This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Building a new PC (i3 8350K, adding a GPU later). I could use some advice

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Building a new PC (i3 8350K, adding a GPU later). I could use some advice

User Info: GoldenSun3DS

GoldenSun3DS
4 weeks ago#1
Are there any issues with this part list I might not be aware of? Particularly the case and motherboard.

I chose this CPU because I only care about the IPC, so it's just as good as the i7 8700 for 1-4 thread tasks and it can be overclocked to match its clockspeed.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tQCRQV

I plan on adding a GPU next year with tax refund and getting a 5K monitor.

I removed the PSU and HDD from the part list because I'm going to buy those on sale from Newegg and PCPartPicker won't let you add custom parts right now.

https://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/17-7446/#p=7

$11.99 EVGA 450W PSU ($10 rebate factored in)
https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA65C6JD4657

5TB HDD $119.99 (promo code BF17FLYER26)
https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16822149628
GPD Win PC handheld: Intel Atom X7 Z8700 @2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64GB storage, 6700mAh battery, 1280x720 resolution
"Why? Because of... DESTINY? PAH ha ha
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
4 weeks ago#2
Buying a 4-core/ 4 thread CPU now isn't a smart move.
Ryzen 1600X | MSI B350 'Tomahawk' | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-Sync (1ms G2G)
Switch

User Info: SaiDucc

SaiDucc
4 weeks ago#3
Hold on, you plan to do some intensive things with this CPU? it's an i3......I don't know how much resources 5K uses but you're really restricting it's longevity. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Add me on STEAM/ Battle/ Uplay - SaiDucc

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 weeks ago#4
SaiDucc posted...
Hold on, you plan to do some intensive things with this CPU? it's an i3......I don't know how much resources 5K uses but you're really restricting it's longevity. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes this is true take that i3 back and either get a higher end i5 or a lower end i7 your really limiting your cpu with a i3.
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

GoldenSun3DS
4 weeks ago#5
mucloud posted...
SaiDucc posted...

Yes this is true take that i3 back and either get a higher end i5 or a lower end i7 your really limiting your cpu with a i3.

As far as I'm aware, resolution has nothing to do with the CPU. Increasing resolution increases load on the GPU, but not the CPU (unless you aim for high FPS).

I don't really care about the multithread capability because my main use will be heavily single threaded. I can always upgrade if the 4 cores becomes an issue.

Besides, I'm looking for budget parts right now and I was going to go with a Ryzen 5 1500X. The i3 8350K is about as good as the i7 7700 in terms of single thread score if I overclock it. And it has integrated graphics so I can go without a graphics card for awhile.
GPD Win PC handheld: Intel Atom X7 Z8700 @2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64GB storage, 6700mAh battery, 1280x720 resolution

BrokenMachine85
4 weeks ago#6
GoldenSun3DS posted...
mucloud posted...
SaiDucc posted...

As far as I'm aware, resolution has nothing to do with the CPU. Increasing resolution increases load on the GPU, but not the CPU (unless you aim for high FPS).

I don't really care about the multithread capability because my main use will be heavily single threaded. I can always upgrade if the 4 cores becomes an issue.

Besides, I'm looking for budget parts right now and I was going to go with a Ryzen 5 1500X. The i3 8350K is about as good as the i7 7700 in terms of single thread score if I overclock it. And it has integrated graphics so I can go without a graphics card for awhile.

Sounds like you already known what you want.
Ryzen 1600X | MSI B350 'Tomahawk' | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-Sync (1ms G2G)
Switch

GoldenSun3DS
4 weeks ago#7
BrokenMachine85 posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
mucloud posted...
SaiDucc posted...

Sounds like you already known what you want.

Yeah, with the CPU. I just don't know anything about case and motherboard compatibilities.

Is the motherboard that I selected able to overclock?

BrokenMachine85
4 weeks ago#8
Yup, Z370 mobo's are overclock mobo's, hence the price.
Switch

GoldenSun3DS
4 weeks ago#9
Will it be possible to upgrade to a 9000 series processor (when those are released) from this motherboard?

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
4 weeks ago#10
GoldenSun3DS posted...
I plan on adding a GPU next year with tax refund and getting a 5K monitor.

Um... you don’t see many people mixing a 5K monitor and high end GPU with an i3 and cheap $25 case. That’s your biggest problem. Your build isn’t balanced.

Maybe you should wait until you get your tax refund before you start this. Then you can put together a more balanced system. Do you even need a 5K monitor? I mean, there’s probably nothing wrong with that case for a budget build. Sure the cable management sucks, it’s probably going to cut up your hands, and it’s going to suck dust in. But in a budget build you do what you have to.

But pairing that with a 5K monitor and a GTX1080 or whatever your going to buy to push that monitor? Your parts aren’t balanced. There’s nothing wrong with being on a budget. But you can’t dump all your money in one part and neglect the rest. Maybe you need to walk back from that 5K monitor, wait till you’ve got all your money together, and put together a balanced 1440p build?
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim
(edited 4 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Building a new PC (i3 8350K, adding a GPU later). I could use some advice

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.