This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

And now Firefox dropped support for legacy extensions

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. And now Firefox dropped support for legacy extensions

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
3 weeks ago#121
Pox posted...
As a software developer, I've seen enough applications with legacy support to know that they will eventually turn to s***, because of that legacy support. It takes a lot of effort to keep legacy support up.

This is what I have in mind as well. Too many old ties holding it back and great effort is wasted to make little improvement there is.

On a brighter side, we're only a week into the new build and interested creators are likely still investigating the new parameters for possibilities. Should it unfortunately continue to lack behind with popular and useful addons in a few months , well I guess it's finally the time to say goodbye to FF.

While we're at it, how is Opera these days? It's been fighting with Safari for that no. 3 place for years.

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
3 weeks ago#122
gideond posted...
NoScript 10 just dropped for Quantum so now we have NoScript back. Did I mention it's a hot mess? UI is a nightmare and totally non-intuitive. Anyone waiting for NoScript, keep waiting. It's going to take a while to get this mess straight. Why the interface needed changed seems to be the big question. I thought uMatrix had a convoluted interface compared to NoScript, but this makes uMatrix look easy.

Yeah, I noticed yesterday NoScript was back. I was curious, so I opened it to check it out.

Wow, yeah, that user interface is downright hideous. The funny part is, NoScript was unavailable long enough for me to try an alternative (uMatrix) and get used to it.

I'm now comfortable using uMatrix, and enjoy the extra options it has, so just uninstalled NoScript, and will likely never bother checking it again unless something screwy happens that makes uMatrix horrible.

If the developer of NoScript had simply updated it for compatibility, without the godawful change to the layout, and sooner, I would probably still be using it.

27_Sandman_40 posted...
lol @ using firefox in 2017

i assume you like your RAM well done too right?

I just checked, and Firefox on my machine is using 399.6mb of RAM right now. Not sure what's going on with your machine, but it's not happening on mine.

Then again, I only have one tab open, and only have Firefox open when I'm using it, which is usually only a few hours tops, so that's likely a factor as well.
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD / EVGA 600W ATX / Windows 10 Home 64 bit

User Info: gideond

gideond
3 weeks ago#123
JoboHotep posted...
I'm now comfortable using uMatrix, and enjoy the extra options it has, so just uninstalled NoScript, and will likely never bother checking it again unless something screwy happens that makes uMatrix horrible.

I need to reinstall uMatrix and give it another go. My problem with it was that control is so granular in it that a lot of websites I use were always broken and I would spend a good 5 minutes flipping switches just to get them functional again. Not saying that's a bad thing, but sometimes I just don't have the time for the hassle. Shopping sites were a big issue for me. They load so many 3rd party sites and scripts that I was constantly flipping switches just trying to make it through checkout. I might have to keep a separate profile free of everything but an adblocker just for making purchases easier.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
3 weeks ago#124
27_Sandman_40 posted...

Firefox Quantum -TEN tabs open - only 442 Mb
You were saying?

https://i.imgur.com/PjFXS6k.png
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060 / Thermaltake NiC C5

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
3 weeks ago#125
Born Lucky posted...
27_Sandman_40 posted...

Firefox Quantum -TEN tabs open - only 442 Mb
You were saying?

https://i.imgur.com/PjFXS6k.png

Learning guitar?
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

User Info: Kalirion

Kalirion
3 weeks ago#126
JoboHotep posted...

Is it possible in uMatrix to set a domain's scripts/objects/etc to always be allowed, regardless of the context? For example, if I want youtube/google/facebook/etc scripts to be allowed on all websites without having to white list them on every website? Not being able to do that is my main problem with this extension.
Don't be scared of nightmares; make them be scared of you.

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
3 weeks ago#127
Last night my no-script was allowing ads through. I checked the interface and certain ad scripts were “green” and unlocked automatically. I tried blocking them and nothing happened. I don’t know if it’s a glitch or if no-script took a payout like those ad blockers.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
3 weeks ago#128
gideond posted...
I need to reinstall uMatrix and give it another go. My problem with it was that control is so granular in it that a lot of websites I use were always broken and I would spend a good 5 minutes flipping switches just to get them functional again. Not saying that's a bad thing, but sometimes I just don't have the time for the hassle. Shopping sites were a big issue for me. They load so many 3rd party sites and scripts that I was constantly flipping switches just trying to make it through checkout. I might have to keep a separate profile free of everything but an adblocker just for making purchases easier.

Oh yeah, I totally understand that, and it definitely can be a little time consuming when a site has a ton of scripts to sift through. I just got used to doing it with NoScript, so I've gotten a lot faster at doing it.

Kalirion posted...
Is it possible in uMatrix to set a domain's scripts/objects/etc to always be allowed, regardless of the context? For example, if I want youtube/google/facebook/etc scripts to be allowed on all websites without having to white list them on every website? Not being able to do that is my main problem with this extension.

I still haven't read entirely through the wiki, so I'm not sure if that's possible, and if so, how to go about doing it.

If I find out, I'll let you know, and if anyone else happens to know already, I'd like to know as well, that would be very useful.
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD / EVGA 600W ATX / Windows 10 Home 64 bit

User Info: MasterFeeler

MasterFeeler
3 weeks ago#129
Wahat a noob
i5-3570k, 8gb, R9 270
i5-5200u, 8gb, 940m
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. And now Firefox dropped support for legacy extensions

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived