This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Seeking advice on building a new PC

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Seeking advice on building a new PC

User Info: Jonbazookaboz

Jonbazookaboz
4 weeks ago#11
Id get an ssd and upgrade to windows 10 too
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"

User Info: ZodiacBrave40

ZodiacBrave40
4 weeks ago#12
You know what, scrap the motherboard thing, everyone is telling me having a broken PSI slot isn't the worst thing to happen, i'll just keep it as be and buy 2 new monitors straight up.

Thank you guys for all the support, I very much appreciate the responses.

Oooooone more question though if i'm allowed to be a pest. What would you recommend? a 1060 or 1070 card for my existing rig? I am willing to spend the extra cash if i'm convinced getting a 1070 is a better purchase.

User Info: Pelaaja82

Pelaaja82
4 weeks ago#13
I think you broke the 16x pcie slot and you only have one 16x pcie slot available, that will only run at 4x speed, thus limiting the gpu power quite a bit.
Pc: i7 6700k/980 ti/16gb ram and Ps4.

User Info: ZodiacBrave40

ZodiacBrave40
4 weeks ago#14
I checked my MB and is indeed the x16 slot that I broke. Welp.

User Info: grand_commander

grand_commander
4 weeks ago#15
Pelaaja82 posted...
I think you broke the 16x pcie slot and you only have one 16x pcie slot available, that will only run at 4x speed, thus limiting the gpu power quite a bit.

Even a GTX 1080 can do okayish on a PCIE 3.0 x4 slot: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_PCI_Express_Scaling/

It would definitely be an argument in favor of sticking with a 1060 and not bothering with a 1070 though. The more power you're putting through, the more that x4 slot is going to limit you. Even a 1080 isn't limited much, but why butt against that limit?

User Info: gwwak

gwwak
4 weeks ago#16
How broken is the slot? Like if it is just the retaining clip, you might still be able to use it. Just make sure the graphics card is screwed extra tight.
Hardcore - We'll probably be modded for this...
Come visit The Range http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1003-
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Seeking advice on building a new PC

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived