This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the Steam levelling system for again?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What is the Steam levelling system for again?

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 weeks ago#21
Just as I say for achievements, it's a fun diversion that people can ignore if they wish.

User Info: OrgeLambart

OrgeLambart
3 weeks ago#22
It's pretty much so you can increase the amount of friends you can have on steam.. Also the higher your level the bigger % chance you have of getting a booster pack when someone completes a badge that you are capable of getting a booster for..

I'm level 250 and see maybe 1 or 2 booster packs a week..

BTW if you don't want your cards hit me up on steam and I can get you games for them :-D
Xboxlive - Orge Lambart , Steam ID - Orge Lambart, PSN - Orgelambart

User Info: Mackorov

Mackorov
3 weeks ago#23
ClunkerSlim posted...
It only exists because consoles have it. It’s there because it was a feature on XBox/PS4 so Steam adopted it. It started off on XBox as a “gamer score.” Supposedly a grand total score across all your games. Then Sony redefined the system and created the trophy/level system. Then Steam said, “we need that too!” So they worked Sony’s setup.

Except it's nothing like the consoles' system if you read my previous post. The Xbox/Playstation model is based on people actually playing the game and earning achievements/trophies. And since it's rare to be able to hack live achievements on consoles, it actually gets more people pumped up to earn achievements the legit and hard-earned way.
It's fair and rewarding and should be what a gaming model is about.

But here, Steam's model has really, nothing to do with gaming. Like, at all. It's practically just a businessman mindset that it encourages. Eg. how people buy stock not to own a cocmpany but for speculation. Same here. People buy games for the cards and stupid badges to keep/sell, not for actual playing.

Plus, there's no value to earning Steam achievements since Valve doesnt give a s*** about actual gaming and lets everyone hack everything on Steam except for their precious badges and cards.

User Info: Mackorov

Mackorov
3 weeks ago#24
So what you have are people who wastes money to get milked by Valve in chocking up Steam levels getting more respect and recognition than someone who actually plays his/her games without cheats to get their achievements.
Players like St4ck and PalmDesert? Are they even gamers? Or just some basement dwellers with tons of money to waste on collecting 4000+ games and never actually playing a single game in their life?

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 weeks ago#25
Mackorov posted...
So what you have are people who wastes money to get milked by Valve in chocking up Steam levels getting more respect and recognition than someone who actually plays his/her games without cheats to get their achievements.
Players like St4ck and PalmDesert? Are they even gamers? Or just some basement dwellers with tons of money to waste on collecting 4000+ games and never actually playing a single game in their life?

I'm not sure if you're just trolling. It's hard to tell with over-the-top stuff like this sometimes.

Achievements have nothing to do with the level regardless, nor do they have anything to do with the virtual cards (which is how most leveling happens).

User Info: thelocalhentai

thelocalhentai
3 weeks ago#26
Optional s*** for people that like that kind of thing? BONUS: Doesn't lock people out of stuff for people that don't want to do it.

The real question is: Why's your ass so chapped about what other people's levels are?
Voxwik posted...
Achievements have nothing to do with the level regardless
This. Which means TC doesn't know what he's talking about and is automatically flagged red for trolling.

User Info: Darkanagar

Darkanagar
3 weeks ago#27
Ivalice_VKP posted...
I wish GOG Connect would allow me to transfer all of my games over because I'm really over Steam.

This.

User Info: thatfool12Gs

thatfool12Gs
3 weeks ago#28
Chaap posted...
had no idea it had a leveling system and still have no idea what the cards are for, if anything

They are to make you small amounts of money to further discount your games.

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
3 weeks ago#29
Mackorov posted...
The Xbox/Playstation model is based on people actually playing the game and earning achievements/trophies. And since it's rare to be able to hack live achievements on consoles,

Yeah... it's not rare. I've yet to met many Level 30+ players who didn't "hack" the system. A s*** load of Sony profiles are fake as hell. Last time I checked, it wasn't even a ban-able offense. Sony just ignored them. A good way to check to see if a profile is legit is to look at the trophy time stamps for a game that you're familiar with. A fake profile will have trophies popping completely out of order. Like they'll get the trophy for finishing Chapter 5 before finishing Chapter 1.

Maybe Sony will finally crack down on fake trophy lists now that they're offering money for trophies (I think 10 Plats gets you $10 or something.)
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 weeks ago#30
Mackorov posted...
Steam levels getting more respect and recognition than someone who actually plays his/her games

😁

Man are you salty.

The closest you get to more respect or recognition because of steam level is being at the top of the friend list displayed on your profile.

Is that what you are upset about?
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What is the Steam levelling system for again?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived