This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Building a new PC (i3 8350K, adding a GPU later). I could use some advice

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Building a new PC (i3 8350K, adding a GPU later). I could use some advice

User Info: GoldenSun3DS

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#61
Fade2black001 posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
Yeah but how long do those slowdowns last for? A few seconds? I mean to me you have major OCD problem about slowdowns. I can see if the whole game was slow in general but just slodowns anf just at certain time for just a short few seconds is very bearable but that's just me.

I say you can get a system decent for emulation for like 400 bucks if you get used parts. Hell you don't even need an SSD for emulation either. You could of knocked down the cooler and removed the SSD and got an I7.....

Everytime you do a "roll" move, it slowed down to like 2FPS for 3-5 seconds. Also triggered by other unpredictable events such as grabbing an enemy.

The air cooler is because I don't want the risk of a liquid cooler, and the SSD is just to have the OS installed on it for faster general performance.

EDIT:
Also, I need to update my sig because I sold my handheld laptop.

You do not need a 250GB SSD for an OS only. An 80GB one is still way more than enough for that purpose. So you can save money there by downgrading. With all of this money you could be saving could of easily have gotten an I7 CPU with money to spare still

Why are you guys so fixated on my CPU choice? 4 cores is plenty for gaming since most games don't use more than that and it's a high clock speed quad core (with overclocking).
GPD Win PC handheld: Intel Atom X7 Z8700 @2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64GB storage, 6700mAh battery, 1280x720 resolution
"Why? Because of... DESTINY? PAH ha ha
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
3 weeks ago#62
GoldenSun3DS posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
Yeah but how long do those slowdowns last for? A few seconds? I mean to me you have major OCD problem about slowdowns. I can see if the whole game was slow in general but just slodowns anf just at certain time for just a short few seconds is very bearable but that's just me.

I say you can get a system decent for emulation for like 400 bucks if you get used parts. Hell you don't even need an SSD for emulation either. You could of knocked down the cooler and removed the SSD and got an I7.....

Everytime you do a "roll" move, it slowed down to like 2FPS for 3-5 seconds. Also triggered by other unpredictable events such as grabbing an enemy.

The air cooler is because I don't want the risk of a liquid cooler, and the SSD is just to have the OS installed on it for faster general performance.

EDIT:
Also, I need to update my sig because I sold my handheld laptop.

You do not need a 250GB SSD for an OS only. An 80GB one is still way more than enough for that purpose. So you can save money there by downgrading. With all of this money you could be saving could of easily have gotten an I7 CPU with money to spare still

Why are you guys so fixated on my CPU choice? 4 cores is plenty for gaming since most games don't use more than that and it's a high clock speed quad core (with overclocking).

It sjust that you could of done a lot better in the performance department instead of wasting money but whatever. Oh and yes 4 cores is enough for emulation and 99.5% of games.
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: EvilGiygas

EvilGiygas
3 weeks ago#63
RIP new computer. That CPU is something else...
"I just came from the gym while you were munching on Doritos and sipping Mountain Dew in your mother's basement." - Kinjo

User Info: wantfastcars

wantfastcars
3 weeks ago#64
GoldenSun3DS posted...

Because the CPU (and, because >sockets, your mobo) are the parts in your build that should last you the longest. More games are starting to scale past four cores, and in general usage having extra cores doesn't hurt. On top of that, hexacores and hyperthreaded quadcores are available for cheaper than what you paid for that i3 - especially if current PCPartPicker prices are anything to judge by - and, while they might not be as good for emulation, will be better for overall system performance and will last longer. Now that Hexacore and higher CPUs are available for mass market for reasonable prices, and with some current AAA games already scaling past 4 cores, buying a CPU that only has 4 cores and no hyperthreading just isn't a good idea.

Even if it isn't holding you back when you build your PC in a week, in a year or two you'll be feeling the weight of a crappy CPU while people who made sane, rational decisions regarding the supposedly longest-lived part of their PC won't be starting to worry for another 2-3 years after that.
Now Playing: Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
Now, let's count up your sins!

User Info: pyromania86

pyromania86
3 weeks ago#65
Samurai_Man posted...
JKatarn posted...
ClunkerSlim posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
ClunkerSlim posted...
This entire thread is bizarre. Insisting on a 5K resolution for emulation while also insisting on an i3 and $25 case. For whatever reason, TC has locked himself into this decision and doesn't seem open to logic or reason. My advice is to let this thread die. TC, good luck with Super Mario Brothers at 5K.

I never said anything about being locked into the case. My CPU and monitor choice is irrelevant. I'm asking about the other parts.

What do you want us to say?

The $25 case is probably a piece of s***.
The PSU is probably under Tier 5 and a piece of s***.
Going with one stick of RAM is a bad idea.

You're building a mismatched system that's probably going to bottleneck and suffer from high temperatures, all to weirdly play Runescape at 20FPS and some other emulated games at 5K. It's a dumb f*** idea or you're not explaining it properly. Why the hell you think an NES emulator is going to benefit from 5K is beyond me. But by all means, let's make sure Atari 2600's ET is running at a 5K resolution.

LOL This. Also TC you said in a post that CPU is irrelevant we're all sitting here telling you it is.... You're logic is beyond me haha

Your CPU choice is the most important part for emulation. WTF are you doing TC?
i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz | CRYORIG H7 | XFX GTR RX-480 8GB | 16GB DDR4 @ 3200 | MSI Z270 | SSD x2 | SSHD 2TB
http://gamercards.exophase.com/128564.png

User Info: EvilGiygas

EvilGiygas
3 weeks ago#66
pyromania86 posted...

I'm fairly certain the TC is trolling. There's no way to take any of his logic seriously.
"I just came from the gym while you were munching on Doritos and sipping Mountain Dew in your mother's basement." - Kinjo

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
3 weeks ago#67
EvilGiygas posted...
pyromania86 posted...

I'm fairly certain the TC is trolling. There's no way to take any of his logic seriously.

The CPU he chose is perfectly fine for emulation....
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: iemerg_

iemerg_
2 weeks ago#68
GoldenSun3DS posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
What would be a good PSU under $100 that would be reliable with good reputation?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TgW9TW/seasonic-power-supply-m12ii520bronze

This one.... Its a Tier 2 quality PSU and its fully modular to boot

Thanks.

Updated part list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3VXCjc

I decided on a new CPU cooler, so I needed a different case. I'll be returning that other PSU when I get it, and I picked out 2 RAM sticks with high speed and low latency.

I almost have it all purchased (see part list).

imo save money by getting the Cryorig H7 and sticking with the S340.
You can then used the saved money somewhere else that's needed like maybe getting an i5 or a bigger SSD or something.

Should have also went with the Western Digital PCIe m.2 256GB for $90 it's about 7x faster than the Samsung Evo.
7700K@5.0 - 1080 - EVGA 750 - 16GB DDR4 - Z270 ASUS
H100v2 - Evolv ATX - 500GB SAMSUNG SSD - 1TB WD BLACK
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: GoldenSun3DS

GoldenSun3DS
2 weeks ago#69
iemerg_ posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
What would be a good PSU under $100 that would be reliable with good reputation?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TgW9TW/seasonic-power-supply-m12ii520bronze

This one.... Its a Tier 2 quality PSU and its fully modular to boot

Thanks.

Updated part list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3VXCjc

I decided on a new CPU cooler, so I needed a different case. I'll be returning that other PSU when I get it, and I picked out 2 RAM sticks with high speed and low latency.

I almost have it all purchased (see part list).

imo save money by getting the Cryorig H7 and sticking with the S340.
You can then used the saved money somewhere else that's needed like maybe getting an i5 or a bigger SSD or something.

Should have also went with the Western Digital PCIe m.2 256GB for $90 it's about 7x faster than the Samsung Evo.

I'd rather keep the high end CPU cooler because I will be overclocking it, which means I can't use that other case. And I've already purchased the SSD. The i5 would have worse single thread performance.
In-progress PC: i3-8350K, 16GB DDR4-3600 (2x8), Gigabyte Z370 motherboard, WD Black 6TB HDD, 250GB SSD, Seasonic 520W PSU, Noctua NH-D15 cooler, Phanteks case

User Info: pyromania86

pyromania86
2 weeks ago#70
I can't believe this garbage build. You spend $100 to cool and overclock an i3 when an H7 would give you the same OC and temperatures. Must be your first build..
i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz | CRYORIG H7 | XFX GTR RX-480 8GB | 16GB DDR4 @ 3200 | MSI Z270 | SSD x2 | SSHD 2TB
http://gamercards.exophase.com/128564.png
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Building a new PC (i3 8350K, adding a GPU later). I could use some advice

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.