This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Most unoptimized PC game: Ark or Microsoft FSX?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Most unoptimized PC game: Ark or Microsoft FSX?

User Info: Jason_25

Jason_25
3 weeks ago#1
This is the battle for the slowest running PC game.

When Ark was released, my 8GB RAM and 3 Ghz hexacore CPU was no match. I had to upgrade to 16GB and it was still awesomely slow. It was shocking how slow it ran.

With Microsoft FSX, (Prepar3d in this case), I am still unable to get more than 25 FPS with a 6700k and 390X running wide open when using a helicopter/VTOL in cities. I dare say that a computer from the year 2100 will not be able to run FSX at max settings. It will take a Matrioshka Brain orbiting close to the sun to accomplish 60 FPS.

Are there any other (mainstream) PC games this poorly programmed?

User Info: learjet777

learjet777
3 weeks ago#2
I don't think FSX is unoptimized.

I think its the sheer amount of add on's you can run with FSX which make it seem unoptimized.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 weeks ago#3
People need to stop using the word "optimized" as a synonym for how well a program runs on their hardware. Software can be extremely optimized and still eat every last resource you throw at it and still be hungry for more. The two are not mutually exclusive.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: Jason_25

Jason_25
3 weeks ago#4
Orestes417 posted...
People need to stop using the word "optimized" as a synonym for how well a program runs on their hardware. Software can be extremely optimized and still eat every last resource you throw at it and still be hungry for more. The two are not mutually exclusive.

That is objectively true. But subjectively some games just look bad and play bad. I don't care if FSX renders the entire world because the world it renders is very ugly and unrealistic. Seriously what is FSX doing with those PS1 city graphics running so slow? Arma 3 is a good example of a game that is optimized well and looks good but ultimately is very hard on systems.

As far as FSX not being optimized, the developers have admitted to as much because they made and continued to make decisions in the FS2004 way optimizing for single core CPU performance for example. I also do not think they could have just clicked a button and optimized for multicore because their entire engine was made for primarily single threaded operations.

I am a little surprised there are not any other examples of unoptimized games but ultimately that is a good thing. Rejoice that games are mostly made to work these days instead of being built for "future computers".

User Info: UnderwaterAir

UnderwaterAir
3 weeks ago#5
Vindictus.
I'll bet you 100 bucks your system can't host a full party at Pantheum and not dip under 60fps.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Most unoptimized PC game: Ark or Microsoft FSX?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived