This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wolfenstein: Yet another game that gives the finger to the deaf/hard of hearing

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Wolfenstein: Yet another game that gives the finger to the deaf/hard of hearing

User Info: darktemplar20

darktemplar20
3 weeks ago#41
CourtofOwls posted...
CourtofOwls posted...
you have subtitles set to always on and not just "foreign only"?

that was legit question,i wasn't being condesending or anything
the game defaults to foreign only subtitles and i was putting it forward as a possibility it was set to that instead of always on

My bad. I myself haven't played the game, so wasn't aware. Apologies.

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 weeks ago#42
Kerr Avon posted...
the lack of ambient sounds really hurt the atmosphere.

It makes me wonder if someone couldn't come up with a device that vibrated according to what kind of noise... sorta like a rumble chair or something but one that you could determine a direction at least.

I figure you'd wear one on each wrist and it'd have to have some sort of tie in to the game or else it would just basically be a speaker tied to each wrist (which would get confusing in noisy environments). But you could also have it clue the player in on ambient noises as well (maybe lighter vibrations for distant or background noise)

Basically you'd have explosions, or any major events set up to make an appropriate rumble on the wrists, depending on the direction it would come more from one than the other or if it was directly in front/behind it would come from both equally (maybe it could be set to vibrate directionally from back to front or front to back or something).
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: FaultBoy

FaultBoy
3 weeks ago#43
Hint: the game isnt made for YOU
theres no way bethesda or anyone would be able to cater to absolutely everyone
try playing another game isntead of crying like a baby

User Info: Rosencroitz

Rosencroitz
3 weeks ago#44
>Wanting subtitles that aren't half-assed is considered entitlement.

hoooooooooooooooly s***.
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.

arleas
3 weeks ago#45
FaultBoy posted...
Hint: the game isnt made for YOU

It's made for everyone to enjoy (provided they pay for it anyway). So why would you exclude a group especially if you've made an attempt to include them in the first place. I mean, if the game had zero subtitles that might be less frustrating because then you'd know that there's no reason to expect anything at all.

Instead they provide SOME subtitles and don't provide others. So your expectation (if you had a hearing impairment) is that you'd be able to follow along with everything that goes on in the story.

FaultBoy posted...
try playing another game isntead of crying like a baby

Let's hope you never ever have any kind of disability. I mean, if you were in a wheelchair and a building you wanted to enter had a large number of steps in front of the door, I guess you should just pick another building to enter instead of crying like a baby.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png

User Info: Hexenherz

Hexenherz
3 weeks ago#46
I find it kind of hard to believe that a AAA game doesn't have subtitles in 2017. I mean... just why. How much more work and money does it take to copy and paste some text?
i dont like signatures

User Info: FaultBoy

FaultBoy
3 weeks ago#47
arleas posted...
some garbaje

tl;dr

arleas
3 weeks ago#48
FaultBoy posted...
arleas posted...
some garbaje

tl;dr

But you did read it...and now you have no good response so you're plugging your fingers in your ears and going "NA NA NA NA I CAN'T HEAR YOU NA NA NA"

good jorb homestar.
The cranky hermit 3 weeks ago#49
musumane posted...

How much money? Quite a bit. They would need to get the script for the game, pay someone to code, and sync the dialogue to the audio, and pay for proofing. Time alone you are looking at 1k+ just for the workers wage. Not a lot of money to them, but it is still an expense they can save

Most of this work has already been done. The game has subtitle-only support for Polish and Chinese, so presumably they get subtitles for everything. It would be pretty weird for them if they didn't. And if so, then the programming and syncing is already there, and only the English transcription is missing.

And then King's Quest 7 and Woodruff were released. They looked like amazing games. I loved them, actually... Except for the fact that they didn't have subtitles AT ALL. The games REQUIRED you to understand the voices perfectly, because subtitles didn't work even if you disabled the sound.

KQ7 allowed subtitles. You had to turn them on in the setup tool, but they were always there.
https://lpix.org/1976389/Clipboard10.png

Several other voiced Sierra games allowed subtitles too, but they weren't consistent about it.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: XianMei

XianMei
3 weeks ago#50
Kerr Avon posted...
Some time back (maybe 2004/5) I worked with a bloke who was deaf and a gamer, and like me he loved first and third person shooters, and he told me how bad many games were when you were deaf. That made me curious, so I deliberately spent a week playing games with no sound (the speakers turned off), just to see what it was like. I knew it would be bad, of course, but I stuck with it and it was worse than I thought it would be. The lack of game music wasn't so bad, that didn't bother me much at all (but then I've never been a big fan of music), but the lack of ambient sounds really hurt the atmosphere.

Much, much worse was how little help games tend to give deaf people. First of all, it surprised me how few games actually had subtitles. That was bad enough, but that was only for the story, mainly. I hadn't realised (I had no cause to) that most first person action games make no allowance for deaf people as far as the game mechanics go. I mean, when you can hear, then you hear (through the game) roughly where an enemy is (at least, with stereo speakers you know roughly where, and surround sound is much better), and you can hear sudden gunshots that alert you to the fact that someone has started shooting in your direction. Lots of first and third person shooters have enemies who, when they see you, shout "There he is", or similar, which also alerts you to the fact that you're not alone and the enemy has seen you.

And in a Thief style game, then you can hear footsteps which alert you, and when you're hiding, then the footsteps get louder when the enemy approaches. Plus stealth games make your own footsteps louder the faster you move, but when you're, say, near in-game machinery that makes a lot of noise, then you can safely run or make as much noise as you like since the enemies won't hear you because any sounds your in-game character might make are drowned out by the very loud machinery.

But I can't remember even one first or third person shooter offhand, that offers an option of an onscreen display that points an arrow or other indicator towards the direction(s) where sound is coming from, for the deaf gamers. It doesn't have to be extravagant or anything major, just something in one corner of the screen that display an arrow at the direction of the sound, with either text or the arrow itself being colour coded to let you know if the sound is gunfire, or an explosion, or a shout, or footsteps. And maybe the larger the arrow (or the darker red, or something) the louder or closer the sound that caused it.

Playing a first person stealth game like the Thief series must be pretty bad for most deaf people, unless you have the option of such onscreen visual representation of sounds. And by now, you'd think there would be all sorts of help for deaf gamers. My own hearing isn't fantastic, and I sometimes put of subtitles to help me follow the speech, especially if the in-game speech isn't always clear due to the in-game sounds being as loud as the speech.

Glad that someone understands.

That said, in game music is VERY important to me. Oftentimes it's most of the immersion, and it's oftentimes what I remember the most.
My quest to beat 40 games by March 1st 2018!
https://pastebin.com/8i5EiCi1
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Wolfenstein: Yet another game that gives the finger to the deaf/hard of hearing

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived