This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dropped my laptop and now the screen is messed up.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Dropped my laptop and now the screen is messed up.

User Info: TheWorId

TheWorId
3 weeks ago#1
I dopped my laptop recently. However, the screen didn't get hit. I caught it before the whole thing hit the ground. It wasn't closed. Anyway, it now looks like this.

https://i.imgur.com/S7ySBHQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CCG266w.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DTYKYuB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nS9ic5P.jpg

What are my best options? Should I send it to the manufacturer? It's not under warranty, but that doesn't matter as they don't repair stuff like that for free even if it was under warranty. I don't know anybody who's good with computers to fix this. And... by the way, even as I type this, the screen is changing color. Going from blue to pink to green to a mix. Anyway, I would just like to know what is the best option, financially. And if this is even repairable.

Lastly, is it bad for my eyes to keep looking at the screen?

Thanks, everyone.
"And we will be the best guests you ever had."
I have a new master. His name is Shulk.
(message deleted)

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
3 weeks ago#3
First off, that's definitely a repair job. I'd backup your important files before sending it anywhere, I'm always nervy of people saying "We formatted it just to be sure" or "We formatted it because we found a thing and overreacted."

Second of all, no it's not bad for your eyes, that's a long run myth. Probably stemming from the old "If you sit too close to the TV" thing, which mixes correlation and causation. Most likely the kid already had bad eyesight and sat closer to the TV so it wasn't blurry...
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: DAP1MP13

DAP1MP13
3 weeks ago#4
The liquid in the LCD is leaking.
NYC. The City never sleeps, it's full of villains and creeps, it's where I learned to do my hustle, had to scuffle with freaks.
PSN/XBL/Steam: DAP1MP13

User Info: d209999

d209999
3 weeks ago#5
What's the make and model of the laptop? I've replaced a number of LCD panels in laptops, and it's sometimes deceptively easy to get to the panel. Other times, it makes you long for death.
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." - Theodore Roosevelt

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
3 weeks ago#6
If you grabbed it by the screen you crushed it.
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: ablerider

ablerider
3 weeks ago#7
Dragon Nexus posted...
First off, that's definitely a repair job. I'd backup your important files before sending it anywhere, I'm always nervy of people saying "We formatted it just to be sure" or "We formatted it because we found a thing and overreacted."

Second of all, no it's not bad for your eyes, that's a long run myth. Probably stemming from the old "If you sit too close to the TV" thing, which mixes correlation and causation. Most likely the kid already had bad eyesight and sat closer to the TV so it wasn't blurry...

This and l definitely emphasize the backup part, mine broke earlier this year and when it came back all my stuff was gone and they (HP) did a terrible OS install so l had to do it again.

It shouldn't be that expensive, l think l paid $200 or so for a full screen replacement and the shipping was free.

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 weeks ago#8
Almost looks like the ribbon cable to the monitor is ripped. Try squeezing around the bottom of the screen and the top of the keyboard. If the screen changes in any way, your probably rubbing the broken cable.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: gundamaniacx20a

gundamaniacx20a
3 weeks ago#9
SinisterSlay posted...
Almost looks like the ribbon cable to the monitor is ripped. Try squeezing around the bottom of the screen and the top of the keyboard. If the screen changes in any way, your probably rubbing the broken cable.

Could also just be loose.
PSN: RX--Zero
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/167749/

User Info: Jason_25

Jason_25
3 weeks ago#10
Someone already pointed it out but you should try to reseat the ribbon cable. Really these ribbon cables can be loose on brand new screens. I have had it happen. These laptop manufacturers are in a race to make the thinnest most fragile design. You don't have much to lose now by trying.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Dropped my laptop and now the screen is messed up.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived