This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Going from AMD CPU to Intel

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Going from AMD CPU to Intel

User Info: revolver

revolver
4 weeks ago#21
phantasy posted...
The i7 8700k is way overkill just for gaming alone. Stick to the i5 8400 or 8600

Not necessarily, best single core performance and 6 cores/12 threads for multithreaded engines mean spending a bit of extra money will make it age much better. Best CPU for emulation at the moment as well if you're into that.

If money is tight you're right though.

User Info: ToastyOne

ToastyOne
4 weeks ago#22
You could get a z370 mobo, 16gb ddr4, i5 8400 for about 500 bucks.

Or if you really, really, really want to keep that 16gb ram, you could buy a b85 mobo and a used i7 4790 non k. That would set you back around $260.

Both would perform pretty close, the i5 coming out slightly ahead.

Honestly I'd just buy all new tech.

User Info: Fony

Fony
4 weeks ago#23
- get an 8700. Even with binned, bulls***ed vetted "max oc" 8700K there's exactly 0.8% difference between the two

- you have to get a Z370 board, i don't know what you think or what anyone else is saying...the low end boards for CL don't exist.
It's not the end of the world, but we can see it from here.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
4 weeks ago#24
revolver posted...
phantasy posted...
The i7 8700k is way overkill just for gaming alone. Stick to the i5 8400 or 8600

Not necessarily, best single core performance and 6 cores/12 threads for multithreaded engines mean spending a bit of extra money will make it age much better. Best CPU for emulation at the moment as well if you're into that.

If money is tight you're right though.

Much like how 2700k holds up today.
Really, the i7s have been a solid value for a while. i3 or 17 has been the sweetspot with i5 being the awkward middle child that thinks he's hot s*** because he has 4 real cores like i7 and "hyperthreading is for dweebs".
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: randomoaf

randomoaf
4 weeks ago#25
Personally I'd just get the Ryzen 5 1600 lol

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 weeks ago#26
randomoaf posted...

You would only need to upgrade the CPU and maby RAM, can use the same mobo.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

DarkZV2Beta
4 weeks ago#27
captsplatter_1 posted...
randomoaf posted...

You would only need to upgrade the CPU and maby RAM, can use the same mobo.

This is incorrect. Do not buy a Ryzen CPU and DDR4 expecting to plug it into your AM3 socket board.

User Info: KaizerLaw

KaizerLaw
4 weeks ago#28
revolver posted...
Rob_Van_Dam93 posted...
I mean my friends with the same GPU are getting much better performance in games with their I5 and I7's . Don't know what else could be the issue. They get 90-110 fps in games while mine frequently dips to 40,

Lmao it's honestly hilarious that three posters in a row said you weren't being bottlenecked. That cpu was disappointing for gaming on release next to say a 2500k, much less now. Sure it's acceptable for some gaming but it is definitely holding your gpu back heavily in most titles.

The big thing I noticed going from a 2500k to 7700k is much, much better minimum framerates and frametimes. Such a smoother experience overall.

The idea that an AMD FX-8350 would bottleneck a 1070 is pretty laughable.

DarkZV2Beta
3 weeks ago#29
FX8350 would hold pretty much anything back. It's like an 8-core 4.5ghz Core 2 cpu.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
3 weeks ago#30
FX 8350 was disappointing already at its release. I've always been amazed how much people underestimate how badly it's bottlenecking.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Going from AMD CPU to Intel

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived