This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How to stop windows 10 from updating nVidia Drivers?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How to stop windows 10 from updating nVidia Drivers?

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
3 weeks ago#21
Elephant Rider posted...
But after you set it once, it won't tell you about those updates again.

Those updates have to be uninstalled first, however. It won't do a dang thing for updates that haven't been installed. I spent half a week trying half a dozen times every other day or so to hide a pending driver update to no avail.

If it's not supposed to (not) work like that then that's why I'm saying it's broken, or at least that was the case with the program, from Microsoft which was supposed to do exactly what the one linked to in this topic was supposed to do, I used last year around May when I gave Windows 10 a 30 day trial.

If you've had better experiences then I'm... Well, I'm neutral for you. I can't really say I'd be happy because that'd probably come off as sarcastic, and I've never been one to enjoy others having something work when it's broken for me, but I'm not displeased that it would work properly for someone else either. :-/

Elephant Rider posted...
When I see something like that pop up, I go and hide it and it never shows it to me again. Apparently the group policy edit is only available in Windows 10 Pro though.

Yeah, I was using Windows 10 Home on my desktop and Enterprise on my laptop which might explain some of the issues I had. At the same time, however, I don't see that there should be such a drastic, and for me significant, difference in core OS functionality between versions like that.

I later got a Pro key assigned to my motherboard as well, but I only did that as an "I'm wiping Windows 10 anyway so I might as well get a free Pro key before the grace period expires" thing. Frankly, however, I'm tempted to roll up the black flag and use Enterprise rather than Pro if Microsoft's engaging in such f***ery between versions.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 weeks ago#22
I'm wondering if this is just something in Windows 10 Home, because I'm using Pro on this machine and I've NEVER had Windows 10 automatically update any of my drivers, including GPU.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: Lilrosco

Lilrosco
3 weeks ago#23
JKatarn posted...
I'm wondering if this is just something in Windows 10 Home, because I'm using Pro on this machine and I've NEVER had Windows 10 automatically update any of my drivers, including GPU.

Hmmm that might be the case, the only driver that I know that gets updated on my end is the nVidia one.
There is no better way to defeat your enemies but to slice and dice em right Link?...oopz forgot you can't speak. Well I guess a simple head nod is sufficed.

User Info: Rexdragon125

Rexdragon125
3 weeks ago#24
Microsoft just helpfully updated my graphics driver during a game and made it crash. Best OS ever!
(message deleted)

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
3 weeks ago#26
JKatarn posted...

I have Home on a couple of PCs and I've never had Windows 10 mess with any drivers, except from those it uses initially after a clean install.
I don't always install the latest drivers but I do tend not to run drivers older than six months. Each time Windows gets one of those platform updates, I install the official driver for it.

Only exception is my laptop, that one can get really annoying with drivers, whether it's Windows or manually from AMD.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: Rhyten

Rhyten
3 weeks ago#27
The latest drivers (not 388.13, a newer version came out recently) fixed the frametime issues for me. Try them out, windows will also stop bothering you about that version if they work out.
Corsair RM750i | Asrock Z270 Killer SLI | i7 7700k 4.2Ghz | Zotac GTX 1080ti Amp edition 11264MB | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2x8 GB DDR4 3000 Mhz | Acer Predator XB241H

User Info: Aceallways

Aceallways
3 weeks ago#28
This thread makes me happy I am still using Win 7.

User Info: Lilrosco

Lilrosco
3 weeks ago#29
Rhyten posted...
Acer Predator XB241H

Ah kool, I appreciate the info. I did some digging and I did see a patch note that said they fixed the micro-stuttering when using GPU monitoring tools. I've actually have not experience this issue yet since before I decided to update from a previous driver I looked into what new issues came with 388.13 and saw someone pointed that out. So I would take your advice and update but I did come across this

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/7dtkvj/38831_whql_driver_performance_benchmark/

and it seems that I might be better off still using 385.69
There is no better way to defeat your enemies but to slice and dice em right Link?...oopz forgot you can't speak. Well I guess a simple head nod is sufficed.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How to stop windows 10 from updating nVidia Drivers?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived