This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How to stop windows 10 from updating nVidia Drivers?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How to stop windows 10 from updating nVidia Drivers?

User Info: -5xad0w-

-5xad0w-
3 weeks ago#11
The only time I've had Win 10 download Nvidia drivers is after a fresh install. Including even if I had already installed the current drivers. It would download drivers from a few versions back regardless.

After that though I can just download and install drivers with no issue. It never tries to download anything else.
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
3 weeks ago#12
Hmm . . . Windows 10 doesn't update my nvidia drivers.

I always have to do that myself.
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060 / Thermaltake NiC C5

User Info: rx54

rx54
3 weeks ago#13
DDU edits a registry setting that should do it if you click its button, you can google to see exactly what it edits
Click here for a dopamine release ---> https://youtu.be/It4WxQ6dnn0

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 weeks ago#14
It's extremely annoying. Ark runs invisibly in the background with the music playing with no taskbar icon or window with the latest nVidia drivers on my machine. Its automatic upgrade to the fall creators build was also foiled due to nVidia driver problems.

That said, Windows has not (yet) tried to screw it up again. I'm not sure whether MS or nVidia is to blame for the situation.

User Info: Lilrosco

Lilrosco
3 weeks ago#15
Born Lucky posted...
Hmm . . . Windows 10 doesn't update my nvidia drivers.
I always have to do that myself.

I think it only updates if your driver version number is less than what is expected for the current windows build version. I am guessing build 1703 wants '388.13'.
There is no better way to defeat your enemies but to slice and dice em right Link?...oopz forgot you can't speak. Well I guess a simple head nod is sufficed.

Lilrosco
3 weeks ago#16
rx54 posted...
DDU edits a registry setting that should do it if you click its button, you can google to see exactly what it edits

Oooooo right that is true, if it happens again I'll look into that.
There is no better way to defeat your enemies but to slice and dice em right Link?...oopz forgot you can't speak. Well I guess a simple head nod is sufficed.

Lilrosco
3 weeks ago#17
Marikhen posted...
Lilrosco posted...
I'll report back here if I end up back on square one.

You'll be back to square one in about 30 days based on my experiences, if you don't disable driver or all updates first. You pretty much have to forgo things like system updates, plug and play component driver updates, and so on if you don't want to fight tooth and nail with Windows to keep older drivers around...

Darn, fingers crossed it doesn't happen after the 30 day mark.
(message deleted)

User Info: 2DJunky

2DJunky
3 weeks ago#19
I've been using a "custom/stripped" Win10-x64 with necessary updates already pre-installed and unnecessary stuff cut out (did the same thing with Win7 and 8.1 for years too!) Every time I install a fresh Windows be that my Laptop or Desktop...the first thing I do is permanently disable Windows Updates and Windows Defender Services (like I have need for that useless trash polluting my PC and taking up disk space). All the necessary drivers/redists I install manually. And doing this way I never had/have a problem, I don't get those people who rely on Microsoft and their auto updates BS etc...(Hell I haven't even used any Antivirus for years now also another topic of useless crap).
Dell Inspiron 15 5566 (15.6") / i3-7100U / 6GB RAM / 120GB SSD

User Info: Elephant Rider

Elephant Rider
3 weeks ago#20
Marikhen posted...
Elephant Rider posted...
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

If you download the "Show or Hide Updates" troubleshooter package, you can select updates and make Windows not show them. It works for quite a few different drivers that you probably don't want Windows to auto update. Been using it since day one.

Down side to that is that it doesn't work proactively. You can only use it after the initial installation. :-/

Well, either that or the software randomly breaks and starts refusing to do its job as evidenced by its not working to hide an incoming driver update.

Yeah it really is not proactive. But after you set it once, it won't tell you about those updates again. Surprisingly I've never had it break. Also I used a registry edit in Group Policy to set it to not to automatically update. It just tells me when they're available, so it never downloads any updates until I tell it to. When I see something like that pop up, I go and hide it and it never shows it to me again. Apparently the group policy edit is only available in Windows 10 Pro though.
little grey men are coming our way
tastes just like chicken they say
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How to stop windows 10 from updating nVidia Drivers?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived