This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Building a new PC (i3 8350K, adding a GPU later). I could use some advice

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Building a new PC (i3 8350K, adding a GPU later). I could use some advice
GoldenSun3DS posted...
Will it be possible to upgrade to a 9000 series processor (when those are released) from this motherboard?

Judging by intel's previous mobo + CPU requirements, no.
Ryzen 1600X | MSI B350 'Tomahawk' | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-Sync (1ms G2G)
Switch

User Info: iemerg_

iemerg_
3 weeks ago#12
don't listen to these bozos... In gaming the 8350K overclocked will outperform any Ryzen. Games don't use more than 4 cores and probably never will, some games do but very few. People are still rocking i5's from years ago with no issue. The stigma on these boards of you need the best or don't bother is quite annoying, the new i3 is the old i5 and an i5 is more than enough for 1080p/ultra gaming.

OP: you should have invested in a overclockable motherboard and should have spent another $30 for atleast a NZXT S340 or something..
7700K@5.0 - 1080 - EVGA 750 - 16GB DDR4 - Z270 ASUS
H100v2 - Evolv ATX - 500GB SAMSUNG SSD - 1TB WD BLACK
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
3 weeks ago#13
PCpartpicker shows the i5 8400 going for 200 USD.

Coffee Lake i3 is OK for gaming, but it is worse than 4+ core/thread CPUs in modern games. People telling you games don't use more than four cores are lying and have been lying for years.

You typically want to get one of the best CPUs directly since there won't be any good upgrade path in the future, other than getting a new motherboard again. Two years from now you will still be limited to the CPU selection you have today.

Overclocking has lost its value compared to ten years ago.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: GoldenSun3DS

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#14
iemerg_ posted...
don't listen to these bozos... In gaming the 8350K overclocked will outperform any Ryzen. Games don't use more than 4 cores and probably never will, some games do but very few. People are still rocking i5's from years ago with no issue. The stigma on these boards of you need the best or don't bother is quite annoying, the new i3 is the old i5 and an i5 is more than enough for 1080p/ultra gaming.

OP: you should have invested in a overclockable motherboard and should have spent another $30 for atleast a NZXT S340 or something..

I think there's some confusion:
I haven't bought any of this yet.
GPD Win PC handheld: Intel Atom X7 Z8700 @2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64GB storage, 6700mAh battery, 1280x720 resolution
"Why? Because of... DESTINY? PAH ha ha

User Info: revolver

revolver
3 weeks ago#15
get the i5.

User Info: theswatleader

theswatleader
3 weeks ago#16
Upgrade your cpu. Why have it be a bottleneck in any application when a step up to an i5 or i7 is a matter of a few hundred at most. Also what are you doing with a 5k monitor? Just curious if its gaming or content creation.

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
3 weeks ago#17
theswatleader posted...
Also what are you doing with a 5k monitor?

This. What are you trying to do?
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#18
ClunkerSlim posted...
theswatleader posted...
Also what are you doing with a 5k monitor?

This. What are you trying to do?

Emulation at 5K, hence the importance of single thread performance.

My old R9 270 and i5 4690 did 4K quite well, but I had to sell it last year. Since I'm going to build a new PC now, I may as well upgrade to 5K.

I didn't make this thread to discuss my CPU/monitor choice. It's everything else that I'm not sure about.
GPD Win PC handheld: Intel Atom X7 Z8700 @2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64GB storage, 6700mAh battery, 1280x720 resolution

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#19
So how do I know if the board can overclock or not?

User Info: Samurai_Man

Samurai_Man
2 weeks ago#20
Why are you doing emulation on a 5k screen? Are you even getting anything out of that because it seems like a waste of money with the current build you've spec-ed out .
It's your friendly neighborhood Samurai Man.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Building a new PC (i3 8350K, adding a GPU later). I could use some advice

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.