This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

And now Firefox dropped support for legacy extensions

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. And now Firefox dropped support for legacy extensions

User Info: JustAndrew88

JustAndrew88
3 weeks ago#31
You probably think that game makers shouldn't update their games just in case they break mods too.
You don't understand. Edgar is the one in the hole.

User Info: RyanEsau

RyanEsau
3 weeks ago#32
Firefox got me even though I was specifically opening Firefox to check if I had auto updates on... RIP.

For some reason I had it on 'Automatic Install Updates' instead of "Check for updates, but let me choose to install/download" >_>

Uninstalled it and tried the installer I had backed up on my external but unfortunately the default installer is online installer so it just reinstalled Firefox Quantum (57)...

Took me a minute but I found their old installs (offline installers I believe. It installed 56.0.2 just fine for me).

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/56.0.2/

Looks like the NoScript dev is still finishing up though, so hopefully it'll be out soon enough for Firefox 57. https://noscript.net/

Where's NoScript for Firefox 57 "Quantum"?
2017-11-14: We're working hard to make NoScript for Quantum available to you as soon as possible, even later today if we're lucky enough.

Please be patient: if you feel naked while you're waiting for the "brand new" NoScript, you can still use the "regular" 5.x on Firefox ESR. See you soon!

Still not interested though in Quantam. No thirdparty theme support, wtf. I liked my dark theme very much >_> I'm pretty serious about having dark themes everywhere.

I tried this page first but had no luck -- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-older-version-of-firefox
Looks like it might work but I didn't pay attention and clicked the very last link which was a .tar inside a .tar and even after I had issues replacing the files. So I ended up wiping it.

I find it kinda funny they say this though --

If you can't use the latest version of Firefox, instead of installing an older version and changing your update settings, we recommend that you use the latest version of another browser:

Microsoft Edge

Internet Explorer

Google Chrome

Opera

Safari

Just noticed they have Google Chrome & Opera listed 3 times over in the list. Are they saying something? lol.
PSN: RyanEsau | https://psnprofiles.com/RyanEsau
PC: i7-6700K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC | https://www.steamcommunity.com/id/gamingtothemax

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 weeks ago#33
--

If you can't use the latest version of Firefox, instead of installing an older version and changing your update settings, we recommend that you use the latest version of another browser:

Microsoft Edge -Trident

Internet Explorer - Trident

Google Chrome -webkit

Opera -webkit

Safari -ancient webkit

So really only 2 choices. Not even a firefox variant lol.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: Pauken

Pauken
3 weeks ago#34
In preparation for this BS I already switched to Waterfox on PC. Waterfox's dev has confirmed that legacy addons will be available for as long as possible, possibly forever. As WF is pretty close to FF, the changes I had to go through were extremely minor. Certainly better than switching to the bloatware PoS known as Chrome.

Luckily FF on Android doesn't HAVE legacy addons AFAIK (or at least any worth bothering with imo), so hopefully a clean reinstall will get everything working on there. Plus the new version has support for actual Userscript addons like TamperMonkey, something which vastly improves compatibility with Anti-Adblock Killer Continued, and shouls hopefully make crappy sites like Forbes visitable without being hit by 9001 crappy video ads simultaneously.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
3 weeks ago#35
JustAndrew88 posted...
You probably think that game makers shouldn't update their games just in case they break mods too.

You've yet to answer me.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: Pauken

Pauken
3 weeks ago#36
vlado_e posted...
JustAndrew88 posted...

You've yet to answer me.

To be fair, he has a point. Imagine if Elder Scrolls 6 came out, and Bethesda decided to never release another standalone title in the series again, instead just adding more and more DLC and updates to the game for the rest of the company's lifespan. Considering how insanely unstable Skyrim, for instance, gets when using mods designed for an older version, I doubt anyone will be modding ES6 for very long, outside of "contracted modders" aka paid mods 2.0. This in turn reduces the value of the game drastically, as now the unofficial patch that is practically a necessity in any Bethesda game will likely lose support within the first year of updates, and therefore it's very likely no one will support the game very long after that point.

Or for an example that exists today, look at Minecraft Java Edition. With the practically constant releases of mod-breaking updates, its modding scene has died down DRASTICALLY, as no one has enough free time to maintain mods for 13 new versions per year. This in turn has pushed people towards the Bedrock/Windows 10 version, as it DOES have mods that stay compatible between versions due to having an actual mod API, albeit nerfed hard from the potential freedom of Java Minecraft modding. All according to M$'s plans I guess, as Bedrock Edition only works on Windows 10 PCs currently, short of Android virtualization or being willing to play the horribly gimped-by-comparison Xbone or (eventual) Switch versions.

Basically, too many updates that break mods kill off modding interest, and if said game lives or dies based on usermade content, that's a really bad thing.

User Info: JustAndrew88

JustAndrew88
3 weeks ago#37
vlado_e posted...
You've yet to answer me.

What is there to answer? Mozilla doesn't have to cater to add-on developers. They have no obligation to them. It sucks but that's how it is. If Mozilla wants to take things in a different direction that they feel is right for their product that's what they're going to do. And again, they gave developers months to prepare for it. Every single add-on I have except NoScript was updated in time for the release of 57.
You don't understand. Edgar is the one in the hole.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 weeks ago#38
Addon writers had literal YEARS to prep for this. If their s*** doesn't work with the new version by now it's 100 percent on them. We're talking notice being given to developers AND users as far back as August 2015.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: Jason_Hudson

Jason_Hudson
3 weeks ago#39
It's s*** about NoScript, but I do wonder if Firefox Quantum will stop crashing my GPU driver now.
Specs: i7 4790k@4.6GHz |EVGA 1080 FTW| 16GB RAM - GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE!
TRUMP IS THE GREATEST US PRESIDENT!

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
3 weeks ago#40
Addon writers had literal YEARS to prep for this. If their s*** doesn't work with the new version by now it's 100 percent on them. We're talking notice being given to developers AND users as far back as August 2015.

seems to be how it works with anything new, people ignore s*** then blame something else.
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. And now Firefox dropped support for legacy extensions

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived