This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You think buying pre-owned ram is fine?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. You think buying pre-owned ram is fine?

User Info: bubbub01

bubbub01
4 weeks ago#1
Topic.

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 weeks ago#2
Depends on:

How much
What speeds
DDR4 or DDR5
How old is it?

Did that person amp the voltage up? There would be no way to tell but usually RAM lasts forever.

If it's cheap and what you need then go for it.
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
4 weeks ago#3
from someone I trusted? yes
from some random/ebay/etc...? no
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.

bubbub01
4 weeks ago#4
Killah Priest posted...
from someone I trusted? yes
from some random/ebay/etc...? no

Lol it somes random ebay guy but he says he's selling it because the computer he built wasn't purchased by the guy that was suppose to. Seems like a legit excuse. IDK though.

bubbub01
4 weeks ago#5
mucloud posted...
Depends on:

How much
What speeds
DDR4 or DDR5
How old is it?

Did that person amp the voltage up? There would be no way to tell but usually RAM lasts forever.

If it's cheap and what you need then go for it.

DDR3 $100 for 16gb. All I can get without upgrading my motherboard. Said it was barely used.

User Info: halomonkey1_3_5

halomonkey1_3_5
4 weeks ago#6
Barring someone knowingly selling you faulty(or heavily abused) RAM, pre-owned RAM is actually "safer" than buying new RAM. You have a higher chance of RAM being DOA(or failing in the first few hours of use) than you do having it fail from normal use during the middle of its useful lifespan.

Granted with faulty new RAM you have a warranty and it will get replaced for free or you can return it. But if you're buying on Ebay or something they usually warranty you against someone selling you a broken product(if it was advertised as working). Just run Memtest when it shows up to double check it.
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
4 weeks ago#7
it could be legit but I have ram right here I know is bad and it might work fine for months before an error is noticed...

thats why I'd always be skeptical of ram.
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.

User Info: loader963

loader963
4 weeks ago#8
Dude it’s eBay so you are safe. Matter of fact you could even get it free if you were that kind of person. If you want it, go for it.
I can be patient, but I'm not waiting!

User Info: Cozy

Cozy
4 weeks ago#9
If something bad does happen with the RAM you can file a dispute. eBay is pretty good for that.

If you aren't looking to go through that trouble, then make sure you check the sellers reputation, see if there are any complaints or negative feedback.
"Poop"

User Info: betatech

betatech
4 weeks ago#10
Depends on the situation.

If it's cheap enough or can't be bought new (e.g. if I needed some SDRAM) then I would.
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080ti, CM 690 II. Win 10/Win8.1 x64.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. You think buying pre-owned ram is fine?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived