This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wow, so does anyone like Firefox v57 Quantum?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Wow, so does anyone like Firefox v57 Quantum?

User Info: Amakusa

Amakusa
3 weeks ago#81
I pretty much used this as an excuse to change from Greasemonkey to Tapermonkey. Greasemonkey doesn't seem to work half the time.

The worst thing I've run into so far is I don't know how to unspagetti-allow certain features of Reddit in uMatrix.
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.

User Info: red_robin

red_robin
3 weeks ago#82
Hey just letting you guys know it's 2017 and firefox hasn't existed for like 10 years

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
3 weeks ago#83
I looked into uMatrix, and it's compatible with Quantum so I went ahead and installed it.

I haven't read the wiki yet, but definitely looks like I'm going to need to, wow, uMatrix seems to have a lot of options and settings.

It definitely has a script block function though, and that's the main thing I was after, so I may not be going back to NoScript even after it's updated if uMatrix ends up working for me.
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD / EVGA 600W ATX / Windows 10 Home 64 bit

User Info: Djoser2000

Djoser2000
3 weeks ago#84
JoboHotep posted...
I looked into uMatrix, and it's compatible with Quantum so I went ahead and installed it.

I haven't read the wiki yet, but definitely looks like I'm going to need to, wow, uMatrix seems to have a lot of options and settings.

It definitely has a script block function though, and that's the main thing I was after, so I may not be going back to NoScript even after it's updated if uMatrix ends up working for me.

Was the same for me at first but after few moments: it's amazing.
You simply have more options. If you f.e. just want to have the images from an external source, you just allow them, nothing else.
NS didn't had this. In NS you blindly have to allow everything or nothing.

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
3 weeks ago#85
Edgy89 posted...
Wow I wish I had so few actual problems that I had to come up with s*** like that to try and get angry about.

FTFY.

ElDudorino posted...
and back when I tried it it was also a resource hog compared to FireFox though I think that's no longer the case.

Takes Firefox, pre-"Quantum" versions at least, something like loading 20 or so out of 40 or 50 tabs across 4-5 windows before it hits 4GB RAM usage on my system. Chrome hits 3GB with a single tab in a single window after a few days of sitting there. Not going to say Chrome's better or worse when in use, but when just sitting there nets it a RAM footprint 75% the size of Firefox's after being used hard all I can think of is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjQtzV9IZ0Q

JustAndrew88 posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
I mean internal memory memory where as if you had FF open and tried to use it it will be moving at like 3fps even the mouse cursor but out of the window and into everything else, mouse cursor in all will be back to working normally fine and perfectly.

Huh. I've never heard of that before. Weird.

I see this sort of issue fairly often myself, and it seems worst after I've been doing some heavy viewing on YouTube while gaming. I've had Firefox go up to 12GB RAM before while still being fairly responsive, but I've had it render/operate everything at 3-5 FPS at 3GB as well.

Lately it's been a lot more of the latter and a lot less of the former as I'm constantly having to restart Firefox every few days to keep it usable despite there being literally zero visible performance reasons for it such as limited RAM or CPU resource availability, and with Firefox most often being off of my main monitor it should be using my iGPU for any hardware rendering, not my GTX 1060, so there shouldn't be any resource competition much less deficiency there.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: youshallbeasgod

youshallbeasgod
3 weeks ago#86
I'm surprised, this thing is quite fast
Firefox is finally good again
uMatrix works
Relax, it's just a game.

User Info: Lee7

Lee7
3 weeks ago#87
I tired it on my laptop(toaster), its centrally faster(youtube, for once on firefox, actually plays videos smoothly), but "lower ram usage" is pure BS, it still eats ram like candy. I dont have any major complains other than add-ons not being updated to support it.

And so until tabmixplus gets updated, Im staying on old version on my main PC.
-Sense, this makes none-
-AMD Duron 650 @ 400 MHz / NVIDIA TITAN Xp / 2TB ram / 8MB HDD / Windows ME/ Some random PSU / Sony FW-900 24" CRT monitor-

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
3 weeks ago#88
Djoser2000 posted...
Was the same for me at first but after few moments: it's amazing.
You simply have more options. If you f.e. just want to have the images from an external source, you just allow them, nothing else.
NS didn't had this. In NS you blindly have to allow everything or nothing.

Oh, I knew how to allow or block individual scripts in NoScript, I never whitelist an entire page (though some sites may only have one or two scripts in the first place).

There's just more options, as you said. I still haven't read the wiki yet, but I'm definitely going to, so I know what everything does.

It appears most scripts are blocked as default, which I actually like, that's how NoScript was setup, and I'd go through the list and enable the scripts that are actually needed one by one.

youshallbeasgod posted...
uMatrix works

So far I really like it, and seems to do what I'm needing from it, so fairly sold on it. I imagine I'll like it even more when I know what everything does.
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD / EVGA 600W ATX / Windows 10 Home 64 bit

User Info: CourtofOwls

CourtofOwls
3 weeks ago#89
does flash not work?
[?]
"He must've been a very important chimp."

User Info: daemon_dan

daemon_dan
3 weeks ago#90
CourtofOwls posted...
does flash not work?

It works just fine
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."
~DevilDriver: I Could Care Less
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Wow, so does anyone like Firefox v57 Quantum?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived