This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How to find memory leaks?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How to find memory leaks?

User Info: Loui5planks

Loui5planks
3 weeks ago#1
I was playing league of legends yesterday just fine, 144fps gsynced all that.

Today I play my first game and my fps fluctuated between 80-144.

Anyone know how I can troubleshoot this?
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 | Core i7-6700k | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 FE | NZXT. S340 Razer Edition

User Info: gpo1zephyranthes

gpo1zephyranthes
3 weeks ago#2
memtest64 , search google on how to use it

User Info: 1337toothbrush

1337toothbrush
3 weeks ago#3
A memory leak is when a program does not free up its memory. This is only a possible problem if the application is long-running or if the operating system does not free up the memory after the program has ended. Since all modern desktop operating systems most certainly free up the memory after program exit, it's definitely not the latter. You're saying you just played your first game, so it's not League of Legends that is leaking memory, unless it's leaking memory right from the start.

To actually diagnose a memory leak in Windows, simply open up the task manager (ctrl+shift+esc), make sure you're in "More details" (check the bottom of the window), go to the Processes tab, and click on Memory to sort by memory usage. If your memory usage is not even close to 100% usage, then memory leakage is not a problem, but you can check to see which programs are using up lots of memory (potentially due to leakage).
:D
https://imgur.com/a/FU9H8

User Info: Loui5planks

Loui5planks
3 weeks ago#4
1337toothbrush posted...
A memory leak is when a program does not free up its memory. This is only a possible problem if the application is long-running or if the operating system does not free up the memory after the program has ended. Since all modern desktop operating systems most certainly free up the memory after program exit, it's definitely not the latter. You're saying you just played your first game, so it's not League of Legends that is leaking memory, unless it's leaking memory right from the start.

To actually diagnose a memory leak in Windows, simply open up the task manager (ctrl+shift+esc), make sure you're in "More details" (check the bottom of the window), go to the Processes tab, and click on Memory to sort by memory usage. If your memory usage is not even close to 100% usage, then memory leakage is not a problem, but you can check to see which programs are using up lots of memory (potentially due to leakage).

Awesome, we have a pc god. I did some snooping and found out there are twitch streamers also reporting a fps loss. What's interesting to me is that they reported losing more fps as the game goes on (games last 30-45min) but my fps loss was apparent from the start.

My ram sits at a lofty 35% even with google open. I've yet to try other games to see if it's the os. I ran memtest64 for like 15min but don't know what to do with the results as I've yet to google it like the guy above said. Also not sure if 15min was enough to diagnose anything as I turned it off to be able to use my pc.
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 | Core i7-6700k | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 FE | NZXT. S340 Razer Edition

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
3 weeks ago#5
It's common for frequently updated games to attain memory leak issues when there weren't any prior. Blizzard is notorious for this, though they usually fix it within 24 hours.
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

User Info: ShadosAtPhoenix

ShadosAtPhoenix
3 weeks ago#6
Loui5planks posted...
Today I play my first game and my fps fluctuated between 80-144

Are you playing windowed? If so something else might be having frame rate issues (browser, etc) and the game is syncing to that frame rate.

Otherwise, look for anything that could be affecting frame rate. Things like Slack or keyboard software (Logitech, Im looking at you) do weird things that will tank frame rate randomly. Try close everything while watching frame rate to find an offender.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How to find memory leaks?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived