This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gsync, do I need it to game at 144hz?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Gsync, do I need it to game at 144hz?

User Info: Shebeskii

Shebeskii
3 weeks ago#11
Having used a PG279Q all summer I have some things to mention.

G sync improves the look of ALL framerates without additional input lag. Unless you can lock your framerate to the refresh of your monitor there will always be uneven frame pacing, V sync or not.

For example 100FPS looks very smooth, but it only looks its best if you can lock your game to 100FPS with your panel running at 100Hz with V sync. 100FPS on 144Hz/120 fixed? Way worse V sync or not.

People think G sync is JUST V sync without the additional input lag, but in practice it's much, much more than that.

My example game running at 100FPS on a 144Hz panel will have some frames display for double the length, some the appropriate length to fit into the fixed 144Hz, regardless of V sync setting. If your framerate is variable (like almost all games out there), then your uneven frame pacing will be even worse, randomly fluctuating from 80 to 120, for example. At 80FPS you end up with 50% more double displayed frames than 120, but 120 still has some frames lingering at a 144 fixed refresh causing very subtle but pervasive stutter.

Without V sync engaged you do eliminate some of the stutter by drawing the next frame immediately, but instead significantly reduce image quality with tearing.

People say they can't see tearing but they're kidding themselves - they're just used to it. Sometimes the image can have multiple tears all over the image, but they're all slight. Once you're used to G sync, going to fixed is like going back to 60Hz from 120 or more. It's that big, and it's that big because of the significantly improved frame pacing coupled with significantly improved image quality without compromise to immersion with low input lag.

TL;DR G sync makes everything smoother, V-sync or not. 100FPS G sync is absolutely smoother with much crisper image quality than 144FPS on a fixed refresh 144Hz panel without Vsync, with only 144FPS locked with V sync looking anything comparable as long as it doesn't dip, but with noticeable input latency.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens

User Info: neroAngelo

neroAngelo
3 weeks ago#12
GSync > Hz
PSWii360U - This is how I triforce http://i.imgur.com/9qF9vGa.jpg
i7 6700k@4.5, 32GB DDR4, 1070 G1 8GB, 512GB 840 pro, 960 GB SanDisk Ultra II, HTC Vive

User Info: Andromicus

Andromicus
3 weeks ago#13
So is there a tangible benefit to gsync on a lower refresh rate monitor?

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
3 weeks ago#14
Do you need G-Sync to game at 144Hz? No.

Would it be a nice to have? Yes.

/topic
Ryzen 1600X @4GHz | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-Sync 1ms
i7 3930K @4.8GHz | 16GB 2133MHz DDR3 | GTX 1080 8GB

User Info: theswatleader

theswatleader
3 weeks ago#15
Honestly 1440p 144hz without gsync isnt that expensive. Also if possible get the monitor i got. A 27 inch dell that is 1440p 144hz 1ms gsync for about 400-450 should be able to find it at that price.

User Info: NeedMoreMoney

NeedMoreMoney
3 weeks ago#16
Andromicus posted...

I'm asking this as well.

I have a PQ27AQ that's 4k 60hz G-sync. I have it off at the moment because how it would cap my framerate to 60.

You think I should be turning it on?
-

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
3 weeks ago#17
NeedMoreMoney posted...
Andromicus posted...

I'm asking this as well.

I have a PQ27AQ that's 4k 60hz G-sync. I have it off at the moment because how it would cap my framerate to 60.

You think I should be turning it on?

I get that issue too with it capping at 60fps sometimes.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Sonorous_Jon1S8

Sonorous_Jon1S8
3 weeks ago#18
The faster you push framerate the less noticeable screen tearing becomes.

User Info: Metalfan49

Metalfan49
3 weeks ago#19
https://slickdeals.net/f/10848847-27-dell-s2716dgr-2560x1440-144hz-gsync-gaming-monitor-350-free-shipping

I upgraded mild 1080p 60 hertz screen to this Dells little brother the 24-inch version. Great screens, and if you snag these you can see for yourself the difference between g-sync and vsync
Love,
metalfan49

User Info: unclee

unclee
3 weeks ago#20
Metalfan49 posted...
https://slickdeals.net/f/10848847-27-dell-s2716dgr-2560x1440-144hz-gsync-gaming-monitor-350-free-shipping

I upgraded mild 1080p 60 hertz screen to this Dells little brother the 24-inch version. Great screens, and if you snag these you can see for yourself the difference between g-sync and vsync

I have the 25" version of that monitor. It's easily the best monitor I've ever used and is worth every penny.

BrokenMachine85 posted...
Do you need G-Sync to game at 144Hz? No.

Would it be a nice to have? Yes.

/topic

Basically this. G-Sync isn't essential, but it's really nice to have. Once you've used it though? It's hard to go back to anything else IMO.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Gsync, do I need it to game at 144hz?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived