This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Secret of Mana New gameplay footage.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Secret of Mana New gameplay footage.

User Info: NoJobBob

NoJobBob
3 weeks ago#11
oh goodness it is actually on pc and ps4? my god this game looks so terrible. why do this to a classic

User Info: Sonorous_Jon1S8

Sonorous_Jon1S8
3 weeks ago#12
I love it when they take quality pixel art and turn it into ugly low poly 3d.

User Info: FlyinTonite

FlyinTonite
3 weeks ago#13
Looks like a cell phone game, good god is it ugly.
Life is tough, like real tough, like tough plus tough times tough to the power of tough.

User Info: tslu

tslu
3 weeks ago#14
looks ugly.. i played this game back on snes and liked it.zero interest in this mobile phone/3ds crap.

only way ill be interested if there is online coop and they change the spell system to something more modern.

User Info: farigonti

farigonti
3 weeks ago#15
Some games were just made to be expressed through sprites.

User Info: Galcian

Galcian
3 weeks ago#16
I'm kind of neutral. Certain things like magical spells or bosses could be made to look better but so far the sprites seem superior
This remake is taking a dump on that music. My goodness.
Brawl-FC-1203-8953-0974 (X40)
"Help!!! I'm being attacked by white transparent ninjas!" - pipeman

User Info: shadestreet

shadestreet
3 weeks ago#18
AtmosOmega posted...
Sadly, it looks like my suspicions are confirmed: It's a cynical cheap ass remake, just like all the other SNES classic remakes Squeenix has released in recent years.

Secret of Mana is probably one of the few Squaresoft classics that actually NEEDS an update, since it was released basically half-finished and rushed to market due to its unique development history. The fact it's as beloved as it is despite all of its objective deficits is a testament to the sheer power of the game's aesthetics and tone.

From the gameplay segment, it looks like Squeenix didn't bother fixing the extremely clunky smack-a-thon gameplay one bit, and that alone is just such an incredible waste of potential. Moreover, the animations actually look WORSE than the original sprites. There's a lot lost in the transition from 2D to 3D that needs to be made up for. (and it can be done; just look at the Zelda series for a how-to)

Only thing I took away is that the music sounds great, but I've heard gobs of amazing fan-remixes of the Seiken Densetsu soundtrack for years and years.

Thanks for linking this. Now I know better than to get my hopes up.

nominturddaddy posted...
Rosencroitz posted...
AtmosOmega posted...
From the gameplay segment, it looks like Squeenix didn't bother fixing the extremely clunky smack-a-thon gameplay one bit

...Except the fact that those of us who are actually fans enjoy the "clunky smack-a-thon gameplay".

Exactly, it's a stamina meter, lol.

The stamina meter wasn't the problem. The uselessness of the charge skills and the broken spammable magic system was the issue. Was hoping they would address that.

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
3 weeks ago#19
You call it "broken", I call it a hallmark of the game. Charge skills weren't useless. Magic is supposed to be OP. The only reason that ever got changed in games was to make it more accepting of multiple playstyles (as in, increase audience by appealing to more demographics and getting more sales), but in all serious fantasy lore, magic always trumped all, once the user got out of the early stages.
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/RVpcz3Z.png

User Info: shadestreet

shadestreet
3 weeks ago#20
nominturddaddy posted...
You call it "broken", I call it a hallmark of the game. Charge skills weren't useless. Magic is supposed to be OP. The only reason that ever got changed in games was to make it more accepting of multiple playstyles (as in, increase audience by appealing to more demographics and getting more sales), but in all serious fantasy lore, magic always trumped all, once the user got out of the early stages.

Charge skills are objectively useless. Your DPS is going to be higher with regular attack most of the time. When a boss is in a scripted out of reach position, you might as well charge an attack to deal a bit more damage, but other than that, they didn't add much to the gameplay.

Magic should be OP, but it stop-locking bosses was just broken. And damn, it is so tedious to grind magic in SoM. Even if you constantly use it you still have to spend hours outside an inn stop-locking a rabite or something to slowly level it if you want to see the (completely unnecessary but cool) final spell animations at some point.

I adore the game, but fixing these two gameplay issues would be nice. Not expecting a complete reimagining of the game as if they had all the ideas planned for SNES CD ROM, but simple adjustments like this would be welcome.

Regardless it will be a day 1 purchase, just as it was on the SNES, Wii VC, and iOS
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Secret of Mana New gameplay footage.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived