This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Star Wars Battlefront II, Disney and EA May Have a Gambling Problem

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Star Wars Battlefront II, Disney and EA May Have a Gambling Problem

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
4 weeks ago#1
http://fortune.com/2017/11/15/star-wars-battlefront-gambling-disney-electronic-arts-loot-box-crate/

"The problem, specifically, is the loot box system, says the Belgian Gaming Commission, because players pay money for certain things, but they do not know what that money will actually buy. That is gambling, says the Belgian governmental body."

The plot thickens..........
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games

User Info: TomorrowDog

TomorrowDog
4 weeks ago#2
Loot boxes are s*** but this reasoning seems kind of shaky to me. We never cared about $8 random card packs that might have a holo that could sell for a hundo.
sub.bitballoon.com
Some browser games in various stages of completion.

User Info: Samurai_Man

Samurai_Man
4 weeks ago#3
TomorrowDog posted...
Loot boxes are s*** but this reasoning seems kind of shaky to me. We never cared about $8 random card packs that might have a holo that could sell for a hundo.

This, if loot boxes are gambling then oh boy did I do a lot of gambling from ages 5-12 with buying Pokemon and Yugioh random card packs lol.
It's your friendly neighborhood Samurai Man.

User Info: Dyshonest

Dyshonest
4 weeks ago#4
Well yeah, you were gambling.

You're pissing on people who dislike this form of gambling because in your generation, no one did anything about the equivalent?

Your logic: Why bother improving anything?

Gambling is defined as money being exchanged for an uncertain outcome.

User Info: Ultimate_Noob

Ultimate_Noob
4 weeks ago#5
Why don't real gambling businesses circumvent gambling laws by giving you worthless prizes when you "lose?"
A pc's brain is the cpu, its heart is the motherboard, its stomach is the hard drive, and its anus is the user.

User Info: pothocket

pothocket
4 weeks ago#6
Samurai_Man posted...
TomorrowDog posted...

This, if loot boxes are gambling then oh boy did I do a lot of gambling from ages 5-12 with buying Pokemon and Yugioh random card packs lol.

People did care back then too. You just didn't notice it because you were only 5-12 at the time
http://www.koalastothemax.com/?aHR0cDovL2kuaW1ndXIuY29tL3pnMGpYWDcuanBn

User Info: youngfossil

youngfossil
4 weeks ago#7
pothocket posted...
Samurai_Man posted...
TomorrowDog posted...

People did care back then too. You just didn't notice it because you were only 5-12 at the time

This

It's sad that governments have to step in to stop these bad anti consumer practices.
While I may not agree with your opinion, I will defend to the death your right to have it.

User Info: Edavy89

Edavy89
4 weeks ago#8
Dyshonest posted...
Well yeah, you were gambling.

You're pissing on people who dislike this form of gambling because in your generation, no one did anything about the equivalent?

Your logic: Why bother improving anything?

Gambling is defined as money being exchanged for an uncertain outcome.

You can find a convenient definition for just about anything these days.

gam·ble
ˈɡambəl/
verb
gerund or present participle: gambling

play games of chance for money; bet.

However one thing that doesn't randomly change, real gambling requires the ability to lose.

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
4 weeks ago#9
youngfossil posted...
pothocket posted...
Samurai_Man posted...
TomorrowDog posted...

This

It's sad that governments have to step in to stop these bad anti consumer practices.

I don't like the practices but i really don't think it's any governments business to be interfering with this stuff, the same as how I feel about normal gambling. If any person wants to spend their money on slots, dice, cards, sports-betting, or loot boxes - then that's their business. It's only a problem for people that it's a problem for and I don't want my tax money spent on or freedoms limited because those people have a problem.

User Info: Love_Me_Sexy

Love_Me_Sexy
4 weeks ago#10
sonicteam2k1 posted...
http://fortune.com/2017/11/15/star-wars-battlefront-gambling-disney-electronic-arts-loot-box-crate/

"The problem, specifically, is the loot box system, says the Belgian Gaming Commission, because players pay money for certain things, but they do not know what that money will actually buy. That is gambling, says the Belgian governmental body."

The plot thickens..........

It is techincally gambling if they do not show the odds/chances.

If they show those, it is not gambling and they are good to go. I still think any game with loot boxes should be rated 18A.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Star Wars Battlefront II, Disney and EA May Have a Gambling Problem

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived