This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did EA really cave to the bad PR and pressure?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Did EA really cave to the bad PR and pressure?

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 weeks ago#11
revolver posted...
Interesting, they're still losing a bunch of money by removing it for their opening week. I imagine the negative press and huge amount of cancelled preorders convinced them that this was necessary.

Well, it's one battle won for now but I still think we are screwed in the long run as far as a lot of AAA games go. Luckily I'm on pc and have smaller devs and a 30 year backlog of classics to play.

I'm worried for the next battlefield game.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: revolver

revolver
4 weeks ago#12
captsplatter_1 posted...
revolver posted...
Interesting, they're still losing a bunch of money by removing it for their opening week. I imagine the negative press and huge amount of cancelled preorders convinced them that this was necessary.

Well, it's one battle won for now but I still think we are screwed in the long run as far as a lot of AAA games go. Luckily I'm on pc and have smaller devs and a 30 year backlog of classics to play.

Yeah it's too bad because DICE puts out generally quality games with a very nice looking and optimized engine.

User Info: ablerider

ablerider
4 weeks ago#13
If they have a bit of dignity then they will have cosmetic MTs only, it's the only way they could get away with it and since so many are keeping a close watch on them, they don't have a better option.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 weeks ago#14
revolver posted...
captsplatter_1 posted...
revolver posted...

Yeah it's too bad because DICE puts out generally quality games with a very nice looking and optimized engine.

So far they have been good with the microtransactions, but it might change with the next game. Uber gun drops in the battlepacks. I can just skip battlefront 2 altogether if they pull that crap, but my Battlefield is precious to me.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: revolver

revolver
4 weeks ago#15
ablerider posted...
If they have a bit of dignity then they will have cosmetic MTs only, it's the only way they could get away with it and since so many are keeping a close watch on them, they don't have a better option.

Overwatch and CS:GO are very successful with this, they were dumb to try and push the mobile business model in a AAA game. Especially a Star Wars game which people are starved for since EA took over the license.

User Info: Jason_Hudson

Jason_Hudson
4 weeks ago#16
"EA CEO Andrew Wilson spoke with Disney CEO "

Lol don't f*** with the Mouse. Disney obviously doesn't want their brand associated with this negative press, so they've clearly gone and told them to make changes.

Simple fix - keep the loot boxes, but make one that does cosmetics that can be bought using currency bought with real world money. The other loot boxes can only be bought with in game credits. At the same time, double or triple the amount of credits received at the end of the match.

Problem sorted. It's a quick fix, but removing them entirely would take so much work.

Now, should this actually pan out the way I'm hoping (cosmetics only), then it should hopefully cause other publishers to back down with pay to win bulls***. If you want to sell cosmetics, then go ahead. So long as the game and the progression isn't being affected, I can accept it. I do expect to be able to earn these things in game too though (such as Overwatch).

Oh, and yes, whining apparently really does work. That post on Reddit and the huge backlash (that rivalled the original paid mods thing on Steam) really helped. I believe that the absurd cost of the heroes being reduced was a play at making EA look like the good guys, whilst also diverting attention away from the loot crates, but this move was completely unexpected. Blown up in their faces, and I couldn't be happier to see it happen to EA.
Specs: i7 4790k@4.6GHz |EVGA 1080 FTW| 16GB RAM - GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE!
TRUMP IS THE GREATEST US PRESIDENT!

User Info: Hexenherz

Hexenherz
4 weeks ago#17
SinisterSlay posted...
Probably just broken or being revamped or refreshed. The entire point of a multiplayer game is the microtransactions, so no way in hell they are getting rid of them.

That's not the entire point of a multiplayer game...
i dont like signatures

User Info: ablerider

ablerider
4 weeks ago#18
revolver posted...
ablerider posted...

Overwatch and CS:GO are very successful with this, they were dumb to try and push the mobile business model in a AAA game. Especially a Star Wars game which people are starved for since EA took over the license.

Yep, wrong time to test the waters they should've done it with one of their IPs. Star wars is such a big name so there was no need to do anything special to sell it but of course EA's greed took over and they got in this huge mess.

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 weeks ago#19
Hexenherz posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Probably just broken or being revamped or refreshed. The entire point of a multiplayer game is the microtransactions, so no way in hell they are getting rid of them.

That's not the entire point of a multiplayer game...

Yes... yes it is. There is no value in maintaining servers and running costs if they aren't making money from it. All multiplayer games since 2003 have had microtransactions. And still do.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: Death_Born

Death_Born
4 weeks ago#20
SinisterSlay posted...
The entire point of a multiplayer game is the microtransactions, so no way in hell they are getting rid of them.

They've done pretty well just by selling the game up until now. Pay $60, get game, play multiplayer as long as you want and unlock everything through the game. You know, like how it is now...

SinisterSlay posted...
Yes... yes it is. There is no value in maintaining servers and running costs if they aren't making money from it. All multiplayer games since 2003 have had microtransactions. And still do.

You do realize they can maintain the servers by *gasp* saving some of the revenue they made from selling the game for server maintenance costs. Yeah, saving money, what a concept. There is plenty of value in maintaining servers even after you got your money, because that's what people paid for, the ability to play the game as long as they please.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Did EA really cave to the bad PR and pressure?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived