This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What type of monitor should I look for on Black Friday?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What type of monitor should I look for on Black Friday?

User Info: TylerJ

TylerJ
3 weeks ago#1
I'm looking to upgrade because I'm currently using a 22 inch Samsung TV as a monitor. It's not bad by any means - but I expect any new monitor I buy will be bigger and offer better performance.

My current PC is as follows: i7-4790k, 16GB RAM, AMD RX 480 GPU. Use case mixed between gaming (largely racing games like PCars 2 and Assetto, RPG's, and Heroes of the Storm) ; multimedia viewing (films, TV, YouTube), video editing and work (MS apps)

I'm not sure which way monitors are going, and what I should look for specifically, but my options seem to be either:

1. 1440p something 24 inches. Would have to downscale graphics in latest games, but would offer me additional screen space. Seems to be the most expensive option especially if I look for freesync and higher refresh rates.

2. 1080p ultrawide - would assist me in some games whilst not taxing my GPU, and probably offer me the most screen space for the money, but risks compatibility issues with older games. The LG UM68 appears to be the standout in this category.

3. 1080p 144Hz - LG & Viewsonic appear to offer the best in this category, but there's the lovely Samsung FG73 curved as well.

I've not ruled out using my screen as a second monitor in the future either.

No clue which option would be best for me, given I think all 3 options are a noticable upgrade to what I'm currently running.

Budget is £200-250 hence I've ruled out more costly options, and I've no intention of upgrading my GPU for a couple of years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wScxZaWyL9A

User Info: baseketballr09

baseketballr09
3 weeks ago#2
144hz is beautiful.
Another One

User Info: TylerJ

TylerJ
3 weeks ago#3
baseketballr09 posted...
144hz is beautiful.

Is it worth it with an RX480 though? I'm conscious only some games I run are capable of 100+ frames without compromising graphical settings. That's my main concern.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wScxZaWyL9A

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
3 weeks ago#4
baseketballr09 posted...
144hz is beautiful.

That it is and so is 1440p, 1080p is a blurry mess to me now.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What type of monitor should I look for on Black Friday?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived