This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone tell me the difference between mini cards and standard ones

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can someone tell me the difference between mini cards and standard ones

User Info: Gojak_v3

Gojak_v3
3 weeks ago#1
Just for example you can get the GTX 1060 card as a "mini" or standard size card. Is there any difference? What are the pros and cons of a mini card over a standard size one?
http://i.imgtc.com/rIZcfGBEt8.png

User Info: bass_god6790

bass_god6790
3 weeks ago#2
A mini card has no real benefits other than existing for people with smaller cases. Sometimes there's cooling complaints but I've never fried a card before. Used to have a full atx desktop but currently using a small form factor case and 'mini' card. Runs just fine, never worried about over heating
"I Bent My Wookie" -- Ralph Wiggum

Gojak_v3
3 weeks ago#3
So no disadvantages over a full size card?

User Info: bass_god6790

bass_god6790
3 weeks ago#4
Not that I've noticed, but try to find a good amount reviews before purchasing if you can. Sometimes there may be problems that others have come across that are good to be aware of. But that's good policy for any purchase ;)
"I Bent My Wookie" -- Ralph Wiggum

Gojak_v3
3 weeks ago#5
They tend to be cheaper than the full size ones so I'm thinking about getting a mini even though my PC can hold a full one.

I'm looking at a 1060 3gb for $180 over black friday. I'm hoping the 3gb isn't an issue, I've been told the 3gb is fine for 1080p and lower and only need the 6gb one for higher resolutions.

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
3 weeks ago#6
You'll obviously want to pay attention to the actual card stats, but no, performance-wise there shouldn't be much (any) difference. Where there probably *will* be a difference is small form factor cards are likely to have fewer ports (less space to put them, obviously, and fewer ports is also likely why they're cheaper). It's also possible they may not come with a full-sized faceplate, so if you're buying for a full ATX case, you'll want to make sure the card comes with a full faceplate you can swap out, or you won't be able to mount it properly.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
3 weeks ago#7
Temperature is going to be a big factor. Not as much surface area to spread the heat, no room for multiple fan configurations. That would affect overclocking and even temps at the stock speeds.
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 weeks ago#8
The boost clock might be lower if it runs to hot. That's about it performance wise.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
3 weeks ago#9
boost clock may be lower, it might be louder, but that's about it.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

Gojak_v3
3 weeks ago#10
Gojak_v3 posted...
I'm looking at a 1060 3gb for $180 over black friday. I'm hoping the 3gb isn't an issue, I've been told the 3gb is fine for 1080p and lower and only need the 6gb one for higher resolutions.

I'm probably gonna get this card. I desperately need to upgrade as I have an ancient 660ti. I haven't been able to play a triple A game in the last two years cause it's so old. But while I'm on the subject are there any other cards around that price that would be better. I'm seeing an AMD 570 for around the same price. Is that better/worse?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can someone tell me the difference between mini cards and standard ones

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived