This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Building a new PC (i3 8350K, adding a GPU later). I could use some advice

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Building a new PC (i3 8350K, adding a GPU later). I could use some advice

User Info: GoldenSun3DS

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#21
Samurai_Man posted...
Why are you doing emulation on a 5k screen? Are you even getting anything out of that because it seems like a waste of money with the current build you've spec-ed out .

For the same reason you'd want it for general gaming purposes: gaming at a high resolution.

I had a 4K monitor before, so I want to get an upgrade on the resolution. I'm not getting a GPU yet because something like a GTX 1080 would be a waste at 1080P but I don't want to just get a cheap GPU that'll just get replaced.

I'm just hoping 5K becomes more feasible by tax return season next year so I can reasonably get one for less than $1500.

But what I need advice on is what case, motherboard, etc to get. I'm already settled on CPU, GPU and monitor.
GPD Win PC handheld: Intel Atom X7 Z8700 @2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64GB storage, 6700mAh battery, 1280x720 resolution
"Why? Because of... DESTINY? PAH ha ha

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 weeks ago#22
GoldenSun3DS posted...
Besides, I'm looking for budget parts right now

Then forget that '5K' monitor, for one thing the monitor won't be cheap, for another you need a high-end GPU setup to drive games at high resolutions, and lastly that lower-end CPU will become a bottleneck at 4K+ resolution. it's weird that you insist on a ludicrously high resolution, but won't budge on using a lower-end CPU etc. If you want to game/emulate at high-res, you need a powerful, balanced system. This has been proven in countless benchmarks by any number of sources.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
(edited 3 weeks ago)

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#23
JKatarn posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
Besides, I'm looking for budget parts right now

Then forget that '5K' monitor, for one thing the monitor won't be cheap, for another you need a high-end GPU setup to drive games at high resolutions, and lastly that lower-end CPU will become a bottleneck at 4K+ resolution.

Why would it?

CPU has nothing to do with increasing resolution, except for FPS above 60. The GPU would be the bigger bottleneck at 5K even with a GTX 1080 Ti.

I did 4K on i5 4690/R9 270 just fine. I even got Runescape NXT client running at 5K at around 20FPS (30FPS at 4K) and Skyrim (before Remastered version) maxed out at 4K with 30FPS.

Also, I meant budget for now (I can spend around $900 total). But I'm getting a 6TB HDD for $200 so I guess that's out the window. I won't need to worry much about budget next year with the tax refund.
GPD Win PC handheld: Intel Atom X7 Z8700 @2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64GB storage, 6700mAh battery, 1280x720 resolution

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#24
Also, for emulation and MMOs, thread count doesn't really matter above 4. I insist on this CPU because it's got very close to the same single thread performance as the i7 8700 for much cheaper, as long as I overclock.

And even if 4 threads becomes an issue later, I doubt an i7 8700 would do much better.

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
3 weeks ago#25
This entire thread is bizarre. Insisting on a 5K resolution for emulation while also insisting on an i3 and $25 case. For whatever reason, TC has locked himself into this decision and doesn't seem open to logic or reason. My advice is to let this thread die. TC, good luck with Super Mario Brothers at 5K.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
3 weeks ago#26
emulation is the most demanding task for CPU, if it was me I would get i7-8700k and oc to 5ghz+.

the extra threads help a lot for software emulation in cases where hardware emulation is glitchy.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#27
ClunkerSlim posted...
This entire thread is bizarre. Insisting on a 5K resolution for emulation while also insisting on an i3 and $25 case. For whatever reason, TC has locked himself into this decision and doesn't seem open to logic or reason. My advice is to let this thread die. TC, good luck with Super Mario Brothers at 5K.

I never said anything about being locked into the case. My CPU and monitor choice is irrelevant. I'm asking about the other parts.

User Info: Sayoria

Sayoria
3 weeks ago#28
;D
Japanese Crack: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5pzggr

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
3 weeks ago#29
GoldenSun3DS posted...
ClunkerSlim posted...

I never said anything about being locked into the case. My CPU and monitor choice is irrelevant. I'm asking about the other parts.

What do you want us to say?

The $25 case is probably a piece of s***.
The PSU is probably under Tier 5 and a piece of s***.
Going with one stick of RAM is a bad idea.

You're building a mismatched system that's probably going to bottleneck and suffer from high temperatures, all to weirdly play Runescape at 20FPS and some other emulated games at 5K. It's a dumb f*** idea or you're not explaining it properly. Why the hell you think an NES emulator is going to benefit from 5K is beyond me. But by all means, let's make sure Atari 2600's ET is running at a 5K resolution.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 weeks ago#30
ClunkerSlim posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
ClunkerSlim posted...

What do you want us to say?

The $25 case is probably a piece of s***.
The PSU is probably under Tier 5 and a piece of s***.
Going with one stick of RAM is a bad idea.

You're building a mismatched system that's probably going to bottleneck and suffer from high temperatures, all to weirdly play Runescape at 20FPS and some other emulated games at 5K. It's a dumb f*** idea or you're not explaining it properly. Why the hell you think an NES emulator is going to benefit from 5K is beyond me. But by all means, let's make sure Atari 2600's ET is running at a 5K resolution.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
(edited 3 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Building a new PC (i3 8350K, adding a GPU later). I could use some advice

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.