This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

And now Firefox dropped support for legacy extensions

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. And now Firefox dropped support for legacy extensions

User Info: daemon_dan

daemon_dan
4 weeks ago#41
vlado_e posted...
snip

Just gonna answer with this

Orestes417 posted...
Addon writers had literal YEARS to prep for this. If their s*** doesn't work with the new version by now it's 100 percent on them. We're talking notice being given to developers AND users as far back as August 2015.

A new standard has been created, established, and add-on makers were told years in advance it would happen. Mozilla wants to move on with their platform. People who don't want to move on with them can download an old version. And that's totally fine. But Mozilla is under no obligation to ensure backwards compatibility with add-ons. I don't EXPECT add-on makers to eternally update them, but I don't expect Mozilla to support legacy forever. Un-updated applications are one of the biggest security threats that exist.
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."
~DevilDriver: I Could Care Less

User Info: Kalirion

Kalirion
4 weeks ago#42
The important thing is that I did not have months to prepare for this. Mozilla/Firefox didn't notify me that my addons would stop working after the update. If I'd known, I would've disabled automatic updates.

Just like Google/Chrome is not notifying me right now that the ChromeApps will stop working soon - one of the Apps I used made a big fat warning about that instead which is how I know.
Don't be scared of nightmares; make them be scared of you.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
4 weeks ago#43
JustAndrew88 posted...
What is there to answer?

What I asked you. Why are addon developers required to provide work for Mozilla without any compensation?
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: JustAndrew88

JustAndrew88
4 weeks ago#44
vlado_e posted...
What I asked you. Why are addon developers required to provide work for Mozilla without any compensation?

Are you being serious? Who said they're required to do any of this? They do this because they want to and they can ask people to donate. This is the same as mods. If you want to be paid for this, you need to find a job pertaining to things like it. If you're good at coding, find a job with coding. Making an add-on or extension is not a job and Mozilla shouldn't have to pay them for it because Mozilla doesn't make them do it.
You don't understand. Edgar is the one in the hole.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 weeks ago#45
Kalirion posted...
The important thing is that I did not have months to prepare for this. Mozilla/Firefox didn't notify me that my addons would stop working after the update. If I'd known, I would've disabled automatic updates.

Just like Google/Chrome is not notifying me right now that the ChromeApps will stop working soon - one of the Apps I used made a big fat warning about that instead which is how I know.

You not paying attention does not mean you weren't notified. The initial announcement was public two years ago and there have been a great many articles since then not to mention the big raging clue that was old addons being moved to the "legacy" status in Firefox itself several months ago.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

daemon_dan
4 weeks ago#46
vlado_e posted...
JustAndrew88 posted...
What is there to answer?

Why did they put in work to Mozilla without compensation in the first place?
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."

User Info: Nixemo

Nixemo
4 weeks ago#47
I switched over to Pale Moon the other day and I recommend you all do the same, I'm loving it so far. It allows use of uBlock and NoScript and seems to be faster than Firefox has been in some time.
Listen to post-punk.

daemon_dan
4 weeks ago#48
Nixemo posted...
I switched over to Pale Moon the other day and I recommend you all do the same, I'm loving it so far. It allows use of uBlock and NoScript and seems to be faster than Firefox has been in some time.

ublock works fine on 57

User Info: JustAndrew88

JustAndrew88
4 weeks ago#49
uBlock has been updated for 57 for quite a while now.
You don't understand. Edgar is the one in the hole.

User Info: cody4783

cody4783
4 weeks ago#50
Biggest RIP for me is probably the loss of the Classic Theme Restorer. I'm a weirdo that keeps the tabs at the bottom of the browser (Not below the URL bar, at the bottom, down by the task bar), and it's kind of a pain in the ass having them back to the top of the screen again. Really, as a whole it just feels like the toolbars/tab options lost all customization in Firefox.

Losing Session Manager and Tab Mix Plus are a big kick in the balls too. Utility and recovery options of both are a big part of my Firefox user experience.

I don't put the blame on Mozilla at all though, I pin this entirely on the developers that either didn't want to do anything about it, or had addons that were simple incompatible in their current form and they couldn't be bothered to make them anew to go forward. In the case of CTR, it lists literally 300,000+ users; I'm curious how with all the notice given, there's "Nothing they can do" as they claim.

In another case, I have a couple themes I use (FT Deep Dark being my main), where the developer directly claims, and I quote:
There are no documentation neither tool(s) to create "complete" themes packages for Firefox 57+ I can't do nothing so FT DeepDark could be installed/updated AS AN ADDON.

Really? Then how do I have multiple themes installed that all, at least as far as I can tell as an end-user, change just as much theme-wise...but still work perfectly fine after the update? "There's nothing I can do" feels like a cop-out.

Of course, I'm no developer and there could be underlying fundamental reasons why the addons can't be ported. But what IS stopping them from rebuilding based on existing layouts and knowledge, to make a NEW version? Besides of course, time and manpower...Firefox has donation options for addon suppliers and I imagine with 300K users there's probably at least a few contributing these days.
PC (1/2017) http://i.imgur.com/0SVA6BP.png
HTC Vive. Embrace the VRevolution
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. And now Firefox dropped support for legacy extensions

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived