This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I just bricked my motherboard didn't I? ;_;

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I just bricked my motherboard didn't I? ;_;

User Info: Another_Voice

Another_Voice
3 weeks ago#1
Attempted to flash BIOS, computer seemed to be running the update just fine, and it restarted and just stayed at a black screen. Now I've got no POST, everything powers on but just no output. I tried to reset the CMOS with a jumper but getting the same result. Also tried to take out the GPU and use the monitor output from the board. Luckily it's new so I can RMA.

Anything else I can try before I get everything boxed back up? Board is MSI Z370 SLI Plus.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
3 weeks ago#2
You can try following MSI's instructions for BIOS recovery
https://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/support/techfaqdetail.aspx?formid=3046

Did you flash the BIOS using M-Flash or their Live update tool? It's always recommended not to flash within Windows. It's also recommended to always restore to the default settings before flashing.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: Dirk85UK

Dirk85UK
3 weeks ago#3
Why did you need to update the BIOS in the first place? Only ever update your BIOS if you have to. As for the mobo, I just checked MSI's website and there doesn't seem to be a BIOS recovery/flashback option for your mobo. When you RMA it, it's best to get another mobo that has a flashback/recovery feature, so if it bricks, you can revert back to the previous BIOS version.

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
3 weeks ago#4
Ya you bricked it also if there was nothing wrong or there were no MAIJOR setting changes never do a BIOS update.
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: Another_Voice

Another_Voice
3 weeks ago#5
Yeah, lesson learned, I only tried to flash it because it listed better RAM compatibility and I had been messing around with the speed/frequency on my memory so I figured it was worth a shot.

Thanks to the user who suggested the MSI recovery USB, but I just can't get it to show those options, it's like it doesn't read/detect the drive. I disconnected all SATA drives and tried on multiple USB ports on the back.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
3 weeks ago#6
Did you make your USB stick FAT32? For how long have you waited for a picture to show, both directly after the update and when trying the recovery USB?

mucloud posted...
Ya you bricked it also if there was nothing wrong or there were no MAIJOR setting changes never do a BIOS update.

It's still under warranty so a failure wasn't vital for him.

YMMV, but I've never had a BIOS update brick my motherboards, not even those times I've had to do it using the Live update tool. That's so far back as LGA 775 and AM2+ motherboards. I don't get how so many can end up being so unlucky and bricking their motherboards.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
3 weeks ago#7
It's one of the weird things about computers, you're told all the time to keep them up to date with patches and drivers and firmware and stuff, but the only thing this doesn't apply to is the BIOS.

Unless there's listed some critical feature you need (not want), then you never have to do it. Like, for example, you cannot use a CPU to its fullest unless you're running a certain BIOS version, then get it. If your computer runs fine without it, you need never do it ever.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
3 weeks ago#8
bios updates are fine don't be scared to do them.

love that we have all of these PCH users that are scared to do simple bios or driver updates because they're that damn paranoid.
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
3 weeks ago#9
Killah Priest posted...
bios updates are fine don't be scared to do them.

love that we have all of these PCH users that are scared to do simple bios or driver updates because they're that damn paranoid.

Not saying there's anything *wrong* with doing it, just that its unnecessary.
Doesn't benefit you unless the list of things the new BIOS update brings include things you need to get the most out of your computer. If you don't need any of that stuff, just leave it how it is.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
3 weeks ago#10
don't ever buy a mobo using a brand new chipset then because it always takes a few bios updates before they get it right...

I'm currently on my 14th bios update on this board, every single one improved system stability just like it said it did.
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I just bricked my motherboard didn't I? ;_;

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived