This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

And now Firefox dropped support for legacy extensions

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. And now Firefox dropped support for legacy extensions

User Info: JustAndrew88

JustAndrew88
3 weeks ago#81
Fair enough.
You don't understand. Edgar is the one in the hole.

User Info: Ouned

Ouned
3 weeks ago#82
Orestes417 posted...
Ouned posted...
Firefox should've held this update off after seeing how many extensions plain weren't updated to WebExtensions.

Two years notice. Two f***ing years. Any addon developer who was capable of updating had plenty of time to do so. Delaying the release would've accomplished nothing.

A change in schedule would've protected many more users. The last Extended Support Release version of Firefox with Legacy addons is 52, and the next ESR version is 59 (after the loss of Legacy addons, meaning it's too late).

Meaning that Firefox 56 users who can't upgrade but need security now have to rewind all the way back to Firefox 52. And because somewhere between Firefox 52 and 56 the browser's profile structure completely changed, backporting a recent profile to the older versions is impossible, meaning that the user going back to 52 would have to start an entirely new profile.

It would've been much better if they made the last version of Firefox with Legacy addons ALSO the most recent ESR version, so that people waiting for more addons to be supported by WebExtensions could receive security updates for as long as possible.

As it stands, this is a complete mess. Mozilla f***ed up.

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 weeks ago#83
Kalirion posted...
Or do you expect a gaming rig to be 100% offline, with all games & game updates being installed by CD/DVD?

If we're going down the road where the game is obsolete by virtue of the fact that the OS MADE it obsolete then yes, totally offline.

If you're going to be pedantic about having updates because viruses will randomly load themselves, then you make a backup image of the OS because...and I am so sorry that you haven't clued into this until just now.

YOU
ARE
ONLY
USING
THIS
TO
PLAY
GAMES

It doesn't matter how up to date it is because you're playing old games that are obsolete... or should I be worried about updating DOS so I can play my old DOS games?
(Do they still make updates for DOS and if so would it matter to a game made for the old version of DOS?)
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 weeks ago#84
Ouned posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Ouned posted...
Firefox should've held this update off after seeing how many extensions plain weren't updated to WebExtensions.

Two years notice. Two f***ing years. Any addon developer who was capable of updating had plenty of time to do so. Delaying the release would've accomplished nothing.

A change in schedule would've protected many more users. The last Extended Support Release version of Firefox with Legacy addons is 52, and the next ESR version is 59 (after the loss of Legacy addons, meaning it's too late).

Meaning that Firefox 56 users who can't upgrade but need security now have to rewind all the way back to Firefox 52. And because somewhere between Firefox 52 and 56 the browser's profile structure completely changed, backporting a recent profile to the older versions is impossible, meaning that the user going back to 52 would have to start an entirely new profile.

It would've been much better if they made the last version of Firefox with Legacy addons ALSO the most recent ESR version, so that people waiting for more addons to be supported by WebExtensions could receive security updates for as long as possible.

As it stands, this is a complete mess. Mozilla f***ed up.

I'll agree that they should've made the change immediately after an ESR release. That's not the statement I replied to though and changing the schedule to accommodate lazy habits by addon developers is still an absurd suggestion.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: Kalirion

Kalirion
3 weeks ago#85
They have DOSBox to play games. And this update was rolled out as another incremental update, which by default Firefox autoupdates. This is like waking up one day to find that your Windows 98 has been autoupdated to Windows 2000.

Oh wait, MS did autoupdate a whole bunch of Windows 7s to Windows 10. Remember the hubbub about that? And Windows 10 is mostly backwards compatible as far as applications go too.
Don't be scared of nightmares; make them be scared of you.

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 weeks ago#86
Kalirion posted...
They have DOSBox to play games.

Because they don't have to worry about updates on an obsolete system? I think you're catching on....

Maybe in the hypothetical situation you dreamed up they'd invent a way for old games to be compatible in the new OS as well (like an emulator or something)...

Kalirion posted...
This is like waking up one day to find that your Windows 98 has been autoupdated to Windows 2000.

Oh you mean like how some people went to sleep with windows 7 or 8 and woke up to windows 10 without warning? Yeah, that's why I want windows to tell me when there's an update but let me choose when to update.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

Orestes417
3 weeks ago#87
arleas posted...
Oh you mean like how some people went to sleep with windows 7 or 8 and woke up to windows 10 without warning?

You mean other than all the warning that was all over the place at the time that you'd pretty much have to be living under a rock to miss? I mean yeah people are oblivious, but that's a state of being not an excuse.

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 weeks ago#88
Orestes417 posted...
arleas posted...
Oh you mean like how some people went to sleep with windows 7 or 8 and woke up to windows 10 without warning?

You mean other than all the warning that was all over the place at the time that you'd pretty much have to be living under a rock to miss? I mean yeah people are oblivious, but that's a state of being not an excuse.

Honestly i watched a vm upgrade itself. Was funny.
It booted up. Did updates, popped the dialog, then auto rebooted for the updates. I guess the wm_close got sent to the dialog and that counted as consent. It rebooted, installed updates to 7, then shut down and rebooted and started installing 10. I watched it do the whole thing while i was eating lunch. Then rolled back the undo disk.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

Orestes417
3 weeks ago#89
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...
arleas posted...

It booted up. Did updates, popped the dialog, then auto rebooted for the updates. I guess the wm_close got sent to the dialog and that counted as consent. It rebooted, installed updates to 7, then shut down and rebooted and started installing 10. I watched it do the whole thing while i was eating lunch. Then rolled back the undo disk.

What does that have to do with the hundred of news articles, advertisements, and other forms of media that were out there well before Windows 10 was even out of beta? A given person might not have realized the upgrade was going to happen the way it did, but they had every opportunity to have informed themselves.

User Info: Kalirion

Kalirion
3 weeks ago#90
Orestes417 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...
arleas posted...

What does that have to do with the hundred of news articles, advertisements, and other forms of media that were out there well before Windows 10 was even out of beta?

People still didn't expect their Windows 7 to autoupdate to 10 without permission.
Don't be scared of nightmares; make them be scared of you.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. And now Firefox dropped support for legacy extensions

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived