This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the Steam levelling system for again?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What is the Steam levelling system for again?

User Info: TomorrowDog

TomorrowDog
2 months ago#11
It's the digital version of obsessive game collecting.

It's mostly just something for lonely 30 year olds and school dropouts to consume themselves with and feel like they are progressing in their life. Any time somebody scoffs at you because all you did was enjoy the game with "nothing to show for it", realize their life is all about slurping spaghettios and grinding achievements.
sub.bitballoon.com
Some browser games in various stages of completion.

User Info: dennis941012

dennis941012
2 months ago#12
TomorrowDog posted...

It's mostly just something for lonely 30 year olds and school dropouts to consume themselves with and feel like they are progressing in their life. Any time somebody scoffs at you because all you did was enjoy the game with "nothing to show for it", realize their life is all about slurping spaghettios and grinding achievements.

self projection eh?
3DS FC: 5214-9942-1912

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
2 months ago#13
TomorrowDog posted...
It's mostly just something for lonely 30 year olds and school dropouts to consume themselves with and feel like they are progressing in their life.

What does it mean if you're a lonely 30-something drop out who doesn't even do Steam levelling to progress in life? =(
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: TomorrowDog

TomorrowDog
2 months ago#14
dennis941012 posted...
TomorrowDog posted...

self projection eh?

I'm an EE major so my life is consumed but not by videogamery.
sub.bitballoon.com
Some browser games in various stages of completion.

User Info: Mute_Guardian7

Mute_Guardian7
2 months ago#15
vlado_e posted...
-CJF- posted...
There are the profile showcases that unlock

In addition, you get more friend slots.

These are the only real benefits. If you're a social butterfly, leveling up even a little bit will be worth it.
| Windows 10 | i5 4590 | GTX 950 | 8GB RAM |
https://imgur.com/DJtS67R https://imgur.com/Z3zs8Os http://imgur.com/vbFoT2F

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
2 months ago#16
It only exists because consoles have it. It’s there because it was a feature on XBox/PS4 so Steam adopted it. It started off on XBox as a “gamer score.” Supposedly a grand total score across all your games. Then Sony redefined the system and created the trophy/level system. Then Steam said, “we need that too!” So they worked Sony’s setup.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

User Info: arleas

arleas
2 months ago#17
Mackorov posted...
How the hell are these high-level players getting praise for wasting money?

You know, I don't think anyone has ever expressed praise or admiration for someone being a high steam level. All this salt from your direction just makes you look jealous. If you don't care about steam levels, great! But why all this whining about something you don't care about?

vlado_e posted...
-CJF- posted...
There are the profile showcases that unlock

In addition, you get more friend slots.

The thing is, you get 250 friend slots by default. Adding your facebook gives you 300.... now, I don't know about you, but I don't even know 150 people who I need to stay in contact with on steam much less 300...So leveling up for friend slots is only useful if you're a youtuber who likes to see 4000 friends all logged in and whatever. Really not even in that case since you could just as easily set up a Steam group for your channel and everyone can join Steam chat and participate that way.

I'm actually kinda upset that they limit the number of profile showcases... like I can have a "Rare Achievement" showcase, or a "select achievement showcase (where I pick which ones to show) but it won't let me have both? Ditto for badges. I can have rarest badges or "random badges" but not both.

Then they added that sticker book thing last summer as some kind of special showcase and then after a month they removed it. They really need to revamp the whole system. It's like they had some ideas and then after a handful of ideas were used they just lost interest.

Valve as a company is very AD/HD. It's a shame someone can't force them to take some adderall or something (as a company).
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
2 months ago#18
arleas posted...
I don't know about you, but I don't even know 150 people who I need to stay in contact with on steam much less 300

Oh, definitely not. I barely have 30 people in my list there. I was just adding to what was said - the tangible list of benefits is showcases and friend slots. You also get a higher drop count but it's quite random anyway, so I don't really class it as the same kind of feature.

arleas posted...
I'm actually kinda upset that they limit the number of profile showcases... like I can have a "Rare Achievement" showcase, or a "select achievement showcase (where I pick which ones to show) but it won't let me have both? Ditto for badges. I can have rarest badges or "random badges" but not both.

Eh, didn't even know that. My profile customisation begins and ends with a background and having selected a preferred badge to feature (that's not part of the showcases). The former I set because I found one I liked and never changed it the latter I chose because it kept changing with new badges, so I picked one.

Other than that, I have all showcases unlocked but I've never really used them. I dabbled with card trades when they came out and got some badges and even games out of it but then I got bored and stopped. The system is...there, I guess. If you're into it then you can use it but you can also avoid it without missing out on much. I feel fine with it being the way it is.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: Hexenherz

Hexenherz
2 months ago#19
And in this respect, despite my hatred of Uplay - the complex user interface/menus, the redundant DRM if you're launching the game through Steam, etc. - they actually have a very logical and rewarding system.
Buy a game, play it and do challenges and unlock achievements, and you get experience points to level up. And you can use the points to unlock in-game rewards or discounts on DLC/full games.
i dont like signatures

User Info: xpiritflare

xpiritflare
2 months ago#20
arleas posted...
The thing is, you get 250 friend slots by default. Adding your facebook gives you 300.... now, I don't know about you, but I don't even know 150 people who I need to stay in contact with on steam much less 300...So leveling up for friend slots is only useful if you're a youtuber who likes to see 4000 friends all logged in and whatever. Really not even in that case since you could just as easily set up a Steam group for your channel and everyone can join Steam chat and participate that way.

It's only the big youtubers/streamers that would need that size friendlist anyways, not the people who want to add them.
But yeah the steam group thing can work. Monotonetim has one set up for that reason as an example.
Yeah. "I'm going to turn back time an hour. It'll take about an hour." - AnnaBananaa
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What is the Steam levelling system for again?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived