those users. As typical with arrogant UI designers, Mozilla feels it knows best just like Microsoft did with Windows 8.

Effectively the only thing Mozilla had going on Google was destroyed. If this new version is that much faster perhaps the gap is narrowed, but Firefox is still very far behind Chrome in adoption.

This isn't just about add-on creators supposedly not informing their users; but it's about them doing so and Mozilla directly ignoring all of the feedback on the topic. Now there is a crippled high level add-on system whereas there used to be a robust low level system. It's pathetic really.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 weeks ago#118
1. The large number of users confused and blindsided by their addons no longer working suggests strongly that they did not in fact do a great job of communicating to the user base.

2. the fact Chrome was ahead of Firefox in the first place tells you pretty much all you need to know about what features the wider market tends to prioritize. Mozilla chose to chase the majority aggressively, and now we're going to see how that works out for them.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: Pox

Pox
3 weeks ago#119
As a software developer, I've seen enough applications with legacy support to know that they will eventually turn to s***, because of that legacy support. It takes a lot of effort to keep legacy support up.

It doesn't matter when they made this change, people would still complain... Bottom line, switch browsers or deal with it. I'm sure Mozilla knew they would lose people and they had their reasons for moving forward. Think of it as a new browser and not the same Firefox it was before.
gofccyourself.com - Save Net Neutrality

User Info: 27_Sandman_40

27_Sandman_40
3 weeks ago#120
lol @ using firefox in 2017

i assume you like your RAM well done too right?
yankees ws chizzamps
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. And now Firefox dropped support for legacy extensions

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived