This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best Affordable Gaming Headset

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Best Affordable Gaming Headset

User Info: darkoj

darkoj
4 weeks ago#1
Hey all, I'm looking for a quality gaming headset, preferably wireless, that isn't too expensive. $100 is the maximum I'm willing to spend, but ideally, I'd like to purchase a well made headset closer to the $50 price point, so that two can be bought (two children in two different states demands twice the amount of gaming accessory purchases).

The Logitech G933 model went on sale last week for $100 (including a nice arctic white version), but due to many reports of various technical failings of the unit, I hesitated in purchasing a pair.

The Turtle Beach Stealth 400 model is going on sale at Target for under $50 on Black Friday, but there seems to be a consensus that their plastic construction is prone to breaking, and with two elementary aged children to be the ones wearing them, I'm very skeptical of this model. Although my children maintain a high level of respect with our electronics, and they're coached to be gentle with whatever peripheral device they use, I'll be wearing the headset regularly also; call me big headed, or just 6'5", but I fear repeated placement and removal of this headset around my ears will prove disastrous long term.

Wireless is preferred, but a wired connection is acceptable so long as the unit is reliable and performs well. In fact, for my needs, reliability is more importance than sonic fidelity.

So what recommendations do y'all have? Oh yes, it's important to note that having chat functionality is essential. I thank you for your input!
PSN: darkoj-
Single and ready to... not mingle, but rather, fathom existence and maybe... listen to jazz? Gaming it is.

User Info: WalkingPlague

WalkingPlague
4 weeks ago#2
I wouldn't recommend any of these "gaming headsets" with 7.1 surround sound. Its all a gimmick. You're better off with some studio headphones; open-back if that's your thing-- or noise-canceling: Audio Technica, Sennheiser, etc. Not wireless though, but very well made and the sound quality is equally, if not superior to those gaming headsets these companies like to push on people only for them to break within a years time. You also have HyperX brand which is very good from what I hear.

Just my $.02, but of course, buy whatever you want.
Ryzen 1600X @ 3.8Ghz | MSI B350 'Bazooka' | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200mhz | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

darkoj
4 weeks ago#3
Cool, thanks for the input. Do you have any thoughts on headsets with microphones?
Single and ready to... not mingle, but rather, fathom existence and maybe... listen to jazz? Gaming it is.

User Info: dean_666

dean_666
4 weeks ago#4
darkoj posted...
Cool, thanks for the input. Do you have any thoughts on headsets with microphones?

HyperX Cloud 2
MSI Z170 M5 | I5 6600k | CRYORIG H7 | 16GB G.SKILL RIPJAWS | MSI 1070 GAMING X | 1TB 850 EVO SSD | EVGA SUPERNOVA G2

darkoj
4 weeks ago#5
The HyperX line seems promising. I'll look into them further after work.

User Info: Neo1661

Neo1661
4 weeks ago#6
darkoj posted...
The HyperX line seems promising. I'll look into them further after work.

Yeah Hyper X are fantastic headsets for the money. I've got the Hyper X Stinger and best headset I've ever owned. The Hyper X Clouds are also very good.
https://goo.gl/vRAucu
http://i.imgur.com/51jBWDy.png

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 weeks ago#7
WalkingPlague posted...
I wouldn't recommend any of these "gaming headsets" with 7.1 surround sound. Its all a gimmick. You're better off with some studio headphones; open-back if that's your thing-- or noise-canceling: Audio Technica, Sennheiser, etc. Not wireless though, but very well made and the sound quality is equally, if not superior to those gaming headsets these companies like to push on people only for them to break within a years time. You also have HyperX brand which is very good from what I hear.

Just my $.02, but of course, buy whatever you want.

7.1 is a waste when the software for virtual 7.1 I found to be just as good on PC. I saved like $150 for going with 5.1s instead of 7.1s. I use lucisound 30's, and they are great. Got them on sale for about $70.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: KingisLegend

KingisLegend
4 weeks ago#8
HyperX is amazing for the price, You cannot go wrong.

User Info: almightydun

almightydun
4 weeks ago#9
KingisLegend posted...
HyperX is amazing for the price, You cannot go wrong.
DO NOT BE ASHAMED FOR PLAYING VIDEO GAMES.
Embrace the experience and share it with everyone you can.

darkoj
4 weeks ago#10
HyperX is getting a lot of love. It seems they specialize in corded headsets; how do you think the connections will hold up to regular packing and unpacking for interstate travel?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Best Affordable Gaming Headset

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived