This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would greatly appreciate information on this FPS/ overheating question

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would greatly appreciate information on this FPS/ overheating question

User Info: the9OO

the9OO
4 weeks ago#1
Hi Guys,

I'm really new to PC components and would really appreciate some advise from the experts here.

Just bought a new PC the past weekend and these are my specs:

i7-8700k
1080ti (not going to overclock it no matter what. don't want to risk anything)
32gb ram
PG279Q (g-sync, 144hz up to 160hz)

But I'm not sure what settings should I configure my monitor and GPU to.

I'm mostly worried about my GPU & CPU overheating and burning out.

My question is, should I set a cap on my FPS? Like my monitor is able to go up to 160hz. Should I enable those settings? Can someone explain to me how will it work with G-SYNC enabled too?

I downloaded MSI afterburner to check out temperatures of my GPU as I'm really paranoid about it and noticed it went up to 70 degrees while playing Destiny 2 for a short while. (No idea why it didn't display in game but when I alt-tab, I saw the graph hit 70 at one point and hovered around 60 degrees most of the time).

Currently I only have my monitor refresh rate set at 150 and not sure if it's safe to push it to 160. And also, I read that the FPS can only be as much as the monitor's refresh rate? Using Destiny 2's in game FPS counter, it showed 200 FPS. I'm not sure if that is making my GPU working harder than it is supposed to.

The thing is, I wish to game on max fluid settings but I do not want to risk pushing my components to their limits. Is anyone able to advise me what are the best settings to set for this system? Is it okay to remove FPS caps if the game has the option to set it?

tldr: My priority is to game with the best settings without any modifications/ overclocking and not having to worry about temperatures and hardware components getting abused. How should I best configure the GPU/ monitor settings to my needs? Need advice!

Thanks in advance for your replies!

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
4 weeks ago#2
the9OO posted...
(not going to overclock it no matter what. don't want to risk anything)

Well then you might not want to use nvidia, their GPUs overclock themselves automatically based on a variety of factors.
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 weeks ago#3
Your setup if perfect for gaming you will not have to worry about settings. Just max it and you will be just fin and you will be getting over 60fps in every game. Also you will not have to worry about overheating as long as you got a 2-3 fan type 1080ti your ok
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

mucloud
4 weeks ago#4
It does depend on what resolution you use. At 4k your going to get 60fps or less, at 1440p your going to max out your fps and max out settings.

At 1080p your maxing everything
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: daemon_dan

daemon_dan
4 weeks ago#5
Why is everyone ignoring the fact his GPU only got up to 70 at load popping 200 FPS?

Mate, you're fine. 60-70 is actually the cool range for a GPU. Also, your FPS can go higher than your refresh rate, even with Gsync, it's just the hardware in the monitor is in charge of frame pacing. And it's also likely you were doing 200 FPS in like the menu or the loading screens. You can pop a lot of frames, but if those frames take almost none of your GPU's horsepower, it won't put out as much heat as if those segments were taxing. As for Gsync, just activate it and let your monitor refresh as fast as it wants to. That won't burn it out faster than if not. If a part dies, it's usually not due to heat, but other factors.
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."
~DevilDriver: I Could Care Less

User Info: Echo127

Echo127
4 weeks ago#6
First things first, if you're not overclocking you really don't need to worry about overheating at all. All you need to do is make sure the CPU cooler is set properly and you can do whatever gaming you want with no concern about temps--regardless of framerate and resolution.

Raising your monitor's framerate to 160hz won't have any detrimental effect on your GPU/CPU. It *potentially* could have a long-term effect on the monitor, since you're basically overclocking it. But I wouldn't worry about that either. If it's advertised as being able to reach 160hz it should be perfectly safe.

mucloud
4 weeks ago#7
You do not need to OC your monitor just get one that has a higher refresh rate and your good.

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
4 weeks ago#8
You don’t have to start worrying about GPU temps on air until the high 80’s
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: the9OO

the9OO
4 weeks ago#9
Many many thanks for the replies guys. Really eased my paranoia. I tried overclocking my monitor to 165hz earlier today. Might be my imagination but I was hovering around 107-120+ fps in Destiny 2 while I was running around in the farm instead of the 200 I noticed yesterday. Weird.

In fact, does the 200 fps (destiny fps counter) really mean that I'm seeing 200 fps? Because I don't think I notice the difference from like 120 or 140 fps. Thought the max fps I'd be able to see is 165 as many articles online wrote that if your monitor is X hz, the max number of fps you can see is X.

I was using a 60hz monitor previously and the jump to 100+ fps was HUGE lol.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would greatly appreciate information on this FPS/ overheating question

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived