This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Building a new PC (i3 8350K, adding a GPU later). I could use some advice

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Building a new PC (i3 8350K, adding a GPU later). I could use some advice

User Info: Samurai_Man

Samurai_Man
3 weeks ago#31
JKatarn posted...
ClunkerSlim posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
ClunkerSlim posted...
This entire thread is bizarre. Insisting on a 5K resolution for emulation while also insisting on an i3 and $25 case. For whatever reason, TC has locked himself into this decision and doesn't seem open to logic or reason. My advice is to let this thread die. TC, good luck with Super Mario Brothers at 5K.

I never said anything about being locked into the case. My CPU and monitor choice is irrelevant. I'm asking about the other parts.

What do you want us to say?

The $25 case is probably a piece of s***.
The PSU is probably under Tier 5 and a piece of s***.
Going with one stick of RAM is a bad idea.

You're building a mismatched system that's probably going to bottleneck and suffer from high temperatures, all to weirdly play Runescape at 20FPS and some other emulated games at 5K. It's a dumb f*** idea or you're not explaining it properly. Why the hell you think an NES emulator is going to benefit from 5K is beyond me. But by all means, let's make sure Atari 2600's ET is running at a 5K resolution.

LOL This. Also TC you said in a post that CPU is irrelevant we're all sitting here telling you it is.... You're logic is beyond me haha
It's your friendly neighborhood Samurai Man.

User Info: GoldenSun3DS

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#32
My CPU choice is irrelevant to the rest of the system, which is what I was asking for recommendations for.

Also, I'll be emulating high end systems like the Wii and Wii U where single thread performance is the most important thing, and having more than 4 cores doesn't help (and so is a waste of money).

5K is a definite help for emulating 3D systems like the Wii, which can be run at that resolution. There's also general Steam games. 4K is awesome, and 5K is going to be even better.

Stop focusing so much on my CPU and monitor choice. This CPU is important to my use-case and 5K is just a long-term goal to upgrade to (which has nothing to do with the CPU). I only mentioned it because I'm going to need to keep that in mind when choosing parts.
GPD Win PC handheld: Intel Atom X7 Z8700 @2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64GB storage, 6700mAh battery, 1280x720 resolution
"Why? Because of... DESTINY? PAH ha ha

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#33
I just ordered this 6TB HDD:
https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16822235281

and this 450W EVGA PSU:
https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA65C6JD4657

I still don't know anything about RAM, motherboard and case. Specifically which ones to get.

I added that NZXT case from the other person's recommendation.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Z9p323/nzxt-s340-matte-whitepurple-atx-mid-tower-case-ca-s340w-w3

I have not bought the case yet.
GPD Win PC handheld: Intel Atom X7 Z8700 @2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64GB storage, 6700mAh battery, 1280x720 resolution
(edited 3 weeks ago)

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#34
I also just ordered this SSD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-147-372

Current part list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZQZtjc

I'll be getting 16GB of RAM (2 sticks), but which ones should I get?
(edited 3 weeks ago)

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#35
This isn't listed in PCPartPicker, but how do I tell if this RAM is compatible with the motherboard in my partlist?

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16820236226
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Samurai_Man

Samurai_Man
3 weeks ago#36
Dude.... CPU choice is the most relevant part.... I don't think anyone here has anything left to say to try and help you, you seem pretty dead set on your decisions already and not taking rational criticism.
It's your friendly neighborhood Samurai Man.

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#37
Samurai_Man posted...
Dude.... CPU choice is the most relevant part.... I don't think anyone here has anything left to say to try and help you, you seem pretty dead set on your decisions already and not taking rational criticism.

Dude. If someone asks for recommendations for a good restaurant, you'd refuse to help because they won't budge on the gas station they want to go to.

My CPU has nothing to do with advice on the motherboard, RAM and case.

User Info: Abyss89

Abyss89
3 weeks ago#38
450 power supply? Wouldn't go over a 1060 for the gpu.

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
3 weeks ago#39
godplaysSNES posted...
PCpartpicker shows the i5 8400 going for 200 USD.

Coffee Lake i3 is OK for gaming, but it is worse than 4+ core/thread CPUs in modern games. People telling you games don't use more than four cores are lying and have been lying for years.

You typically want to get one of the best CPUs directly since there won't be any good upgrade path in the future, other than getting a new motherboard again. Two years from now you will still be limited to the CPU selection you have today.

Overclocking has lost its value compared to ten years ago.

My system has a 5 year old CPU in it and runs things just fine still....
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 weeks ago#40
holy crap newegg is scummy with those discounts these days.
"80% off! only *not much below standard msrp* for a limited time only! Down from (4~5x msrp)"

You may want to consider faster/lower latency RAM. It can really help with CPU frequency scaling for more demanding tasks, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it could bump up lows for some emulators.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud
(edited 3 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Building a new PC (i3 8350K, adding a GPU later). I could use some advice

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.