This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I5 7400 and a 1060 3GB?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I5 7400 and a 1060 3GB?

User Info: ibarney5

ibarney5
4 weeks ago#1
Is this a worthwhile upgrade over my wives current PC?
Athlon II X4 3.2 GHZ
Gigabyte 270x

User Info: m0986-8

m0986-8
4 weeks ago#2
If possible go for the 6gb version
7700K 4.5GHZ | GTX 1070 | 16 GB RAM 3000MHZ | Samsung Evo 500GB | Asus Z170 A-R

User Info: Cards_and_Hats

Cards_and_Hats
4 weeks ago#3
well coffee lake is out so I would just grab the i5 8400, it needs the brand new motherboards though

I would at least upgrade to the 6gb version of the 1060

ibarney5
4 weeks ago#4
I would prefer those too, but this is the Walmart Black Friday HP special for $500. We don't have a ton of money, but wanted to upgrade her PC for Christmas. It seems like the cheapest/easiest way to go about it considering the current PC hardware market.

User Info: pyromania86

pyromania86
4 weeks ago#5
I would never purchase an HP. That's just me. Save a dollar today and lose the computer a year from now.. their reliability is the worst of the bunch. You can do better for $500.
i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz | CRYORIG H7 | XFX GTR RX-480 8GB | 16GB DDR4 @ 3200 | MSI Z270 | SSD x2 | SSHD 2TB
http://gamercards.exophase.com/128564.png

User Info: Cards_and_Hats

Cards_and_Hats
4 weeks ago#6
ibarney5 posted...
I would prefer those too, but this is the Walmart Black Friday HP special for $500. We don't have a ton of money, but wanted to upgrade her PC for Christmas. It seems like the cheapest/easiest way to go about it considering the current PC hardware market.

well for 500 dollars that is pretty good considering the 1060 by itself is $200+

I just looked it up and it only has 8gb of memory, plus being a prebuilt it is guaranteed to have a s***ty power supply so it will have to be replaced eventually

I would never recommend a prebuilt but for 500 bucks it is a perfectly fine option for 1080p gaming

ibarney5
4 weeks ago#7
pyromania86 posted...
I would never purchase an HP. That's just me. Save a dollar today and lose the computer a year from now.. their reliability is the worst of the bunch. You can do better for $500.

Funny you should say that. Her old PC, the one I am replacing is an 8 year old HP Pavilion. Original except for PSU and the 270x. Still going strong as of now. Luck of the draw and decent maintenance I guess. So I've personally had a good experience with HP so far. That's not to say this next one will be the same way, but like I said, luck of the draw. Anyways, I was thinking the same thing. Be hard to build that PC for cheaper than that. On paper it looks like a good upgrade, but real world, will she see a huge difference. I do plan on putting a SSD boot drive in it when I find a decent deal on a 120GB drive so that right there will be a big change eventually.

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
4 weeks ago#8
ibarney5 posted...
pyromania86 posted...

Funny you should say that. Her old PC, the one I am replacing is an 8 year old HP Pavilion. Original except for PSU and the 270x. Still going strong as of now. Luck of the draw and decent maintenance I guess. So I've personally had a good experience with HP so far. That's not to say this next one will be the same way, but like I said, luck of the draw. Anyways, I was thinking the same thing. Be hard to build that PC for cheaper than that. On paper it looks like a good upgrade, but real world, will she see a huge difference. I do plan on putting a SSD boot drive in it when I find a decent deal on a 120GB drive so that right there will be a big change eventually.

I gotta agree with pyromania86 on this one, I'm definitely not a fan of HP. Here's my experiences:

Had a HP 486 back in the mid '90's, things were fine until it blew the power supply and took the mobo with it.

A friend had a HP Pavillion Athelon 64 laptop from around 2005ish. The RAM went bad, and somehow the bios also borked at the same time.

Honestly, no idea if they were related, or just same time kind of thing, but I managed to reflash the bios which got it operational enough to find out the RAM was bad.

He had already bought a new machine, and didn't feel like buying more RAM. I was using an ancient Pent IV at the time, so he gifted the Pavillion to me.

I was honestly glad to have it, so replaced the 2GB of RAM, and fresh installed Windows XP.

Right off the bat, the DVD-RW drive was wonky, and would only read some discs some of the time, and others never.

My friend stated it had always been iffy from the start, and after doing a bit of research, it turns out HP went with an early version of a drive (can't recall the drive manufacturer) that didn't precisely work correctly for anyone to begin with.

The last nail in the coffin, I used the Pavillion from 2013ish, until March of this year. The mobo ended up frying in some fatal way that started with the batteries not being able to be charged while the machine was on.

After a month or so, it eventually died to the point it wouldn't charge at all, whether on, or not.

tl;dr: Both HP's I've owned had something go really bad with them, and the last one developed a whopping four major things go wrong. Stay away from HP man, they really seem to use substandard components.
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD / EVGA 600W ATX / Windows 10 Home 64 bit
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I5 7400 and a 1060 3GB?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived