This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GOG - Legacy/Old games

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. GOG - Legacy/Old games

User Info: tanookisuit

tanookisuit
4 weeks ago#1
Just found out Cthulhu: Dark Corners (I forget the full title) was updated to work on modern PCs, but apparently the Steam version is still broken?

My question is, does GOG normally update all/some legacy/older games like that? I haven't used GOG much, unless they put out free stuff, and the (rare) sale here and there. If the above case is so, I way start purchasing more from GOG.

Thanks in advance.

User Info: Ultimate_Noob

Ultimate_Noob
4 weeks ago#2
I can't speak for all games on GOG, but I think one of their most admirable policies is that they actually take into consideration whether the games they sell will actually play. Compare that to Steam which in the past has sold Greenlight games that don't even have an executable - even though that might err on the side of merciful rather than negligent.

I bought Vampire: The Masquerade on GOG and it had the community patch already installed into the download. If Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth has unofficial fixes somewhere on the internet, I'd not be surprised if they came pre-packaged in the GOG version.
A pc's brain is the cpu, its heart is the motherboard, its stomach is the hard drive, and its anus is the user.

User Info: tanookisuit

tanookisuit
4 weeks ago#3
That's really neat! I'm too lazy to dig out some of my legacy titles from storage, so just having this convenience is nice.

If anyone has a list of SOME games they updated (and WHAT exactly was updated) that would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to get the older Fallouts and some other stuff...

User Info: Ultimate_Noob

Ultimate_Noob
4 weeks ago#4
I don't have any of the older Fallout games from GOG, but I'd be genuinely shocked if GOG's Fallout 2 didn't come with the 1.02 patches already installed. It's a literally unfinishable game when unpatched.
A pc's brain is the cpu, its heart is the motherboard, its stomach is the hard drive, and its anus is the user.

User Info: Kinoringan

Kinoringan
4 weeks ago#5
Most GOG games will work but 1 particular game, Betrayal in Antara will have problem with windows 10 in later chapters.

User Info: MarceloSampaio

MarceloSampaio
4 weeks ago#6
tanookisuit posted...
Just found out Cthulhu: Dark Corners (I forget the full title) was updated to work on modern PCs, but apparently the Steam version is still broken?

My question is, does GOG normally update all/some legacy/older games like that? I haven't used GOG much, unless they put out free stuff, and the (rare) sale here and there. If the above case is so, I way start purchasing more from GOG.

I can say they always try, yeah.

Some games, like Tex Murphy: Overseer, are broken and even unplayable on most systems, even the GOG version. But they still tried to fix that a lot. They tried different versions of the game, they tried bundling a third party fix with the game, they even tried a coded (FFDSHOW).

But it's a fact that, if the game needs a fix, GOG usually uses it. I'm not the biggest fan of them, but it's a fact that GOG does some work to make everything run well. They don't always succeed, but they ALWAYS try.

-If it's a MS-DOS game, it'll always come with the best tool to make it run on newer systems. Normally, a pre-configured DosBox, but they also use ScummVM in some games;

-If the game requires a fan-made patch to be beatable, they WILL use it. Ultima 9 and Might and Magic 9 are examples of that. EA and Ubisoft (owners of said games respectively) would never bother using some fanmade tool, but GOG does, if needed;

-If a game needs some compatibility settings, GOG will ALWAYS do it automatically for you.
VERY curious cat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlD0e5DUp28
My Steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/marcsm2008
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. GOG - Legacy/Old games

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived