This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the point of the X series of ryzen CPUs supposed to be

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What is the point of the X series of ryzen CPUs supposed to be

User Info: Shuriko

Shuriko
4 weeks ago#1
All of them are unlocked anyways right

so why would you buy a 1600x for example when you could pay less for a 1600 and just set it to the same clock rate

like what's going on there
https://i.imgur.com/UE8OU.png

User Info: betatech

betatech
4 weeks ago#2
Some people may prefer a factory overclock.

Apparently the 1600x may be capable of higher OC as well, but that may be chip dependant:
https://www.techspot.com/article/1381-ryzen-1600x-vs-1600/
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080ti, CM 690 II. Win 10/Win8.1 x64.

User Info: Silvererazor

Silvererazor
4 weeks ago#3
The X-models are:
1. Better binned, so they can achieve higher OC at lower volts. So more power and lower temps.
2. Have XFR enabled.
3. Have higher out of the box clocks

Though I have to say, that the 1st point is not true for all chips. I've seen x-chips, which clock lower than non-x-chips.

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
4 weeks ago#4
Higher 'out of the box' clocks.
Ryzen 1600X | MSI B350 'Tomahawk' | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-Sync (1ms G2G)
Switch

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
4 weeks ago#5
It's funny that its ok to intentionally gimp hardware but, "god damnit, i better be able to play vader at launch!"

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
4 weeks ago#6
BearShrooms posted...
It's funny that its ok to intentionally gimp hardware but, "god damnit, i better be able to play vader at launch!"

It's called binning. All chips aren't made equal due to the manufacturing process. e.g. chips around the edge of a wafer may not be as good as the center. Rather than throw these away before they didn't pass the 1800X tests, they disable the slowest cores or clock them down and sell them as a lesser version. i.e. the 1700X, 1700, 1600X or 1600 for example.

They'd sell them all as high end if they could of course.
Ryzen 1600X | MSI B350 'Tomahawk' | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-Sync (1ms G2G)
Switch

User Info: randomoaf

randomoaf
4 weeks ago#7
Most people are still stuck with the Intel illusion in that these set of chips are locked and those set of chips are unlocked. AMD rolls around and unlocks everything. So you see, the illusion is that the company set an arbitrary lock. What's left over is the quality of the chip itself.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
3 weeks ago#8
randomoaf posted...
Most people are still stuck with the Intel illusion in that these set of chips are locked and those set of chips are unlocked. AMD rolls around and unlocks everything. So you see, the illusion is that the company set an arbitrary lock. What's left over is the quality of the chip itself.

So AMD's X and non X's are not the same as intel's?
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What is the point of the X series of ryzen CPUs supposed to be

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived