This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Seeking advice on building a new PC

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Seeking advice on building a new PC

User Info: ZodiacBrave40

ZodiacBrave40
4 weeks ago#1
Hello all,

I previously built a computer back in Fall 2013 and its finally starting to show its age. The first major problem is that my GPU has 2 fans, one of which was getting louder and louder as the summer went on until the fan finally decided to break completely, so now gaming causes the graphics to fail and crash after extensive use. The second problem is the motherboard also suffered some minor damage but damage none the less and I would like to replace.

With that said, I know replacing a motherboard is pretty much the call to rebuild so that's where this topic comes into play. I am hoping to find some advice here on building a good rig that will obviously perform well to modern standards and continue to be of viable service 4-5+ years from now.

Here are some information and goals:

- Use: Only gaming and regular PC activities. I mostly play Final Fantasy 14, but am looking to run Nioh on high/max settings on the new build.
- I do plan on using a 2 monitor setup as I sometimes stream for friends. FYI I do not know which monitors I plan on buying atm, so additional advice on monitor purchasing is welcome.
- Budget: I am hoping to spend $1300-$1500 CAD but am willing to spend a bit more if required/suggested.
- No overclocking plans, no Crossfire plans, no brand loyalty. Just want to play video games like a simple man on a solid working machine with longevity.
- I do still have a working keyboard, mouse, and headset.

Lastly, I can provide a list of my parts that my current build has if anyone wants to see it, but I prefer to just do a full overhaul and start brand new. If i'm forgetting any other information, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for any help and assistance provided.

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
4 weeks ago#2
current parts would be good because you might still have decent hard drive/case/psu/etc. what exactly is the "damage" that was done to your motherboard? does the monitor price need to be included in the $1500?
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

ZodiacBrave40
4 weeks ago#3
yohabroha posted...
current parts would be good because you might still have decent hard drive/case/psu/etc. what exactly is the "damage" that was done to your motherboard? does the monitor price need to be included in the $1500?

I'll grab a list of my current parts asap. As for the damage on the motherboard, let's just say that I forgot to unhook the GPU clip while taking it out (noob mistake, I know), so poof went one of the PCI slots.

The monitors will not be part of the budget as I will use continue to use my existing one in the meantime and then purchase new monitors in the future.

ZodiacBrave40
4 weeks ago#4
Here is a list of my current parts:

CPU: Intel i5-4670k
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP
GPU: Zotac GTX 770 2GB
RAM: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB)
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 620W
HD: Seagate 1TB
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

I also forgot to mention earlier that I do have a working BluRay drive that I will definitely continue using.

User Info: Pelaaja82

Pelaaja82
4 weeks ago#5
Pretty good pc still, i would just seek out a working mobo, a new gpu and maybe 16gb of fastest memory the new mobo will support, also a small ssd for the os would be pretty great.
Pc: i7 6700k/980 ti/16gb ram and Ps4.

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
4 weeks ago#6
well i don't play MMO's, but I do stream and play games in 1440p/144hz with an overclocked 4670k w/ 2 monitors. its a shame about the motherboard, you'd basically be fine with a RAM and GPU upgrade. Your case, psu and hard drive seem fine. i can look up pricing later but i'll be at work for a bit longer.
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

ZodiacBrave40
4 weeks ago#7
Bump

I was thinking my PSU is still good, but that leaves for everything else to be upgraded.

User Info: grand_commander

grand_commander
4 weeks ago#8
Really you don't need to upgrade, just replace the graphics card. A GTX 1060 will give you a very noticeable improvement over even a working 770 while costing less than three hundred USD. It will definitely keep you from feeling your computer's age long enough to be well worth it.

ZodiacBrave40
4 weeks ago#9
Alright, i'll take your word for it, but I still want a new motherboard that will be compatible with my existing parts. I also want to upgrade my RAM, preferably to 16GB.

I'll take a look online and check out some 1060 cards.

User Info: gwwak

gwwak
4 weeks ago#10
Just replace the graphics card and grab two more sticks of 8 GB DDR3 RAM.
Hardcore - We'll probably be modded for this...
Come visit The Range http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1003-
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Seeking advice on building a new PC

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived