This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did EA really cave to the bad PR and pressure?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Did EA really cave to the bad PR and pressure?

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
3 weeks ago#51
AtmosOmega posted...
This is pure speculation, not fact.

It’s fact that EA reversed the decision right after getting a call from Disney’s CEO. It doesn’t take a genius to do the math there.

AtmosOmega posted...
Personally, I doubt Disney pulled the licensing leash on EA,

Anyone who thinks that Disney has to “pull a licensing leash” doesn’t understand just how powerful Disney really is. I’m sure EA is bending over backwards for Disney, no threats needed. I’d still wager that the idea to pull the in-game currency came from EA in an effort to appease Disney. I’m sure Iger just wanted the situation resolved and it was EA who offered up the plan.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

User Info: AtmosOmega

AtmosOmega
3 weeks ago#52
ClunkerSlim posted...
It’s fact that EA reversed the decision right after getting a call from Disney’s CEO. It doesn’t take a genius to do the math there.

It may not take a genius to "do the math", but it does take a fool to jump to conclusions.

I'm skeptical it was Disney for a couple of reasons, but the big one being that they haven't been terribly concerned with the optics on some of their other IP ventures as of late. See their Marvel comics division, who has basically burned the comics industry to the ground around them, and who aren't just a licensee, but actually directly owned and funded by Disney themselves.

If they aren't willing to keep their own house in order, well, forgive me if I'm not exactly quick to give them credit for reigning in the antics of a third party using their IP.

ClunkerSlim posted...
Anyone who thinks that Disney has to “pull a licensing leash” doesn’t understand just how powerful Disney really is.

I'm pretty sure everyone understands how powerful a multi-billion dollar media monolith is, Mr. Condescending.

Unless Disney has come out and made a statement, we don't actually know if they were the actual cause of the pullback on the MTs, or if it's just EA being EA as usual, because they've pulled this same "I'm so sorry, truly!" PR bulls*** so many times before WITHOUT having some bigger entity throw their weight around.

I've been following this development loosely, and I just wanted to know if the Disney angle had any legs to it beyond speculation. I think it's quite possible Iger did pull the invisible leash a bit, but I'm not fully convinced either way until I get something more.

That said, I do know that Bank of America called an emergency session with EA specifically to talk about SWBF2's performance and its immediate impact on EA's share value; which would seem reason enough to temporarily cease the brutal grindwall/paywall without having Disney get involved at all. (or it could be a confluence of both BoA and Disney; we don't know, and aren't likely to know)
If you don't like what a gaming company is trying to force upon you and the market, don't buy that company's games.
Cruel DRM can only flourish if you let it.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Did EA really cave to the bad PR and pressure?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived