This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Marvel Heroes to be shut down

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Marvel Heroes to be shut down

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
3 weeks ago#51
Edavy89 posted...

Removal of game mechanics to streamline the game for compatibility with consoles, and in the process destroying the soul of the game.

Man what a train wreck of decisions on their part. It sounds like it was all the CEO from what the people who were fired have said
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: QueenTakhisis

QueenTakhisis
3 weeks ago#52
Edavy89 posted...
>Removal of game mechanics to streamline the game for compatibility with consoles, and in the process destroying the soul of the game.
Pre-Omega:

1. Most story chapters took place in large, open maps, with random events and bosses spawning at random for everyone to enjoy. As in, when a boss spawns, everyone can join in. No need to worry about groups or anything, everyone is rewarded.

2. XP was slow, but steady.

3. The infinity system let us not only level up way past max level (think paragon from D3), but it also let us customize our characters a lot.

Post-Omega:

1. Story chapters were extremely linear, and all the events and bosses are moved to seperate instances. Now all you do is go from point A to point B, with very little reason to slow down in between, or even explore.

2. There are 10 chapters in total. I went from level 1 at the start of the prologue, to max at the end of chapter 4, and I skipped most side quests and those boss rooms/instances.

3. The infinity system was reduced to adding a single point every couple of levels into a handful of painfully obvious skills. No room for customiation at all anymore. At all.

And that's just for starters.
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is the fear of the unknown."
~ H.P. Lovecraft ~

User Info: CourtofOwls

CourtofOwls
3 weeks ago#53
Zohar_Metatron posted...
What actively killed it mechanically about these updates, though?

the best phrase about this is that they took the action out of action rpg

biggest problem having been limiting dashes to having to wait 5 seconds between them
they changed that to letting you have 3 charges and waiting 5 to get 1 back as opposed to the previous unlimited dashing
but that was still awful

then they added a 3 second wind-up to travel powers which not only was annoying but looked absolutely ridiculous in a lot of cases
for example,emma frost entering a runners starting line sprint pose before running
they reduced it to 1 but it was still bad

and in combination with these things they did NOTHING about all the content that was designed around them
bosses would have random affixes so if they got extra aoe on top of their own aoe and in some cases a one shot mechcanic you now had to dodge 8 things with 3 dodges because that was designed around having unlimited dodges

there used to be a points system to unlock powers
they removed points and added talents
talents ended up shoehorning you into only 2 or 3 possible builds

they also changed the way the stats work resulting in some massive nerfs (spider-man and thor in particular) and having to re-gear almost everyone in every slot

and there's probably about 20 more things i'm forgetting
[?]
"He must've been a very important chimp."

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
3 weeks ago#54
CourtofOwls posted...

Not to mention that "talents" didn't unlock until after level 30, a very annoying limit made worse for new players who weren't able to power-level to 30 in a couple hours, and "gated" certain builds. Pre-Omega (can I call it Ermagerd?) you could play Ultron as a summoner pretty much from the get-go, but, IIRC, post-Omega you had to level him to 30+ before you could start playing him as a summoner.

Heh, summoner Ultron brings up some other fun things. Summoners really felt shafted with Omega too. Not saying they got shafted, but between having how you build for summons reworked fairly heavily and having things like the intelligence attribute, something summoners stacked, no longer affect summons really threw me for a loop. Compounding that was how a lot of summoners or summon-capable characters now had Intelligence as one of their two primary/bonused attributes even though it no longer did anything particularly useful for them. Ultron, I believe, is a case in point for that in that his bonused attributes were Intelligence and Durability when Intelligence did less for him, and his summons, than Energy or Fighting would have.

On top of all that, you had all the remaining skills that weren't reworked into talents available at all times and at full power as they now scaled with player level. On the one hand invest-a-point "skills" that don't do anything more than marginally buff damage/buffs don't really appeal to me these days, but on the other hand they could have reworked things so that there was still a point-based system where each rank was actually a meaningful investment, similar to how some skills in Grim Dawn add extra projectiles or increase the minion limit or how every 5th (active) skill rank in Torchlight 2 is a more significant buff to the skill.

That's not even getting into whole debacle over unique/legendary items versus "Omega" items where the former were hit pretty hard by the removal of skill ranks and intended to be phased out while the latter were, as I understood it, supposed to modify skills in a fashion similar to legendary affixes in Blizzard's Diablo game and, AFAIK, were never implemented.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: knightauthor

knightauthor
3 weeks ago#55
according to in-game chat and marvelheroes.info's countdown, the game is now closing on Friday, November 24th, 2017 at 6 PM Pacific Standard time/9 PM Eastern Standard Time.

the only good thing about it (if you can call it that) is that the game ends on Black Friday.

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 weeks ago#56
It sounds like it could have been turned into a decent single player/local experience. Pity this has to happen. I was tempted by this game and I'm very happy I held back. I would not have been happy.

User Info: knightauthor

knightauthor
2 weeks ago#57
Voxwik posted...
It sounds like it could have been turned into a decent single player/local experience. Pity this has to happen. I was tempted by this game and I'm very happy I held back. I would not have been happy.

it could have been a great SP game. too bad most of it was on the server. the game was free to play, so you can try it out.

User Info: Ryyaann_Is_Band

Ryyaann_Is_Band
2 weeks ago#58
Edavy89 posted...
Removal of game mechanics to streamline the game for compatibility with consoles, and in the process destroying the soul of the game

QueenTakhisis posted...
Post-Omega:

1. Story chapters were extremely linear, and all the events and bosses are moved to seperate instances. Now all you do is go from point A to point B, with very little reason to slow down in between, or even explore.
3. The infinity system was reduced to adding a single point every couple of levels into a handful of painfully obvious skills. No room for customiation at all anymore. At all.

CourtofOwls posted...

Damn! Jesus christ no wonder why so many players make the analogy of MH going from D2 -> D3. So many parallels it's not even funny (Console-itis, Campaign linearity, Paragon level system, removal of skill points, pigeonholed into Set builds, etc.)

RIP Marvel Heroes. You were initially bad, then rebranded amazing, then okay, then bad, then dead.
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Ryant12/
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VanillaRice-1752/hero/337193

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
2 weeks ago#59
Marikhen posted...
. Summoners really felt shafted with Omega too. Not saying they got shafted,

They definitely got shafted. Summoners were all I played pretty much, and Omega slaughtered all of them. As soon as I saw the proposed changes I literally never played again.

I'm tempted to launch the game on Friday just to be on when it goes down like how it happened in Overlord, but . . .I'm not sure I'd like to get trapped in the Marvel Heroes world after the changes they made. Travel powers getting gimped would suck

Edit: RIP

Everyone at Gaz has been fired and aren't getting paid their PTO or anything, and only have until Friday to get their things out of the office. Man they got screwed so badly, I feel so badly for them.
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
2 weeks ago#60
https://kotaku.com/marvel-heroes-developer-gazillion-apparently-lays-off-e-1820695861

Well, I guess this means that the only Marvel games I'll ever be playing are the Marvel Alliance and X-Men ARPGs from the PS2 era and Deadpool. With all of the s***nanigans that went on with this game, with Gazillion, and that are going on with Disney it seems like Marvel's going to get a real bEAuty treatment.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Marvel Heroes to be shut down

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived