This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I have to admit Quantum is faster

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I have to admit Quantum is faster

User Info: Samurai_Man

Samurai_Man
3 weeks ago#11
Is it worth switching over from Chrome? I originally used FireFox back in the day over every other browser but made the switch to Chrome a few years back because it just seemed to be much faster.
It's your friendly neighborhood Samurai Man.

User Info: Moonse

Moonse
3 weeks ago#12
Pauken posted...
Eh, Waterfox is better.

Mostly because of legacy addons, but also because thanks to utilizing multiple 64-bit cores it beats the snot out of FF's performance.

Firefox has had 64-bit builds for like half a decade now, no? Longer if you consider Nightly builds. Isn't that what Waterfox even was? Just a recompile of those and made it the default with a few options changed in about:config and removal of some fluffy features like Pocket and opt-out telemetry. I could be very wrong here.

32-bit was for a very long time the default when you'd click on the download button but if you went to all the download links like a good boy there had been 64-bit builds available for awhile now. 32-bit was the default for stability and compatibility with extensions (especially Java). In my experience they've always been plenty stable on 64-bit but I guess that was Mozilla's call to make to ensure the average Joe didn't have problems.

The default download has been 64-bit Firefox on 64-bit machines since 2015 it looks like, migration of 32-bit to 64-bit via auto updates was recent.
Extension developers will likely be targeting stable releases of Firefox, Waterfox's legacy support of addons will be temporary thing I'd imagine, assuming Waterfox wants to keep parity with Firefox's bug fixes and improvements.
Mind the grue.
(message deleted)

Samurai_Man
3 weeks ago#14
Yeah...I've switched over to Quantum for now, the add-ons feel much better than Chrome I must say.

User Info: RyanEsau

RyanEsau
3 weeks ago#15
Knighted Dragon posted...
Does Quantum have support for the common addons? Like NoScript and Greasemonkey and Ublock Origin being mandatory obviously

Greasemoneky is compatible I think. uBlock is for sure.

NoScript is still in the works.

In a couple of days, if everything goes fine, and definitely by the end of this week, NoScript 10, the first "pure" WebExtension NoScript version, will be finally released for Firefox 57 and above, after years of work and months NoScript 5.x living as a hybrid one to allow for smooth user data migration.

https://hackademix.net/2017/11/14/double-noscript/

Dev was hoping for today (11/14) but looks like that plan flopped.
PSN: RyanEsau | https://psnprofiles.com/RyanEsau
PC: i7-6700K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC | https://www.steamcommunity.com/id/gamingtothemax

User Info: Kaijuu

Kaijuu
3 weeks ago#16
It's quite faster... But man, not having my tab and menu customization hurts. Hope someone comes out with something similar sooner than later.
Nothing's non-fat. That's why the world is going to explode one day.

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
3 weeks ago#17
It autoupdated. When I clicked my shortcut and it opened, I thought I had somehow opened Edge (which made no sense because I hid it from myself). I don't like the new layout. Oh well. I'm used to being bent over and f***ed by the power's that be. With my intellect, if I hadn't become this complacent, I would've offed myself long ago.

Survival of the fittest has become perverse indeed.
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/RVpcz3Z.png

User Info: wantfastcars

wantfastcars
3 weeks ago#18
I stopped using Firefox several years ago in favor of Chrome, but I'd be willing to give it another look. Is the Mac version updated? Also, how's it work for Flash? I know Flash is kind of a giant gaping security hole in browsers, but once in a while I need it. Does it also support in-browser webm playback now? Got an "incognito mode" equivalent? Are browser themes still a thing? Does it support easy multi-device use via any sort of account system, like Chrome does?

nominturddaddy posted...
With my intellect, if I hadn't become this complacent, I would've offed myself long ago.

Holy s***.
Now Playing: Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
Now, let's count up your sins!

Samurai_Man
3 weeks ago#19
wantfastcars posted...
I stopped using Firefox several years ago in favor of Chrome, but I'd be willing to give it another look. Is the Mac version updated? Also, how's it work for Flash? I know Flash is kind of a giant gaping security hole in browsers, but once in a while I need it. Does it also support in-browser webm playback now? Got an "incognito mode" equivalent? Are browser themes still a thing? Does it support easy multi-device use via any sort of account system, like Chrome does?

nominturddaddy posted...
With my intellect, if I hadn't become this complacent, I would've offed myself long ago.

Holy s***.

Lmao I'm glad someone else caught that.

User Info: MasteroftheArts

MasteroftheArts
3 weeks ago#20
So I ran several benchmarks to test the speed of Chrome, Firefox Quantum, and Edge. Edge did the worst in all but the graphics test, and Firefox narrowly beat out Chrome on speed of searching and running JavaScript applications. Honestly, not that impressive.
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I have to admit Quantum is faster

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived