This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Building a new PC (i3 8350K, adding a GPU later). I could use some advice

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Building a new PC (i3 8350K, adding a GPU later). I could use some advice

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
3 weeks ago#51
GoldenSun3DS posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
What would be a good PSU under $100 that would be reliable with good reputation?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TgW9TW/seasonic-power-supply-m12ii520bronze

This one.... Its a Tier 2 quality PSU and its fully modular to boot

Thanks.

Updated part list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3VXCjc

I decided on a new CPU cooler, so I needed a different case. I'll be returning that other PSU when I get it, and I picked out 2 RAM sticks with high speed and low latency.

I almost have it all purchased (see part list).

I wished you haven't purchased the CPU yet as you could of used the money that you are going to use for that cooler towards a better CPU..... Those may be the best Air CPU coolers BUT they are overpriced as hell as you can get a decent water cooler for less...
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: Samurai_Man

Samurai_Man
3 weeks ago#52
Really can't tell if this is a troll topic or if TC just really wanted to build an ass backwards/overpriced not up to par machine lmao.
It's your friendly neighborhood Samurai Man.

User Info: GoldenSun3DS

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#53
Fade2black001 posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
What would be a good PSU under $100 that would be reliable with good reputation?

Thanks.

Updated part list:

I decided on a new CPU cooler, so I needed a different case. I'll be returning that other PSU when I get it, and I picked out 2 RAM sticks with high speed and low latency.

I wished you haven't purchased the CPU yet as you could of used the money that you are going to use for that cooler towards a better CPU..... Those may be the best Air CPU coolers BUT they are overpriced as hell as you can get a decent water cooler for less...

Well, my goal is best possible emulation performance for those few games (like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers) that get slowdown issues.

So it's either i3 8350K or i7 8700K. Anything else will be worse than the i3 8350K (overclocked) for emulation. And the i7 8700K is about $300 more.
GPD Win PC handheld: Intel Atom X7 Z8700 @2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64GB storage, 6700mAh battery, 1280x720 resolution
"Why? Because of... DESTINY? PAH ha ha

Fade2black001
3 weeks ago#54
GoldenSun3DS posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...

Thanks.

Updated part list:

Well, my goal is best possible emulation performance for those few games (like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers) that get slowdown issues.

So it's either i3 8350K or i7 8700K. Anything else will be worse than the i3 8350K (overclocked) for emulation. And the i7 8700K is about $300 more.

Dude... I'm on a stock 3570k (5 year old CPU) amd I can do PS2, GC and Wii emulation fine, hell I can even Do WiiU if the game is fairly optimized.

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#55
Samurai_Man posted...
Really can't tell if this is a troll topic or if TC just really wanted to build an ass backwards/overpriced not up to par machine lmao.

https://i.imgur.com/Nj6TM6e.jpg

I had an i5 4690, 8GB DDR3 RAM, R9 270 and a 4K monitor before I had to sell it (although it was my first PC and a heavily upgraded prebuilt). I'm not scared to do a "unique" build.

I don't see the point of paying $300 more for 2 more cores when 4 is just fine, and was fine with 4 weaker cores in my old PC.
GPD Win PC handheld: Intel Atom X7 Z8700 @2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64GB storage, 6700mAh battery, 1280x720 resolution

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#56
Fade2black001 posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...

Thanks.

Updated part list:

Dude... I'm on a stock 3570k (5 year old CPU) amd I can do PS2, GC and Wii emulation fine, hell I can even Do WiiU if the game is fairly optimized.

Some games still get random slowdown, like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers. I'm trying to eliminate that with brute force.

User Info: Samurai_Man

Samurai_Man
3 weeks ago#57
GoldenSun3DS posted...
Samurai_Man posted...

https://i.imgur.com/Nj6TM6e.jpg

I had an i5 4690, 8GB DDR3 RAM, R9 270 and a 4K monitor before I had to sell it (although it was my first PC and a heavily upgraded prebuilt). I'm not scared to do a "unique" build.

I don't see the point of paying $300 more for 2 more cores when 4 is just fine, and was fine with 4 weaker cores in my old PC.

Oh nice, so you actually bought this bottlenecked as hell system lmao ok well good luck running 5K with that lololololol
It's your friendly neighborhood Samurai Man.

Fade2black001
3 weeks ago#58
GoldenSun3DS posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...

Thanks.

Updated part list:

Some games still get random slowdown, like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers. I'm trying to eliminate that with brute force.

Yeah but how long do those slowdowns last for? A few seconds? I mean to me you have major OCD problem about slowdowns. I can see if the whole game was slow in general but just slodowns anf just at certain time for just a short few seconds is very bearable but that's just me.

I say you can get a system decent for emulation for like 400 bucks if you get used parts. Hell you don't even need an SSD for emulation either. You could of knocked down the cooler and removed the SSD and got an I7.....

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#59
Fade2black001 posted...
Yeah but how long do those slowdowns last for? A few seconds? I mean to me you have major OCD problem about slowdowns. I can see if the whole game was slow in general but just slodowns anf just at certain time for just a short few seconds is very bearable but that's just me.

I say you can get a system decent for emulation for like 400 bucks if you get used parts. Hell you don't even need an SSD for emulation either. You could of knocked down the cooler and removed the SSD and got an I7.....

Everytime you do a "roll" move, it slowed down to like 2FPS for 3-5 seconds. Also triggered by other unpredictable events such as grabbing an enemy.

The air cooler is because I don't want the risk of a liquid cooler, and the SSD is just to have the OS installed on it for faster general performance.

EDIT:
Also, I need to update my sig because I sold my handheld laptop.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Fade2black001
3 weeks ago#60
GoldenSun3DS posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

Everytime you do a "roll" move, it slowed down to like 2FPS for 3-5 seconds. Also triggered by other unpredictable events such as grabbing an enemy.

The air cooler is because I don't want the risk of a liquid cooler, and the SSD is just to have the OS installed on it for faster general performance.

EDIT:
Also, I need to update my sig because I sold my handheld laptop.

You do not need a 250GB SSD for an OS only. An 80GB one is still way more than enough for that purpose. So you can save money there by downgrading. With all of this money you could be saving could of easily have gotten an I7 CPU with money to spare still
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Building a new PC (i3 8350K, adding a GPU later). I could use some advice

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.