This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the Steam levelling system for again?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What is the Steam levelling system for again?

User Info: WalkingPlague

WalkingPlague
3 weeks ago#41
Seeing people with levels beyond what I'll ever reach is ridiculous.
Currently playing: Escape From Tarkov (EOD)
Coming Soon: Monster Hunter World (PC) | Street Fighter V: AE (PC)

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 weeks ago#42
Mackorov posted...
Who needs steam levels and badges for? People that need that superficial feeling of recognition and self-esteem boost or something? And unless you have a thousand friends, no one gives a s*** about your profile anyway.

Same deal with people "friending" people on Facebook etc. when they are passing acquaintances at best. People love getting attention for meaningless s***. That being said, the tone of your post seems a little obsessive, almost as if you have a Steam Inferiority Complex or something - yes, it's sad, but who cares? Buy/enjoy your games and stop worrying about how other users spend their time on the service.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

JKatarn
3 weeks ago#43
Dragon Nexus posted...
What does it mean if you're a lonely 30-something drop out who doesn't even do Steam levelling to progress in life? =(

You still have some grounding in the real world/don't rely on virtual status/"achievements" for self-validation?
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

JKatarn
3 weeks ago#44
Mackorov posted...
Except it's nothing like the consoles' system if you read my previous post. The Xbox/Playstation model is based on people actually playing the game and earning achievements/trophies. And since it's rare to be able to hack live achievements on consoles, it actually gets more people pumped up to earn achievements the legit and hard-earned way.
It's fair and rewarding and should be what a gaming model is about.

And people don't buy cheap and or easy games to farm them for achievements to add to their "gamerscore"? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of frivolous "achievements", "gamerscores" etc. but let's not pretend it's a Steam-only problem. And regardless, it's easy enough to just ignore all that crap and enjoy your games.

JKatarn
3 weeks ago#45
Voxwik posted...
Yeah, though of course the TC thinking achievements rewarded levels deflated the entire troll attempt.

Yeah, pretty sure TC was trolling as he seems to have vanished from this thread.

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
3 weeks ago#46
The only time Steam levels come up anywhere, is when people with low Steam levels make sarcastic comments , bashing people who have higher Steam levels than they do.

And then they claim that the people with higher Steam levels are looking for "recognition", even though THEY are the ones that are making the comments, and creating the topics.

It's a dizzying level of irony, projection, and hypocrisy rolled into 1
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060 / Thermaltake NiC C5

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
3 weeks ago#47
arleas posted...
So basically you just wait for a steam sale, dump all your cash into the steam wallet, go nuts buying sale badge cards and level up like crazy. Since everyone is trying to dump their steam sale cards at once the card prices always seem to hover around 6-8ยข each and so it's much cheaper than the vast majority of the badges and you don't have to fiddle with 1000 different games worth of badges to get your levels.

A note - if you're going to do this, wait for a few days before buying the cards. The cards start off expensive but when everybody starts dumping cards and you get more and more cards as the sale progresses, the price starts to plummet quickly.

Also, if somebody really feels like trying to gain money, they can do sort of the opposite: buy cheap cards before a sale and wait for it to start then craft the badges. Badges made during the sale grant sale cards and if you sell them early you might be able to recoup your losses and make something extra. Well, in theory, at least - I haven't really tried it but I have seen sale cards being sold for decent prices in the beginning, so you might need to be quite fast.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: Hagan

Hagan
3 weeks ago#48
I've been on steam since 2011 and my account level is 4. GOML
BNET = Mike#1931
Steam = mhagan1986

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
3 weeks ago#49
Hagan posted...

You should be at least level 10 from randomly clicking stuff during the sales, and the xp you get every year just from belonging to Steam. None of that even costs anything.
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060 / Thermaltake NiC C5

User Info: Hagan

Hagan
3 weeks ago#50
Born Lucky posted...
Hagan posted...

You should be at least level 10 from randomly clicking stuff during the sales, and the xp you get every year just from belonging to Steam. None of that even costs anything.

Hmm not sure why, I guess I'll check but I don't really care either. Thanks for the info though.
BNET = Mike#1931
Steam = mhagan1986
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What is the Steam levelling system for again?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived