This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the Steam levelling system for again?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What is the Steam levelling system for again?

User Info: Mackorov

Mackorov
3 weeks ago#1
apart from making Valve tons of money, I never saw the point or glory in it. No, actually, the system is just outright stupid.

''Oh look, that guy is level 1000!''

Wow, what are we supposed to feel?

The fact that the guy owns over a 1000 games out of which he doesnt actually play 99% of them and spends the majority of his time instead spam trading cards and inventory items?
And of course it helps to be super rich so you can splash all your cash on these useless badges and make Valve very, very happy.

The only thing I see of steam levels is just showing how much of a pathetic person is in wasting and feeding money just to get some number higher and higher so they can somehow feel special or something.
How the hell are these high-level players getting praise for wasting money? Valve's system seems to promote more of a businessman mentality of collecting games, scamming and trading with other like-minded business individuals than a gamer mentality of having people actually play any games.

It would have been something if the steam levels were tied to achievements or hard-earned efforts from actually playing games . And of course, that's impossible since Valve doesnt care of SAM hackers or those playtime hack tools so you have millions of steam users boasting 100% so-called 'completed' games of 1000+ playtime hours alongside their amazingly high steam level.
Now they can be BOTH a businessman AND pretend to be an actual hardcore gamer! Amazing.

User Info: -CJF-

-CJF-
3 weeks ago#2
There are the profile showcases that unlock which are kinda nice, but beyond that I agree.

User Info: Mackorov

Mackorov
3 weeks ago#3
-CJF- posted...
There are the profile showcases that unlock which are kinda nice, but beyond that I agree.

I only got up to like, level 30. After that I realized the rest is pointless BS. It's just adding more friends, having more stuff to show on your profile and after a while, nothing else.

I have more respect for those level 0 players that actually play their games, complete games and LEGIT hard-earned achievements and just enjoy being a gamer.
It's sad they can't even be recognized at all with all the free Steam hack tools many others simply use to attain the same result. It's one reason why the Xbox LIVE and PlaystationN model truimphs over Steam so much more.

Who needs steam levels and badges for? People that need that superficial feeling of recognition and self-esteem boost or something? And unless you have a thousand friends, no one gives a s*** about your profile anyway.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
3 weeks ago#4
-CJF- posted...
There are the profile showcases that unlock

In addition, you get more friend slots.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: richisdisturbed

richisdisturbed
3 weeks ago#5
Only reason I levelled up my profile a bit, which I spent no money on, was to increase my odds of getting random card packs which I can then sell for free games, also increases your chances of a "foil" card, which can sell for dough.

Made about £50 since levelling up a bit, from doing nothing.

This is the only benefit for me, other than the extra profile showcases, but I only use 2 anyway!
Idiots voting for idiots.

User Info: Ivalice_VKP

Ivalice_VKP
3 weeks ago#6
I wish GOG Connect would allow me to transfer all of my games over because I'm really over Steam.
Currently Playing:
Waiting On: Shenmue III

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
3 weeks ago#7
richisdisturbed posted...
Only reason I levelled up my profile a bit, which I spent no money on, was to increase my odds of getting random card packs which I can then sell for free games, also increases your chances of a "foil" card, which can sell for dough.

Made about £50 since levelling up a bit, from doing nothing.

This is the only benefit for me, other than the extra profile showcases, but I only use 2 anyway!

I know literally nothing about any of what you just said.
Heck I didn't even know what my Steam level was until I just checked.Level 15. No idea what that even means or what it'll give me, if anything.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: Hexenherz

Hexenherz
3 weeks ago#8
The higher your level, the higher your chance of getting a booster pack for eligible games.
Also the higher you go the more friends you can add and the more display items you can have on your profile page but... yeah, otherwise kind of pointless.

The Steam level is based entirely on your badges, and badges are based 95% off of crafting them with the trading cards. The other 5% of badges you get for things like...
-Owning a lot of games.
-Being on Steam for multiple years.
-Participating in Steam seasonal / special event sales.
-Doing community tasks (for one of them).

If you don't care about the level you're better off just selling your cards for cash :\
i dont like signatures

User Info: threedown

threedown
3 weeks ago#9
I didn't even realize steam had a leveling system, I don't really pay attention to any of that. I usually just open it and click on whatever game I want to play.

User Info: Chaap

Chaap
3 weeks ago#10
had no idea it had a leveling system and still have no idea what the cards are for, if anything
"Some people are just dumb"
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What is the Steam levelling system for again?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived