This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Had to run RAM at a slightly lower frequency to stay stable, is this normal?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Had to run RAM at a slightly lower frequency to stay stable, is this normal?

User Info: Another_Voice

Another_Voice
3 weeks ago#1
All of my games were freezing and crashing, but only when XMP was enabled on RAM. I think the problem is solved, but I wanted some opinions on whether this is the best solution:

I got some DDR4-4000 because it was the fastest supported by my motherboard (MSI Z370 SLI Plus), but enabling XMP would cause instability and crashing during games and everything was fine with XMP disabled.

But then I was annoyed that I wasn't getting the full speed I paid for, so I tried to turn off XMP and manually set the timing, speed, voltage, etc. to match the numbers on the box/stickers. Ended up getting the same result as XMP, so I set the speed just below 4000 (3866 I think) and everything is fine again.

I'm totally fine with running at a slightly lower frequency than advertised, but does anyone know why a supported speed would cause that crashing and instability? Temps seem fine by the way, CPU is not overclocked and stays below 50C under load.

User Info: daemon_dan

daemon_dan
3 weeks ago#2
Is your CPU overclocked? Usually to have RAM at that high a speed, the CPU has to run a little higher too, or it just won't work
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."
~DevilDriver: I Could Care Less

User Info: Echo127

Echo127
3 weeks ago#3
That is not normal. You probably just got a bad RAM stick. If you want to try hit the advertised RAM speed, you *might* be able to get there by increasing the voltage a bit over what is advertised. But that's just me speculating.

That being said, the performance difference between 4000 and 3866 RAM speed is negligible.

Another_Voice
3 weeks ago#4
Not overclocked just yet, but I think I have some room to do that because the temps are pretty low stock. It's the 8700k coffee lake if that matters.

Another_Voice
3 weeks ago#5
That being said, the performance difference between 4000 and 3866 RAM speed is negligible.

Agreed, I'm not going to put anymore effort into trying to squeeze out 4000mhz, 3866 is faster than most DDR4 anyway. At this point it's more my own curiosity than anything else.

Someone else told me that any speed above 2133 and 2400 (I think also 2666 as well, not sure though) is never guaranteed because they are the "base" DDR4 speeds, and anything higher than that isn't a 100% certainty. It's possible with the binned/cherry picked memory chips they use, but that's a sales tactic, and you won't always be able to reach the speeds stated on the box.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
3 weeks ago#6
Try updating the BIOS, it specifically mentions memory compatibility
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Had to run RAM at a slightly lower frequency to stay stable, is this normal?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived